The death of lotus revisited .... in BW ... some trials..

Started 2 months ago | Photos
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,604
The death of lotus revisited .... in BW ... some trials..

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
baobob
OP baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,604
Other settings..

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
surfoxy
surfoxy Regular Member • Posts: 489
Re: Other settings..

I definitely think it works well in BW! For me I don’t think you need the high key, I feel like there’s a detachment from reality that’ feels over processed and a bit distracting, where a more simple abstraction would suffice. The first is better to me than the second in terms of processing but I’d still go for more natural.

I might also shoot the scene more to see if additional compositions would be interesting.

How do you feel about this direction?

-- hide signature --

Chris

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
baobob

As mentionned these are first trials I have dozens of dead lotus in my archives will continue to process them and despite some ... will continue to bomb the carpet !

-- hide signature --

BJ60EH Forum Member • Posts: 60

baobob wrote:

As mentionned these are first trials I have dozens of dead lotus in my archives will continue to process them and despite some ... will continue to bomb the carpet !

Please continue to "bomb the carpet". I enjoy your moon pictures as well, they are very well done. And we are all learning from your pictures here on the forum. Keep it up.

BJ60EH's gear list:BJ60EH's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +1 more
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,603

baobob wrote:

Bomb away. Let me suggest you keep it in this thread... it makes it easy for those that have expressed less interest in this subject matter to simply move on and for those that would appreciate different variants on this theme to find them.

I'm less fond of your second one here, since the extremely high contrast just leaves a few scattered areas in black that are hard to define and are actually sort of distracting IMHO. Perhaps reducing the contrast just a touch to allow in a bit more detail might help... not sure.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
baobob

Thx Jerry for comments I'm just beginnin,g these trials so I'll need feedback to find a good equilibrium..

Thx also for, as usual, great moderation ...

-- hide signature --

baobob
Completely new color and bw trials....

CC welcome

Bob

-- hide signature --

BJ60EH Forum Member • Posts: 60
Re: Completely new color and bw trials....

baobob wrote:

CC welcome

Bob

Personally I like the B&W better as well. The color doesn't add anything to the photo and the B&W more focuses on the shapes and reflections. Personally I think it would be interesting if you just focused on one plant, when there are many the scene looks very busy to my eyes. I cropped the bottom right out of the last picture here, and I think if you worked the scene a little bit there you could get an interesting composition. Just an idea!

BJ60EH's gear list:BJ60EH's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +1 more
Bob Tullis
MOD Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 39,948
Bravo, Bob

Now THOSE are interesting interpretations.   There's more than one way to both shoot and convey the subject, but these are one way to make what was rather mundane a much more compelling image to regard.

Kudos.

-- hide signature --

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."
------ Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
@ bobtullis.com & flickr.com/photos/bobtullis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration.

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
surfoxy
surfoxy Regular Member • Posts: 489

Agreed on the simpler comps. RE: my comments on easing up on the post-processing, I'd handle it more like this. Please LMK if you'd rather not have me play with your images this way, I know I don't always appreciate it, but since you're asking for C&C I thought I'd give it a go.

To me the idea here is to get the viewer to enjoy the dance of line, punctuated by the flowers. Texture doesn't help much. But that's one man's approach. I'd still look to find angles where the composition simplified a bit, for me the energy is in the shapes in the bottom 2/3, the triangles and squares punctuated by the vertical lines and flowers. The top is a tiny bit too much.

That said, the rhythm in the composition is really nice, I'm nitpicking. At the large size, the squiggly lines created by the ripples are also wonderful.

-- hide signature --

Chris

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
baobob
Re: Bravo, Bob

Thx Bob

-- hide signature --

baobob

I was just too far and I left the 100-400mm at home a dramatic error..

Thx

-- hide signature --

baobob

Thx very much I do appreciate your post, I just posted something say easier to read for most people but your interpretation is a compelling one

-- hide signature --

AlainCo Regular Member • Posts: 217

Bob,

I find your revised colour version better, but my preference goes to your initial B&W conversion (reminds me the work of a famous photographer, now if only I could remember his name...).

Keep on bombing.

Cheers,

AlainCo

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the photographer

AlainCo's gear list:AlainCo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 +14 more
baobob

Thx, I mustt xsay that they allso are my preference while it seems  more people prefer the last ones that are morefigurative annd less abstract

"De gustibus non est disputendum "

Cheers

bob

-- hide signature --

baobob
MY PREFERRED

Keeping bombing  

-- hide signature --

baobob
Re: MY PREFERRED

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads