Fred Samarane's gear list:Fred Samarane's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EOS 6D
Suave Senior Member • Posts: 2,198
Re: Any free shutter count on R

I doubt that.

-- hide signature --

Wait... is this a list?

Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D7000 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +7 more
iazybandit Contributing Member • Posts: 625

Just get ShutterCount by DireStudio for a one-time payment of $5-$6

https://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount/

Its the most reliable app there is but it works only on Mac or iOS. No Windows/PC

I've tried all these web based "free" shutter count version and they require you to upload the last picture. I have never ever gotten any of these to work or they end up giving an error when trying to get the information.

Due note that with the ShutterCount (and I've noticed with other paid apps) that the newer mirrorless cameras do not give you the actual shuttercount. This has to do with how Canon has done something on their end. So these apps will give you in increments of ~1000.

iazybandit's gear list:iazybandit's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS RP Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +1 more
dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 8,865

Why is it so hard to get that information? Why is it hidden?

-- hide signature --

---enjoys shooting with inferior gear, but tempted by better stuff---

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-200 Apple iPhone 12 Pro
Karl_Guttag Regular Member • Posts: 365

iazybandit wrote:

Just get ShutterCount by DireStudio for a one-time payment of $5-$6

https://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount/

Its the most reliable app there is but it works only on Mac or iOS. No Windows/PC

I've tried all these web based "free" shutter count version and they require you to upload the last picture. I have never ever gotten any of these to work or they end up giving an error when trying to get the information.

Due note that with the ShutterCount (and I've noticed with other paid apps) that the newer mirrorless cameras do not give you the actual shuttercount. This has to do with how Canon has done something on their end. So these apps will give you in increments of ~1000.

I just got the iPhone app (for my RP) and I could not figure out what it wanted me to do to connect it. You need to connect with the "EOS Utility" on the camera which uses a PC icon even though you are connecting to a smartphone.

This 2-minute video (shown using an 80D, but the icons are the same) shows how to do it (the menus are a little different on the 80D but the icon you are looking for is the same). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWOjvqE9QWI

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS RP Olympus E-M5 III Canon EOS 70D Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +15 more
MikeJ9116 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,785

Is there a Windows or Android version of this software?

Karl_Guttag Regular Member • Posts: 365

MikeJ9116 wrote:

According to this article which is recent and researched the shutter count software, the only shutter count software for Windows that works is from a no-name company in China. Take appropriate precautions accordingly (see article). I decided to go through the hassle on my iPhone. The other Windows applications don't work for newer Canon cameras.

https://phototacopodcast.com/getting-shutter-actuation-count-from-canon-cameras/

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS RP Olympus E-M5 III Canon EOS 70D Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +15 more

Explanation A:  Cameras with low shutter count are a viable and cost-efficient alternative to new cameras, making access to this information more complicated makes used cameras less attractive and may increase sales.

Explanation B:  Canon got peeved that people have hacked their OS.

-- hide signature --

Wait... is this a list?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D7000 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +7 more
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,185

Suave wrote:

Explanation A: Cameras with low shutter count are a viable and cost-efficient alternative to new cameras, making access to this information more complicated makes used cameras less attractive and may increase sales.

Explanation B: Canon got peeved that people have hacked their OS.

People were hacking the OS and then attempting to restore original OS without perfect success leaving behind remants of their hacked code. The camera were sold as used and then ended up in repair with odd bugs. Canon does not want used camera buyers to be fooled so they encryted their software more is my guess.

Canon should make shutter count and start date a standard feature of the camera IMO.

This part of the long list of things Canon should do that never get done.  There was a used EOS R buyer a few days ago on the forum that had a botched firmware from some hacker trying to turn it into an Astro model of the camera with modifed IR response.   When use as a normal camera this buyer thought he bought the pictues all had a major red tint.  This does not help Canon or used camera buyers at all.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R +38 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 22,267

Shutter count for mac

-- hide signature --

A wonderful conclusion.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Not anymore. They stopped supporting the Windows version because there wasn't enough demand and because of the cost to maintain it.

I don't know of any other shutter count apps for Windows.

Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS RP Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +1 more
LesT
LesT Regular Member • Posts: 305

Am I wrong to believe the standard picture naming keeps track?  Mind you I am just below 10K so dont know what will happen then...

LesT's gear list:LesT's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +1 more

LesT wrote:

Am I wrong to believe the standard picture naming keeps track? Mind you I am just below 10K so dont know what will happen then...

Incorrect. Just because the image has a number system does not mean it is accurate. After 9,999 images, it goes back to 0001. Not to mention there could be other factors that would not keep it accurate either such as switching to video, etc. Not to mention, the naming/numbering of filename can be reformatted back to 0001 and you wouldn't know what the shutter count is.

People look for shutter count to see how many shutter actuations there were. Shutters have a lifespan before it goes bad. They are like miles on a car.

If it was that simple, people wouldn't be making apps, websites or trying to find that holy grail of getting shutter counts.

dmanthree

Zeee wrote:

Shutter count for mac

Got a screen shot for the R?

-- hide signature --

dmanthree wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Shutter count for mac

Got a screen shot for the R?

A simple Google search

After 9999 it goes back to 0001.  In addition, if you were to plug in a card from a different Canon camera with photos on it, you camera may start following that numbering.

However.  In reality, vast majority of user never come even close to the limits, and when they do more often than not  those cameras either look the part, or have other systems failing.

-- hide signature --

Wait... is this a list?

LesT
LesT Regular Member • Posts: 305

iazybandit wrote:

LesT wrote:

Am I wrong to believe the standard picture naming keeps track? Mind you I am just below 10K so dont know what will happen then...

Incorrect. Just because the image has a number system does not mean it is accurate. After 9,999 images, it goes back to 0001. Not to mention there could be other factors that would not keep it accurate either such as switching to video, etc. Not to mention, the naming/numbering of filename can be reformatted back to 0001 and you wouldn't know what the shutter count is.

People look for shutter count to see how many shutter actuations there were. Shutters have a lifespan before it goes bad. They are like miles on a car.

If it was that simple, people wouldn't be making apps, websites or trying to find that holy grail of getting shutter counts.

Lol. Well aware of everything you just said but perhaps you should be asking why camera manufacturers have done away with this then. Well aware of why people want such and the solution is always...don't buy used or get to know just how used the camera was in the first place. Had a 5DMkIV and laughed at all those who asked about the shutter count.

Oh BTW...

https://www.laszlopusztai.net/2020/08/12/shuttercount-4-5-released-with-eos-r5-support/

LesT's gear list:LesT's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +1 more

Those who want to know WHY mirrorless doesn't give you actual shutter counts... here is the reason

"Newer Canon cameras, such as the EOS R and 1D X Mark III, feature a fully electronic shutter. Since it’s fully electronic, using it doesn’t count as “real, proper” shutter actuation."

dmanthree

Right, but I as hoping to hear from someone on this forum who has actually used it. Honestly, seeing "less than or equal to" doesn't inspire confidence in the software.

-- hide signature --

PicPocket Veteran Member • Posts: 4,170

dmanthree wrote:

Right, but I as hoping to hear from someone on this forum who has actually used it. Honestly, seeing "less than or equal to" doesn't inspire confidence in the software.

As was mentioned before, newer cameras only expose shutter count in increments of 1000. So irrespective of the app, all you will get is an approximate number. That is the most accurate number Canon has made available

In my workflow, I can also work out that approximation from my photos (always increasing sequence in file names)

-- hide signature --
 PicPocket's gear list:PicPocket's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads