Sony A7R iii and Loxia 35mm F2 quality ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
adam10 Regular Member • Posts: 375
Sony A7R iii and Loxia 35mm F2 quality ?

Hello,

I realise that this subject has been mentioned before.

I have purchased the A7R iii and have still to decide on a 35mm lens ( my favourite focal length )

I like the idea of manual focus. Like to shoot street, travel and landscape.

I love the look of the Loxia ( colours , micro contrast etc )

Is it capable at F5.6 or F8 of producing excellent A2 landscape / travel prints at 42mp ( ie prints with great colour , very good sharpness , typical Zeiss colour )

Thank you very much

Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
COtoNY Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: Sony A7R iii and Loxia 35mm F2 quality ?

adam10 wrote:

Hello,

I have purchased the A7R iii and have still to decide on a 35mm lens ( my favourite focal length )

Is it capable at F5.6 or F8 of producing excellent A2 landscape / travel prints at 42mp ( ie prints with great colour , very good sharpness , typical Zeiss colour )

Thank you very much

Didn't you already start a thread on this a couple weeks ago...?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4532618

COtoNY's gear list:COtoNY's gear list
Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +2 more
OP adam10 Regular Member • Posts: 375

COtoNY wrote:

adam10 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you very much

Hi COtoNY,

Yes I did indeed.  I have since ordered the A7R iii and was particularly interested in the Loxia 35mm and i's ability combined with the A7R iii to produce large A2 prints.  You are right and perhaps I should have kept to that thread and not started a new one.

Thanks.

Adam.

Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,483

adam10 wrote:

COtoNY wrote:

adam10 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you very much

Hi COtoNY,

Yes I did indeed. I have since ordered the A7R iii and was particularly interested in the Loxia 35mm and i's ability combined with the A7R iii to produce large A2 prints. You are right and perhaps I should have kept to that thread and not started a new one.

Very short: The Loxia 35 mm f:2 lens matches the A7rIII nicely, and now you should be aware of the temperament of this somewhat peculiar lens (I like mine a lot).

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
stevie wonder
stevie wonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,177

Make sure you get a good one. This lens has got a lot of bad press. I for one vote a Lemmon.

Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,483

stevie wonder wrote:

Make sure you get a good one. This lens has got a lot of bad press. I for one vote a Lemmon.

The bad press in hardly about sample variation, but what I name "temperament" of the lens:

• Lots of astigmatism at bright apertures - not suited for astrophotography
  • Some halos at f:2, need some more sharpening than stopped down to f:2.8 and smaller.

For landscapes and nightscapes, this lens shines at about f:5.6 or smaller apertures. For portraits and other kind of less fine detail oriented work, the lens does fine wide open, though, since contrast and color is great also at f:2.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
A-Marc
A-Marc Contributing Member • Posts: 726

adam10 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you very much

yes it is, this one is with the A7r2 100x50 cm

A-Marc's gear list:A-Marc's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
basleigh Contributing Member • Posts: 655

Classic shot of DELOREAN with gull-wings up. More inclined to keep my Sony 35mm f2,8 Zeiss rather than opt for Zeiss Loxia 35 f2 based on my photography; no enlargements.

Loxia improves on Sony 35mm f2,8 but not enough to switch. Manual focusing offers more control. New Sony 20mm f1,8 as my next purchase? That decision complicated by owning Fujifilm 16mm f1,4. Very different fields of view between 24mm / 20mm?

basleigh's gear list:basleigh's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
William Russell Contributing Member • Posts: 778

Hello and we have the Loxia 85 and the Loxia 25mm and these also are an incredible good combination with the Sony A7R IV.  Fabulous images and really enjoy all manual lenses and particularly the ones specifically designed for the Sony Alpha cameras.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads