Be aware of your camera mechanical shutter expected lifetime.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,195
Be aware of your camera mechanical shutter expected lifetime.

Some Canon cameras have a higher quality shutter built into the camera body than others. Incidentally, this is true of all cameras, not just Canon models  and Sony tens to be less than the recent best 500,000 shot Canon models.  I had he the shutter replaced one for $300 years ago when I had 225,000 shots  on a 100,000 shot Canon shutter.  IMO Can makes awesome arifact free mechanical shutters like no other company.

Note: These numbers don’t mean your camera shutter is guaranteed to fail at or near this count. Some shutters go well beyond these numbers while others don’t make these numbers. This is the number of actuations the shutter is designed and warrantied to reach.

Camera Model Shutter Actuation Lifespan
Canon 1D Mark IV 300,000
Canon 1D C/1D X Mark II/1D X 400,000
Canon 1D X Mark III 500,000
Canon 5DS/5DS R 150,000
Canon 5D Mark IV/ 5D Mark III/5D Mark II 150,000
Canon 6D Mark II/6D 150,000
Canon 7D Mark II 200,000
Canon 7D 150,000
Canon 90D 120,000
Canon 80D/70D/60D/50D/40D 100,000
Canon M6 Mark II/M6/M5 /M3/M50/M10 100,000
Canon R5 500,000
Canon R6 300,000
Canon R 200,000
Canon RP 100,000
Canon Rebel(T7i through T1i) 100,000

The Electronic Shutter when used will not wear the mechanical shutter except for turning on or off the camera.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RDKirk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,930
Re: Be aware of your camera mechanical shutter expected lifetime.

RDM5546 wrote:

Some Canon cameras have a higher quality shutter built into the camera body than others. Incidentally, this is true of all cameras, not just Canon models and Sony tens to be less than the recent best 500,000 shot Canon models. I had he the shutter replaced one for $300 years ago when I had 225,000 shots on a 100,000 shot Canon shutter. IMO Can makes awesome arifact free mechanical shutters like no other company.

Note: These numbers don’t mean your camera shutter is guaranteed to fail at or near this count. Some shutters go well beyond these numbers while others don’t make these numbers. This is the number of actuations the shutter is designed and warrantied to reach.

Camera Model Shutter Actuation Lifespan
Canon 1D Mark IV 300,000
Canon 1D C/1D X Mark II/1D X 400,000
Canon 1D X Mark III 500,000
Canon 5DS/5DS R 150,000
Canon 5D Mark IV/ 5D Mark III/5D Mark II 150,000
Canon 6D Mark II/6D 150,000
Canon 7D Mark II 200,000
Canon 7D 150,000
Canon 90D 120,000
Canon 80D/70D/60D/50D/40D 100,000
Canon M6 Mark II/M6/M5 /M3/M50/M10 100,000
Canon R5 500,000
Canon R6 300,000
Canon R 200,000
Canon RP 100,000
Canon Rebel(T7i through T1i) 100,000

The Electronic Shutter when used will not wear the mechanical shutter except for turning on or off the camera.

Not sweating it.

-- hide signature --

RDKirk
'TANSTAAFL: The only unbreakable rule in photography.'

RDKirk's gear list:RDKirk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +7 more
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,118

Yeah I was very impressed and comfortable to learn the R5 I got had such a high rating in this regard. I sure do love how quiet and precise it sounds as well. Very comforting indeed.

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,082

Thanks, good information.  I don’t want my M50 or RP to see it, they both have way more than 100K clicks on them

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

SteveinLouisville
SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 489

Curious, has anyone here ever had a shutter "wear out"?  If so, what happened and how many clicks did it take to wear it out?

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,082

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Curious, has anyone here ever had a shutter "wear out"? If so, what happened and how many clicks did it take to wear it out?

Yes, many times (yeah I like to hear that clicking sound).  Usually the camera won’t take photos anymore.  Instead you get a muffled or partial click sound and an error message.  The recorded image usually has part of it blacked out.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,559

RDM5546 wrote:

This is the number of actuations the shutter is designed and warrantied to reach.

That is not true about warranty.  The cameras all have warranties that are time based.  Canon will not cover a failed shutter outside of the warranty period (typically 1 year) no matter how few actuations the camera has.  .

diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,726

ProDude wrote:

Yeah I was very impressed and comfortable to learn the R5 I got had such a high rating in this regard. I sure do love how quiet and precise it sounds as well. Very comforting indeed.

Yes, in some ways though it probably needs to be a pretty high rating given 12 fps!  The R is only rated to 200,000 but with how slow it's continuous shooting is, that's probably ok

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
1DSmII Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

BirdShooter7 wrote:

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Curious, has anyone here ever had a shutter "wear out"? If so, what happened and how many clicks did it take to wear it out?

Yes, many times (yeah I like to hear that clicking sound). Usually the camera won’t take photos anymore. Instead you get a muffled or partial click sound and an error message. The recorded image usually has part of it blacked out.

In my experience, the first symptoms are usually visible when using the shortest shutter speeds (1/8000 or 1/4000), and show up as a dark horizontal band at the bottom of the image. My first experience of it was with a 1DS II, @ about 88K clicks IIRC.

-- hide signature --

Leo S.

1DSmII's gear list:1DSmII's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D +22 more
RDM5546
OP RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,195

tkbslc wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

This is the number of actuations the shutter is designed and warrantied to reach.

That is not true about warranty. The cameras all have warranties that are time based. Canon will not cover a failed shutter outside of the warranty period (typically 1 year) no matter how few actuations the camera has. .

Basically when it happens, not really if it happens because is you shoot enough it will happen. The worst sound you may have every heard. The sound hundreds of dollar going out the door. Canon swapped mine in two weeks and I it did not seem that much money considering it was dead and would not take picture and only made horrible sounds. I had the shutter replaced one for $300 12 years ago when I had 225,000 shots on a 100,000 shot Canon shutter.  I was shooting lots of high school football and indoor basketball games.   The camera came back perfect ready for 225,000 more shots.  No big deal except for $300, and two weeks of horrible thoughts and nightmares.

My first DSLR was the D30 and I have bought a new Canon DSLR and now MLC every couple of years.   This shutter failure was heartbreaking when it happend but it only happened once.  I shot more games that year but fortuneately it failed after the season was almost over.  I had a backup camera and all my lenses were good.  Still it was my first and only shutter in 38 years of film and digital shooting.   My cameras got faster in burst speed every couple of years. My R5 now does 12/20 fps.   I am very fond of the electronic shutter R5 with much lower artifact than the EOS R  and I am adjusting to only a visual click in the EVF and no shutter click.   However, I do love the quiet sound of the new R5 mechanical shutter.  Very smooth sound.

Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
Dan W Regular Member • Posts: 359

Not a big deal, never wore out a shutter. 200K is a lot of images, If your paid to be a photographer you will likely be replacing your camera before then. if your a casual shooter you will never get there. In the event you do wear out a shutter, they are cheaper than you know to replace. $250ish or less.

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
Rawpaul
Rawpaul Senior Member • Posts: 2,415

tkbslc wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

That is not true about warranty. The cameras all have warranties that are time based. Canon will not cover a failed shutter outside of the warranty period (typically 1 year) no matter how few actuations the camera has. .

That,s why i buy my camera,s at retailers with free extended 5 year warranty 

-- hide signature --

light is the source of all life.....

Rawpaul's gear list:Rawpaul's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Mike_13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,005

RDM5546 wrote:

. This is the number of actuations the shutter is designed and warrantied to reach.

No camera body is guaranteed or covered by warranty to reach those numbers!  That's very misleading...

Mike_13's gear list:Mike_13's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +10 more
STR54 Regular Member • Posts: 237

Mike_13 wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

. This is the number of actuations the shutter is designed and warrantied to reach.

No camera body is guaranteed or covered by warranty to reach those numbers! That's very misleading...

One could think the manufacturer would back up their claims of shutter life expectancy with a longer warranty period. Although you can purchase Canon extended coverage, it IMO should be included in a camera with a premium price tag such as the R5. As long as the expected shutter count is not exceeded during the warranty period.

Mike

STR54's gear list:STR54's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
RDKirk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,930

STR54 wrote:

Mike_13 wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

No camera body is guaranteed or covered by warranty to reach those numbers! That's very misleading...

One could think the manufacturer would back up their claims of shutter life expectancy with a longer warranty period. Although you can purchase Canon extended coverage, it IMO should be included in a camera with a premium price tag such as the R5. As long as the expected shutter count is not exceeded during the warranty period.

Mike

You're not going to get a drive manufacturer to warrant drives all the way to their MTBF. Nobody is going to warrant anything all the way to the point they've tested it to fail--they would have to replace nearly half their sold units. That would be economic foolishness.

It's only been since the 80s that manufacturers have even disclosed their shutter MTBFs.

-- hide signature --

RDKirk
'TANSTAAFL: The only unbreakable rule in photography.'

RDKirk's gear list:RDKirk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +7 more
RDM5546
OP RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,195

RDKirk wrote:

STR54 wrote:

Mike_13 wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

Mike

You're not going to get a drive manufacturer to warrant drives all the way to their MTBF. Nobody is going to warrant anything all the way to the point they've tested it to fail--they would have to replace nearly half their sold units. That would be economic foolishness.

It's only been since the 80s that manufacturers have even disclosed their shutter MTBFs.

I am grateful for these numbers stated by the manufacturer to give us guidance on how to reliably used the camera and when shutters might be living on borrowed time above the MTBF.  If you like two card slots you also should be paying attention to shutter count.

The use of Electronic shutter does not add much to shutter count except when turning the camera off and on.

samemilio Forum Member • Posts: 75

Thanks for sharing the symptoms of one that's on the way out! I've never had one go bad but feel like it's only a matter of time. Good to know what to look out for

samemilio's gear list:samemilio's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic S1 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads