Sigma Refurbished Lenses - from OEM

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Better-DY Forum Member • Posts: 97
Sigma Refurbished Lenses - from OEM

Anyone had an especially good or bad experience with refurbished lenses purchased from Sigma? Looking at a 14-24mm f2.8 refurbished to try to reduce costs and just wonder whether that falls into the penny wise and pound foolish category or a reasonable trade off based on willingness to accept some signs of use or handling but expecting pretty much no optical degradation in trade-off. I hear Canon does a great job but not sure about Tamron and Sigma. Thank you.

Better-DY's gear list:Better-DY's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,164
Re: Sigma Refurbished Lenses - from OEM

I bought a 30mm refurb prime from Sigma for my Pentax once-- I never really bonded with the lens on grounds of style, but it works perfectly. Condition was indistinguishable from new. Mount was mirror bright. Packing and service were excellent.

I buy a lot of my stuff factory refurbished in general and have never had an issue.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 563

Factory refurbished, more often than not, means open-box return.  Sometimes it involves repair or something.  Either way, to me, it's only "pound foolish" if the lens doesn't come with a warranty (which I've never seen from an OEM refurb).  I just ordered a factory refurb on lens listed as "open box - as new" for half of the "new" equivalent Sony lens. I see it as a win/win.

-- hide signature --

It's just my educated opinion. Don't get bent out of shape.
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 19,011

Better-DY wrote:

Anyone had an especially good or bad experience with refurbished lenses purchased from Sigma?

Not with Sigma, but refurbished Nikon stuff that I've purchased has been flawless. The boxes are more generic and the warranties are shorter, but the savings are significant. I imagine dealing with Sigma would be about the same.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads