R5 Buffer Clearing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,620
R5 Buffer Clearing

When I first got the camera I checked the buffer and it was able to clear the buffer from the CFexpress card in under 10 seconds (I want to say it was 6 seconds with the Sony Tough 128GB). Now with both of my cards (Sony Tough 128GB and Lexar 128GB), it takes the same time as the UHS-II cards, which is roughly 20 seconds. I can see why Canon might have throttled it down, but I'm curious if others are seeing the same performance drop.

Personally, I'm not sure if it just my camera or if one of the recent firmware updates have altered it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,266
Re: R5 Buffer Clearing

Tazz93 wrote:

When I first got the camera I checked the buffer and it was able to clear the buffer from the CFexpress card in under 10 seconds (with the Sony Tough 128GB). Now with both of my cards (Sony Tough 128GB and Lexar 128GB), it takes the same time as the UHS-II cards, which is roughly 20 seconds. I can see why Canon might have throttled it down, but I'm curious if others are seeing the same performance drop.

Personally, I'm not sure if it just my camera or if one of the recent firmware updates have altered it.

Have you set up your R5 to write the same image to both card simultaneously? If so that is probably it because with will write the both at the same time a the speed of the slowest card. Also what is the guaranteed write speed of the UHS-II cared ( it is UHS-II I hope and a fast one) Can you provide more specific information on your UHS card?

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
Tazz93
OP Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,620

Steve W wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

When I first got the camera I checked the buffer and it was able to clear the buffer from the CFexpress card in under 10 seconds (with the Sony Tough 128GB). Now with both of my cards (Sony Tough 128GB and Lexar 128GB), it takes the same time as the UHS-II cards, which is roughly 20 seconds. I can see why Canon might have throttled it down, but I'm curious if others are seeing the same performance drop.

Have you set up your R5 to write the same image to both card simultaneously? If so that is probably it because with will write the both at the same time a the speed of the slowest card. Also what is the guaranteed write speed of the UHS-II cared ( it is UHS-II I hope and a fast one) Can you provide more specific information on your UHS card?

That's with only one card in the camera, but very good idea. That easily could have been the issue. That said, don't get sidetracked on the SD card, it works wonderful, and 20 seconds to clear the buffer on an SD card is quite good.

The CFexpress cards should be around 6 second to clear. I think I might have been a little vague before, but the problem is with the two CFexpress cards. Neither is able to clear the buffer as quickly as before.

See the article below for reference on a speed test of the various cards.

https://petapixel.com/2020/09/22/cfexpress-a-real-world-performance-comparison/

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
bernie r
bernie r Regular Member • Posts: 263

Yes the buffer of using two cards is one of the worst parts of this camera, they should've gone with dual CfExpress, I'll be selling my R5 for a 1DX R1 when it's released as I missed shots due to the buffer attempting to clear on the UHS II card, even with just setting it to jpeg, it can't handle the 20 fps of the camera and is one of the biggest things I hate about the camera. Makes it unsuitable for alot of situations, I actually just remove the second card slot of the time.

pawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,881

Tazz93 wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

That's with only one card in the camera, but very good idea. That easily could have been the issue. That said, don't get sidetracked on the SD card, it works wonderful, and 20 seconds to clear the buffer on an SD card is quite good.

The CFexpress cards should be around 6 second to clear. I think I might have been a little vague before, but the problem is with the two CFexpress cards. Neither is able to clear the buffer as quickly as before.

Can you repeat the buffer clearing issue after formatting the CFExpress card?

-- hide signature --
bernie r
bernie r Regular Member • Posts: 263

pawn wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

What? It's about the SD card, not the CFExpress, it's simply too slow and no amount of formats will fix that.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,184

Tazz93 wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Have you since changed to settings with smaller file sizes (RAW to JPEG, FULL to 1.6x, or RAW to cRAW)?  Maybe there is overhead per file in clearing the buffer that goes beyond raw MB/s.  I haven't done the math, so I am just guessing here.

Did you format the card in your computer or the camera?  My CFExpress card came formatted, but lost files (they became 0 bytes) when they were being downloaded to the computer, until I low-level formatted it in the camera (which took no appreciable time at all for 128GB).

Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,266

Tazz93 wrote:

When I first got the camera I checked the buffer and it was able to clear the buffer from the CFexpress card in under 10 seconds (I want to say it was 6 seconds with the Sony Tough 128GB). Now with both of my cards (Sony Tough 128GB and Lexar 128GB), it takes the same time as the UHS-II cards, which is roughly 20 seconds. I can see why Canon might have throttled it down, but I'm curious if others are seeing the same performance drop.

Still haven't seen a response that identifies the specific model of SD card from Lexar you are using, Is it their 2000x, 1667x, 1000x, etc? Please share that information

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
Tazz93

pawn wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Yes, that is whether its formatted ("Low" or normal). Both cards gives nearly identical results.

I reached out to Canon and they said they would look in to it but they wanted me to check and see if the firmware may have changed  some settings like DP Raw which would complicate things. I checked and found nothing out of the ordinary.

-- hide signature --

Tazz93

John Sheehy wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Have you since changed to settings with smaller file sizes (RAW to JPEG, FULL to 1.6x, or RAW to cRAW)? Maybe there is overhead per file in clearing the buffer that goes beyond raw MB/s. I haven't done the math, so I am just guessing here.

I never shot anything other than RAW since I got the camera, and the original test of the buffer was in RAW. That also matched the test from the Peta Pixel article above. That said, I'm assuming the buffer is a set memory size. With that being the case, I'd think you will still save a set amount of data to the buffer and unloading it would be unaffected by file type as it will save that same overall buffer depth. So long story short, moving 5 GBs of data is still 5 GBs of data whether its RAW, CRAW, or JPEGs. I could be wrong but, I don't think it matters unless something is drawing additional CPU cycles.

Did you format the card in your computer or the camera? My CFExpress card came formatted, but lost files (they became 0 bytes) when they were being downloaded to the computer, until I low-level formatted it in the camera (which took no appreciable time at all for 128GB).

Yes, the cards have been formatted before each try. Both "Low" and normal level.

I also tested each card in my computer and both CFexpress cards move 820+ GBs/sec attached to a basic reader. Incidentally, the SD card that clears the buffer in the same time as the CFexpress cards only move 240GB/sec on the computer. I really think Canon throttled it back.

-- hide signature --

Tazz93

Steve W wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Still haven't seen a response that identifies the specific model of SD card from Lexar you are using, Is it their 2000x, 1667x, 1000x, etc? Please share that information

I'm using the V90 card, its a 2000x, but don't get caught up on the SD card. I only mentioned it for a reference of scale, kind of to say... "how does an SD card now match an CFexpress card's performance"? It doesn't contribute to the problem.

-- hide signature --

arbitrage Contributing Member • Posts: 512

OP....I would like to try replicating your results. Are you doing your testing by shooting till the FPS stutters/slows and then timing the clearance, or some other way?

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon D500 Sony a9 II Nikon Z50 Canon EOS R5 +20 more
Tazz93
Somehow it has cleared up

arbitrage wrote:

OP....I would like to try replicating your results. Are you doing your testing by shooting till the FPS stutters/slows and then timing the clearance, or some other way?

Yes, I was shooting the camera with a lens cap on, ISO 400, 1/3200th, F4, in RAW until the stuttering starts then time the red light on the back. With the original firmware this took about 6 seconds to clear.

...So I just changed it to jpeg and tested it, and it only took 12 seconds. I then switched it back to RAW and its now down to 5-6 seconds. No other changes. Thinking I may have made a change inadvertently, I put it on record to both cards and tested that and it was only 12 seconds again. I then went back to record in just the CFexpress card and it back down to 5-6 seconds. I tried the "Standard" record option and the "Auto-switching" option and now both are back to normal, 5-6 seconds. Honestly, I can't get anything to do 20 seconds anymore. It is odd that before I was consistently getting 135 shots before the buffer kicked in and it took 20 seconds to clear, but now its around 115 and 5-6 seconds to clear the buffer. Just for giggles I estimated and hit 135 after the "fix" and it still took 5-6 seconds. I can't replicate the original problem myself.

I tried old batteries and the new battery before and it stayed at 20 seconds prior to right now. I tried formatting options, checking for disabled CPU hogs like DP RAW (which I've never even tried to use), and noise reduction but nothing seemed to be a problem. And now... I swap over to JPEG and back and it works normal. That said, I've never changed the card recording settings since I set it originally, so its possible during the last firmware update something odd and un-intended happened. This wasn't the first and only odd issue after the last update.

After the last update, my ISO would fluctuate wildly all by itself. This happened right after the update with me not changing any settings besides Shutter speed and aperture and ISO. I immediately assumed I had rotated the ISO dial too far and activated "AUTO" but after setting an actual ISO amount it still jumped around in an odd way. I still noticed it appeared to be the camera trying to calculate Auto ISO, but it was WILDLY hopping around, it would jump by 2-3 stops with no compensation dialed in. So I went in to the menu and it was still stuck on AUTO even after I switched it to a value when I was using the quick change dial. So I switched that to a specific value in the menu (and out of AUTO) and it was back to normal. But it was odd how much the stuck Auto ISO was varying the exposure in consistent light. Almost like it was using the single active AF point to determine the exposure as it hoped around the scene with no major subject to find. Just odd.

If this turns out to be the same as the ISO jumping, it will be a one and done issue, but still odd, especially considering I'm pretty much a "set it and forget it" shooter.

I'm just going to call it a bad flash of the firmware that created a couple of odd errors. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

-- hide signature --

Tazz93
I wouldn't have thought that would have worked, good call

John Sheehy wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Have you since changed to settings with smaller file sizes (RAW to JPEG, FULL to 1.6x, or RAW to cRAW)?...

Oddly enough, when I first read this it didn't seem like a direction to try for a fix. When arbitrage asked about the settings to replicate it, I figured I should check and see if it was any better with JPEGs and sure enough it resolved it.

Sorry to discount your suggestion because I didn't see why it would work. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Tazz93
Odd conclusion yields repeatable results

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but I finally found something that is repeatable. I've found HOW to delay the clearing of the buffer and HOW to speed up the clearing of the buffer.

Slow Clearing - Seems to be dependent on using the EVF only during the clearing process (I found I had to turn the LCD in so it can't be used at all when using the "AUTO 1" Display mode). This occurs in EVF-only display mode as well. I did test this with my eye to the EVF the whole time and it was indeed slow as well. Oddly, you can see the difference in the buffer counter's speed in the EVF, so its is likely causing a true slow down.

Fast Clearing - Seems to be dependent on having the LCD active during buffer clearing, Live View or just playback.

You can mix and match, and it will "prorate" the remaining time depending on the mode, EVF slows it down, LCD speeds it up.

Please, can some of you try this and tell me if yours is the same.

Basic settings: f/8, 1/2000th, ISO 100, E-Shutter (to mitigate the wear on the shutter for testing).

-- hide signature --

TigTillinghast Regular Member • Posts: 497
Re: Odd conclusion yields repeatable results

Tazz, you're really discovered something. I've replicated the test. When shooting at 20 fps (13 bit), I clear the cache in 4.3 seconds on average with an Anglebird XT 660 GB card. Using just the EVF, it clears in just under 20 seconds.

The difference is not subtle.

This explains some of the inconsistency I sometimes found when doing the CFexpress card review.

I threw out a lot of data and redid tests completely when I found some odd inconsistencies. My guess is that my hand at the time may have been passing before the EVF's face detector, and temporarily slowing things down at that moment. This is extremely helpful knowledge to me.

Thanks!

Tazz93 wrote:

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but I finally found something that is repeatable. I've found HOW to delay the clearing of the buffer and HOW to speed up the clearing of the buffer.

Slow Clearing - Seems to be dependent on using the EVF only during the clearing process (I found I had to turn the LCD in so it can't be used at all when using the "AUTO 1" Display mode). This occurs in EVF-only display mode as well. I did test this with my eye to the EVF the whole time and it was indeed slow as well. Oddly, you can see the difference in the buffer counter's speed in the EVF, so its is likely causing a true slow down.

Fast Clearing - Seems to be dependent on having the LCD active during buffer clearing, Live View or just playback.

You can mix and match, and it will "prorate" the remaining time depending on the mode, EVF slows it down, LCD speeds it up.

Basic settings: f/8, 1/2000th, ISO 100, E-Shutter (to mitigate the wear on the shutter for testing).

-- hide signature --

Contributor to camnostic.com

TigTillinghast's gear list:TigTillinghast's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 +1 more
Big-Al Junior Member • Posts: 34

bernie r wrote:

Yes the buffer of using two cards is one of the worst parts of this camera, they should've gone with dual CfExpress, I'll be selling my R5 for a 1DX R1 when it's released as I missed shots due to the buffer attempting to clear on the UHS II card, even with just setting it to jpeg, it can't handle the 20 fps of the camera and is one of the biggest things I hate about the camera. Makes it unsuitable for alot of situations, I actually just remove the second card slot of the time.

I thought that you  get 170 jpegs in the buffer before it would be affected by the download speed to the card is that not the case?

Tazz93
THANK YOU, I was looking for someone to validate it.

TigTillinghast wrote:

Tazz, you're really discovered something. I've replicated the test. When shooting at 20 fps (13 bit), I clear the cache in 4.3 seconds on average with an Anglebird XT 660 GB card. Using just the EVF, it clears in just under 20 seconds.

This explains some of the inconsistency I sometimes found when doing the CFexpress card review.

I threw out a lot of data and redid tests completely when I found some odd inconsistencies. My guess is that my hand at the time may have been passing before the EVF's face detector, and temporarily slowing things down at that moment. This is extremely helpful knowledge to me.

Thanks!

Tazz93 wrote:

I didn't want to keep beating a dead horse, but I was looking for someone to test it. I reported it to Canon and they did ask they additional info, so I assumed they were looking in to it.

I imagine its a code issue, but there is a outside chance that it is a hardware/processing issue. The EVF takes a lot  of processing to keep running at 120fps.

All things considered, this is a little annoying when I have to take my eye away from the camera to speed up the clearing. But that said, the buffer is pretty big so its rarely necessary.

-- hide signature --

TigTillinghast Regular Member • Posts: 497
Re: THANK YOU, I was looking for someone to validate it.

Tazz93 wrote:

TigTillinghast wrote:

Thanks!

Tazz93 wrote:

I didn't want to keep beating a dead horse, but I was looking for someone to test it. I reported it to Canon and they did ask they additional info, so I assumed they were looking in to it.

I imagine its a code issue, but there is a outside chance that it is a hardware/processing issue. The EVF takes a lot of processing to keep running at 120fps.

All things considered, this is a little annoying when I have to take my eye away from the camera to speed up the clearing. But that said, the buffer is pretty big so its rarely necessary.

I think it's unlikely to be a power/processing issue that is deliberate. It could be a non-deliberate effect of the larger power draw when the EVF is operational. That could have seemed acceptable because there were no outwardly appearing effects.

If you think on it, it's pretty seldom you get to the end of an R5 buffer.

I have to figure that I've been shooting this camera for 6 months, and I didn't notice what you've noticed. If they had a month to test things, they probably just missed it too.

-- hide signature --

Contributor to camnostic.com

TigTillinghast's gear list:TigTillinghast's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 +1 more
Tazz93
Re: THANK YOU, I was looking for someone to validate it.

TigTillinghast wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

TigTillinghast wrote:

Thanks!

Tazz93 wrote:

I imagine its a code issue, but there is a outside chance that it is a hardware/processing issue. The EVF takes a lot of processing to keep running at 120fps.

I think it's unlikely to be a power/processing issue that is deliberate. It could be a non-deliberate effect of the larger power draw when the EVF is operational. That could have seemed acceptable because there were no outwardly appearing effects.

If you think on it, it's pretty seldom you get to the end of an R5 buffer.

I have to figure that I've been shooting this camera for 6 months, and I didn't notice what you've noticed. If they had a month to test things, they probably just missed it too.

I have hit it a couple of times, but I didn't need an empty buffer to continue grabbing frames, so no big deal.

As far as the processing/power draw down for the EVF, I'd suspect its a solid hit, but I do agree its not likely something they did on purpose. I'm hoping for it being just code. However, considering all things, even the slow clearing is faster than the A9's, so its not all too bad anyway.

BTW, I appreciate that review you guys did. Definitely played a part in choosing a card.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads