Z 6II does birds

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313
Z 6II does birds

This guy walks out there with a DX 50-250 lens and just nails it.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Mikspin
Mikspin Regular Member • Posts: 189
Re: Z 6II does birds

Impressive and with the dx 50-250 lens at 10 mpx no less. I think the birders should shut up and learn this new camera AF system ( hint, it's not like a D500), before they pontificate on the superiority of their pet oldie. It is not my old Z6 either. Stop lauding your old AF systems and embrace the new. The Z 6ii autofocus is better than anything out there. But it is different, practice. Mine came yesterday, I was up to three in the morning setting it up. Looking forward to the new learning curve. what little I have seen has convinced me not to look back. It is time to stop the "vs" bull and on with the new. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Mikspin's gear list:Mikspin's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D800 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 II +14 more
Tim S Contributing Member • Posts: 840

When will someone test it on serious glass, like a 500mm F/4E?

-- hide signature --

Tim Munsey
www.wildphotolife.co.uk

Tim S's gear list:Tim S's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,520

Tim S wrote:

When will someone test it on serious glass, like a 500mm F/4E?

Beautiful shot of the lovely Pintail!

The Z400mm f2.8 and the Z600mm f4 are supposed to arrive before the end of 2021. I currently use the D500+500PF, but also have the Z7, and looking to upgrade to a 600mm f4 lens, I am eagerly awaiting Nikon's go at a modern 600mm f4 lens. I hope they will keep it (very) close to 3kg, which is my limit for handheld shooting and hiking. My alternative would be the Sony 600mmf4GM, but then I would have to go dual system, which in the light of the price of a 600mm f4 lens, is not very desireable.

If the Nikon Z600mm f4 is as good as the Sony 600GM, also performance with the TC's, I will go for the Nikon and give myself some time to upgrade the Z7 at a later stage.

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Sony a7R II Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,890

Mikspin wrote:

Impressive and with the dx 50-250 lens at 10 mpx no less. I think the birders should shut up and learn this new camera AF system ( hint, it's not like a D500), before they pontificate on the superiority of their pet oldie. It is not my old Z6 either. Stop lauding your old AF systems and embrace the new. The Z 6ii autofocus is better than anything out there. But it is different, practice. Mine came yesterday, I was up to three in the morning setting it up. Looking forward to the new learning curve. what little I have seen has convinced me not to look back. It is time to stop the "vs" bull and on with the new. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

And over the top statements are as bad as the pontificators.  Better than anything out there?  Hardly believable, even with qualifiers.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +34 more
abc123brian Regular Member • Posts: 249

Mikspin wrote:

I don’t think you can honestly say it is the best out there, but I think it is better than a lot of people give it credit for. I have the first gen Z6 and Z7 and have a Z7ii preordered. The AF has come a long way with the firmware updates and I find it very usable for most things. There are some other issues for BIF with the current Z cameras, but that isn’t something I shoot often. IMO, we need to really need to see improved tracking mode functionality and get the native Z super telephoto lenses. It would be better if tracking was its own AF option and not part of auto area af to start and improving the algorithms would go a long way. I hope the ii version is noticeably improved with eye AF. It is actually a feature I appreciate more than I thought.

abc123brian's gear list:abc123brian's gear list
Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T3 +19 more

I keep seeing tests with the 70-200mm F/2.8 S which has two motors, it performs very well but I'm getting the impression that the G/E lenses will not be as hot on the Z6 11 even ones like 500mm F/4E hence no ambassador out there giving it a go.

All new 600mm f/4's will be 12K+ that's my bet.

-- hide signature --

Tim Munsey
www.wildphotolife.co.uk

creative edge
creative edge Senior Member • Posts: 1,632

I am not much into avian photography, but I do shoot Pro Motocross. I started using the Z6II with the 400 2.8E and can say focus is spot on.. it is fast, locks on great and I have no problems shooting guys coming head on to me at crazy fast speeds

-- hide signature --
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,520

Tim S wrote:

Yes, still, better to spend that money once, than forever changing lenses/switching systems looking to upgrade purchases made with budget in mind...

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Sony a7R II Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,934

Tim S wrote:

Higher than that.

-- hide signature --

Garfield

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7S III Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +5 more

Great news, how many fps do you use? There was some confusion with the 14fps reported.

-- hide signature --

Tim Munsey
www.wildphotolife.co.uk

What Creative edge is saying is great news because that means we may have a cheap D5/D6 available with functioning silent shooting for wildlife shooters. Thing is why haven't we seen it yet? Where are the testers?

-- hide signature --

Tim Munsey
www.wildphotolife.co.uk

rick in vegas Regular Member • Posts: 458

that is like 9MP only in DX mode

rick in vegas's gear list:rick in vegas's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R
1llusive
OP 1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313

abc123brian wrote:

It would be better if tracking was its own AF option and not part of auto area af to start

Maybe. For many, the default shooting mode has become Auto-Area with face/eye for people subjects, and for non-people, just hit your programmed Fn button to bring up the tracking box. That covers most situations without leaving AF-C.

Of course this is general shooting, not birds, which would use different settings.

abc123brian Regular Member • Posts: 249

1llusive wrote:

abc123brian wrote:

It would be better if tracking was its own AF option and not part of auto area af to start

Maybe. For many, the default shooting mode has become Auto-Area with face/eye for people subjects, and for non-people, just hit your programmed Fn button to bring up the tracking box. That covers most situations without leaving AF-C.

Of course this is general shooting, not birds, which would use different settings.

If I hand my camera to someone else, non photographer, to have them take a photo of me, I put it in auto area for them so it finds the face and focuses. Almost every time they hit the ok button by mistake putting the camera in tracking mode. 🤷‍♂️
I primarily shoot landscape and wildlife so those aren’t my default modes. Maybe once I get my Z7ii I’ll change to trusting the tracking mode more.

abc123brian's gear list:abc123brian's gear list
Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T3 +19 more
1llusive
OP 1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313

abc123brian wrote:

I primarily shoot landscape and wildlife so those aren’t my default modes. Maybe once I get my Z7ii I’ll change to trusting the tracking mode more.

Of course landscape uses very different settings. You can switch between general shooting and landscapes in 1 second with User settings.

Luftwalk Regular Member • Posts: 214

Tim S wrote:

What Creative edge is saying is great news because that means we may have a cheap D5/D6 available with functioning silent shooting for wildlife shooters. Thing is why haven't we seen it yet? Where are the testers?

I've actually had good results with the original Z6 and dog tracking. I used different modes in AF-C, but mainly use Wide-S. Auto Area with subject tracking works pretty well if the light is good and not too much clutter around the subject.

Examples here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157706365176231

Luftwalk's gear list:Luftwalk's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +4 more
PkmX Forum Member • Posts: 53

Luftwalk wrote:

Tim S wrote:

I've actually had good results with the original Z6 and dog tracking. I used different modes in AF-C, but mainly use Wide-S. Auto Area with subject tracking works pretty well if the light is good and not too much clutter around the subject.

Examples here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157706365176231

The hit rate is pretty impressive! Do you have experiences with how well the animal eye AF work against dogs running toward the camera at full speed? I'm seriously considering getting the Z6II for dog action photography, and I assume the AF should be generally faster on the II and being able to restrict animal eye AF to wide modes should help the camera to not get distracted by other things in the frame.

PkmX's gear list:PkmX's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +12 more

Wow, really enjoyed your doggy photos very inspiring. Need to get a dog in my camera bag now.

-- hide signature --

Tim Munsey
www.wildphotolife.co.uk

Gurman
Gurman New Member • Posts: 15

Wow!

Great images of your buddy doggy!

https://labrescuenc.org/blog/  is a mandatory hygiene procedure not only for us, but also for our pet.it is just as necessary to clean the ears, take care of the hair, eyes and claws of the pet. An animal with bad teeth does not feel well, it loses its appetite and an unpleasant smell appears.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads