Cant snap picture without stopping down?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Tkshaffer
Tkshaffer Regular Member • Posts: 185
Cant snap picture without stopping down?

I was playing around with my new Viltrox 56mm on a bright afternoon and there were multiple times I couldn't get it to take a picture unless I stopped down to 2 or 2.8.  This is on my X-h1.  At 1.4 it just wouldn't allow the picture to be taken.  The histogram looked fine and both ISO and shutter speed were on auto.  Release/Focus priority is on release.

Any thoughts?  Sorry if it is a dumb question...havent had this happen before.  It did let me use 1.4 in other moments.

Tkshaffer's gear list:Tkshaffer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +2 more
ANSWER:
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
Re: Cant snap picture without stopping down?

My guess is in auto, that 1.4 was exceeding that camera’s max shutter speed. You could try again with Electronic shutter, versus mechanical shutter. But at 1.4 in good light, you are likely maxed out at 1/2000 or 1/4000, whatever that model’s max speed is.

I don’t shoot with that mush stuff in auto though, so not sure how Fuji behaves with those parameters set to auto.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Fujifilm X-T4 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Tkshaffer
OP Tkshaffer Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: Cant snap picture without stopping down?

Mike Arledge wrote:

My guess is in auto, that 1.4 was exceeding that camera’s max shutter speed. You could try again with Electronic shutter, versus mechanical shutter. But at 1.4 in good light, you are likely maxed out at 1/2000 or 1/4000, whatever that model’s max speed is.

I don’t shoot with that mush stuff in auto though, so not sure how Fuji behaves with those parameters set to auto.

Thank you, that makes perfect sense! I was just mushing it up to put the new lens through its paces. I appreciate it!

Tkshaffer's gear list:Tkshaffer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads