X-T3 vs X-T4 (current and future differences)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,437
X-T3 vs X-T4 (current and future differences)

After failing to get the X-T3 with the 18-55 because stock run out during a promotion, i haven't seen any prices close to €1050. I was just a bit late...

So now i'm...waiting, as there were not black friday apealing deals.

During my wait i debated with myself if extra cost of the X-T4 would be a good investment.

Considerations:

1 - IBIS:

I only shoot family videos and usually with a stabilized lens, either 18-55 or 55-200, so not a must have.

However i shoot portraits and one of the lens i use is a Viltrox 85mm 1.8. How beneficial can flash be for this combo? Is it a considerable benefit or not?

At flash sync speeds i see IBIS as a probable improvement which could allow to save flash battery avoiding HSS. But at 1/250 in those two is it needed?

With my X-T30 the sync speed was 1/180s, and i didn't risk it and used 1/250 or above.

2 - Articulated screen:

Would preffer the Tilting screen from X-T3, but can get used to X-T4 easily i guess.

For street i use my X-T20 anyway, much smaller and good enough.

3 - Battery

Of course a real benefit, not that carrying around 1 or 2 extra batteries caused any issues, but i was planning to start doing weddings regularly as a second photographer last year and keep the plan for 2021 (maybe....), so this can be between a nice and must have.

4 - Future firmware updates

Here is the point that can balance the decision. What future updates can come to the X-T4? I see a few of them, some with benefits for myself:

a) Better AF / Eye-AF

b) Hi-Res or Pixel shift

c) Animal eye-AF (not really a decision factor for me)

Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
blink667 Contributing Member • Posts: 872
Re: X-T3 vs X-T4 (current and future differences)

Rmcp20 wrote:

After failing to get the X-T3 with the 18-55 because stock run out during a promotion, i haven't seen any prices close to €1050. I was just a bit late...

During my wait i debated with myself if extra cost of the X-T4 would be a good investment.

Considerations:

1 - IBIS:

I only shoot family videos and usually with a stabilized lens, either 18-55 or 55-200, so not a must have.

However i shoot portraits and one of the lens i use is a Viltrox 85mm 1.8. How beneficial can flash be for this combo? Is it a considerable benefit or not?

At flash sync speeds i see IBIS as a probable improvement which could allow to save flash battery avoiding HSS. But at 1/250 in those two is it needed?

With my X-T30 the sync speed was 1/180s, and i didn't risk it and used 1/250 or above.

2 - Articulated screen:

Would preffer the Tilting screen from X-T3, but can get used to X-T4 easily i guess.

3 - Battery

Of course a real benefit, not that carrying around 1 or 2 extra batteries caused any issues, but i was planning to start doing weddings regularly as a second photographer last year and keep the plan for 2021 (maybe....), so this can be between a nice and must have.

Here is the point that can balance the decision. What future updates can come to the X-T4? I see a few of them, some with benefits for myself:

a) Better AF / Eye-AF

b) Hi-Res or Pixel shift

If IBIS is worth the extra $700 then the XT4 is the option.  There are other amenities with the XT4 but for me it was about in body stabilization.  I see B&H is selling the XT3 for $1500 with a lens which is ridiculous so it's a hard decision if you're on the fence about needing IBIS.

blink667's gear list:blink667's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
OP Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,437

blink667 wrote:

Rmcp20 wrote:

Considerations:

1 - IBIS:

2 - Articulated screen:

3 - Battery

a) Better AF / Eye-AF

b) Hi-Res or Pixel shift

If IBIS is worth the extra $700 then the XT4 is the option. There are other amenities with the XT4 but for me it was about in body stabilization. I see B&H is selling the XT3 for $1500 with a lens which is ridiculous so it's a hard decision if you're on the fence about needing IBIS.

I am still waiting to see if Fuji Portugal recognizes the warranty if i buy from Amazon ES, so price is still an unknown point.

IBIS was not something i considered as required or very nice to have...but its there...

More concerned about what firmware updates will come to the X-T4, and if they would justify spending about €400 on the body (€150 only if i consider from grey market, but i don't yet trust this 1st IBIS version on the X-T4 won't give problems with use so not buying X-T4 from grey market).

oscarvdvelde Senior Member • Posts: 1,360

Rmcp20 wrote:

I think you are mistaken what it means: to use the flash, the camera shutter speed must be slower, not faster, than 1/180 sec. With faster speeds it may happen that the shutter is only partially open when the flash happens.

If you want a mix of flash and ambient light, your shutter speed would be low and it helps to have IBIS in that case.

Regarding AF updates... this is based on the sensor and processing unit, which are the same. I believe Fuji could have given the v4.00 update to the X-T3 last February, but instead they released the X-T4 half a year early. Having the same technology, I guess they are near the limit of what is possible, no future miracles to be expected. X-H2 will likely be the first with a new system that will trickle down the line over the next years.

oscarvdvelde's gear list:oscarvdvelde's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Samyang 50mm F1.2 +4 more

oscarvdvelde wrote:

Rmcp20 wrote:

I think you are mistaken what it means: to use the flash, the camera shutter speed must be slower, not faster, than 1/180 sec. With faster speeds it may happen that the shutter is only partially open when the flash happens.

If you want a mix of flash and ambient light, your shutter speed would be low and it helps to have IBIS in that case.

Its what i mean but thanks anyway.

With the Sync speed of the X-T3/4 being 1/250 its faster, so less blur issues.

How useful would IBIS be at 1/250 with a 135mm equivalent lens (Viltrox 85mm 1.8)?

That is what i don't know...

Regarding AF updates... this is based on the sensor and processing unit, which are the same. I believe Fuji could have given the v4.00 update to the X-T3 last February, but instead they released the X-T4 half a year early. Having the same technology, I guess they are near the limit of what is possible, no future miracles to be expected. X-H2 will likely be the first with a new system that will trickle down the line over the next years.

I see it the same way...and with the extra cash i could buy one more speedlight and a new tripod for example, which i actually need.

Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,585
Re: Too much ambient light

Rmcp20 wrote:

oscarvdvelde wrote:

Rmcp20 wrote:

How useful would IBIS be at 1/250 with a 135mm equivalent lens (Viltrox 85mm 1.8)?

I see it the same way...and with the extra cash i could buy one more speedlight and a new tripod for example, which i actually need.

1) Blur issues with flash - only an issue if you are letting in too much ambient light into the exposure - take out the ambient by closing down your lens or shoot at lower ISO and your shutter speed will become a non-issue at anything below the sync speed. Your flash duration will freeze any action if you take the ambient light out of your exposure.

2) Firmware - AF updates - X-T4 and X-T3 share the same AF hardware - so no reason why Fujifilm wouldn't update both at the same rate - ok maybe marketing reasons. But no software reasons not to.

Only possible difference I see maybe Pixel shifting on the X-T4 but shifting an X-Trans CFA appears to be way more difficult than shifting a Bayer CFA - so it may not come for an X-T4.

Re: Too much ambient light

Canadianguy wrote:

Rmcp20 wrote:

oscarvdvelde wrote:

Rmcp20 wrote:

1) Blur issues with flash - only an issue if you are letting in too much ambient light into the exposure - take out the ambient by closing down your lens or shoot at lower ISO and your shutter speed will become a non-issue at anything below the sync speed. Your flash duration will freeze any action if you take the ambient light out of your exposure.

2) Firmware - AF updates - X-T4 and X-T3 share the same AF hardware - so no reason why Fujifilm wouldn't update both at the same rate - ok maybe marketing reasons. But no software reasons not to.

Only possible difference I see maybe Pixel shifting on the X-T4 but shifting an X-Trans CFA appears to be way more difficult than shifting a Bayer CFA - so it may not come for an X-T4.

Waiting for a good X-T3 deal now...the one from Amazon ES at €995 ended.

Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,405

I would be dubious about what, if anything will be coming to the XT4 in future.  If you’re happy with it now and the price difference is worth it now, then go for it - but don’t buy it in the expectation that it’s going to change massively through firmware, as there’s no guarantee of that at all.  The XT3 hasn’t been particularly well served in that regard (compared to previous models) and the XT4 has the unenviable distinction of reusing the same sensor and processor originally introduced with the XT3 in 2018.

At some point in the near future, Fuji will move away from that pairing and introduce a new sensor - and history has proven that when that happens, they pretty much immediately drop any further development of the previous sensor/processor combo, concentrating their firmware nous on getting the best out of the new generation.

Now maybe that’s still a while away... but maybe it’s not.  The XH2 is still looming somewhere on the horizon, and is going to have to be cutting edge.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR

Threaded wrote:

I would be dubious about what, if anything will be coming to the XT4 in future. If you’re happy with it now and the price difference is worth it now, then go for it - but don’t buy it in the expectation that it’s going to change massively through firmware, as there’s no guarantee of that at all. The XT3 hasn’t been particularly well served in that regard (compared to previous models) and the XT4 has the unenviable distinction of reusing the same sensor and processor originally introduced with the XT3 in 2018.

At some point in the near future, Fuji will move away from that pairing and introduce a new sensor - and history has proven that when that happens, they pretty much immediately drop any further development of the previous sensor/processor combo, concentrating their firmware nous on getting the best out of the new generation.

Now maybe that’s still a while away... but maybe it’s not. The XH2 is still looming somewhere on the horizon, and is going to have to be cutting edge.

A used X-T3 still under warranty until 2023 (long enough i guess ) has appeared near me, 30 min drive, for €750. Seems a reasonable price if its in excellent condition as mentioned.

Exchanged a couple of messages with the seller, was bought from CameraNU, and i have sent Fujifilm Portugal an email about the warranty for EU cameras, so will wait for their reply and go from there.

I sold the X-T30 for the dual card slots and WR mostly. A bit better AF (not that it was holding me) and bigger EVF made the decision easy.

Getting one at half the price of the X-T4 is a no brainer i guess, and probably when i have one in my hands i will not think about it anymore.

okmarzo Regular Member • Posts: 168

I was in the same situation as you but I went with the X-T4. My main reason was because of IBIS and weight. I used to shoot with the X-H1 but it was a bit heavy and bulky for me. The X-T4's IBIS is even better, faster autofocus, lighter than the X-H1, and top of the line video within it's class. Yes, I know it costs more but it's incredible what you can pull off with IBIS. It's personally a game changer for me. So I sold some gear and it's all good to me.

Seems like most people are encouraging you to get the X-T3 and I understand where you're coming from but I'm pretty sure when you shoot with the X-T4, you're not going to regret it. Just putting my own input from Team X-T4.

okmarzo's gear list:okmarzo's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4
blink667 Contributing Member • Posts: 872

okmarzo wrote:

I was in the same situation as you but I went with the X-T4. My main reason was because of IBIS and weight. I used to shoot with the X-H1 but it was a bit heavy and bulky for me. The X-T4's IBIS is even better, faster autofocus, lighter than the X-H1, and top of the line video within it's class. Yes, I know it costs more but it's incredible what you can pull off with IBIS. It's personally a game changer for me. So I sold some gear and it's all good to me.

Seems like most people are encouraging you to get the X-T3 and I understand where you're coming from but I'm pretty sure when you shoot with the X-T4, you're not going to regret it. Just putting my own input from Team X-T4.

I have the XT4 specifically for IBIS and appreciate how good it is but I can’t imagine the shooting experience using the XT3 could be dramatically different. They’re both good cameras and except for IBIS very similar in nature. The deal for the 3 at B&H for example with a lens would be hard to pass up if you were looking to buy.

blink667's gear list:blink667's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS

I came to the conclusion that for my use IBIS isn't really important.

Today i saw an authorised dealer in Portugal from who i bought a couple of lenses in the past, with a promotion of €999 for a new silver X-T3. And he offered an extra battery (3rd Party probably but anyway a nice gesture).

Just made the transfer and am waiting for it to get delivered mid next week.

In 1 or 2 years, if my criteria changes and i need IBIS or something the X-T4 gets along the way, i'm sure i can swap for one used with less than the €600 difference i would have to pay now. With the X-T4 i would also have to get at least 1 aditional battery, and if weddings start soon another one...so more €100.

For the X-T3 i now have 5 batteries.

Now i need to get a grip. Guess the Meike battery grip is not an option due to the problems with 3rd party batteries, so i will probably get a small JJC or Meike non-battery one to improve ergonomics when shototing for long periods.

Rmcp20 wrote:

Threaded wrote:

I would be dubious about what, if anything will be coming to the XT4 in future. If you’re happy with it now and the price difference is worth it now, then go for it - but don’t buy it in the expectation that it’s going to change massively through firmware, as there’s no guarantee of that at all. The XT3 hasn’t been particularly well served in that regard (compared to previous models) and the XT4 has the unenviable distinction of reusing the same sensor and processor originally introduced with the XT3 in 2018.

Now maybe that’s still a while away... but maybe it’s not. The XH2 is still looming somewhere on the horizon, and is going to have to be cutting edge.

A used X-T3 still under warranty until 2023 (long enough i guess ) has appeared near me, 30 min drive, for €750. Seems a reasonable price if its in excellent condition as mentioned.

Exchanged a couple of messages with the seller, was bought from CameraNU, and i have sent Fujifilm Portugal an email about the warranty for EU cameras, so will wait for their reply and go...

Regarding this one, I called Fuji Portugal and they said that for purchases abroad they honor a 1 year warranty. The camera is from 2018, so although in the Netherlands it could have 3 more years, here it has none.

okmarzo Regular Member • Posts: 168

Rmcp20 wrote:

Today i saw an authorised dealer in Portugal from who i bought a couple of lenses in the past, with a promotion of €999 for a new silver X-T3. And he offered an extra battery (3rd Party probably but anyway a nice gesture).

In 1 or 2 years, if my criteria changes and i need IBIS or something the X-T4 gets along the way, i'm sure i can swap for one used with less than the €600 difference i would have to pay now. With the X-T4 i would also have to get at least 1 aditional battery, and if weddings start soon another one...so more €100.

Now i need to get a grip. Guess the Meike battery grip is not an option due to the problems with 3rd party batteries, so i will probably get a small JJC or Meike non-battery one to improve ergonomics when shototing for long periods.

Interesting ISO performance between two cameras from this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT8hI_BenyE&feature=emb_title

Both are amazing cameras anyways. Enjoy your X-T3.

okmarzo's gear list:okmarzo's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4

okmarzo wrote:

Rmcp20 wrote:

Interesting ISO performance between two cameras from this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT8hI_BenyE&feature=emb_title

Both are amazing cameras anyways. Enjoy your X-T3.

When i buy a camera i try to disconnect from reviews or youtube for comparisons. Of course i keep updated in terms of meaningful releases or new things.

X-T3 is the same as the X-T30 and to be honest i didn't see a noticable diferent to my X-T20 which, along with the X-T2 was marked as having also a tiny bit better performance at High ISOs.

Getting the Viltrox 23mm 1.4 in exchange for the Fuji 23mm f2 made much difference for my indoor shooting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads