Rokinon/Samyang RF 85 1.4

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
jayk0607 Regular Member • Posts: 138
Rokinon/Samyang RF 85 1.4

I've been eyeing either Rokinon/Samyang RF 85 1.4 or Canon RF 85 2 but I went with former. I understand they are Rokinon and Samyang is same company but B&H had Rokinon at $699 and Samyang at $599 so I went with Samyang. I'd assume they are of same quality? Can anyone comment on this? Also I saw a thread on the autofocus issue but I can't find it. Was the AF issue with R5 only? I have RP.

jayk0607's gear list:jayk0607's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +10 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,759
Re: Rokinon/Samyang RF 85 1.4

jayk0607 wrote:

I've been eyeing either Rokinon/Samyang RF 85 1.4 or Canon RF 85 2 but I went with former. I understand they are Rokinon and Samyang is same company but B&H had Rokinon at $699 and Samyang at $599 so I went with Samyang. I'd assume they are of same quality? Can anyone comment on this?

Yes, they are the same. Samyang is the Korean manufacturer of the lenses. Rokinon is an American company that has an agreement to release Samyang lenses under their brand name as well. But it's just the same Samyang lens with a Rokinon logo and box.

Also I saw a thread on the autofocus issue but I can't find it. Was the AF issue with R5 only? I have RP.

I've never heard any issues with the R or Rp with this lens. The lens was released after those cameras and none of the reviewers had any issues.

The R6 and 5 had different AF system and had issues. But Samyang has released a lens firmware update to fix it. You do need a dock, which is an extra purchase. So keep that in mind if you buy the lens and upgrade to a new camera in the future.

Genobkk Regular Member • Posts: 227

jayk0607 wrote:

I've been eyeing either Rokinon/Samyang RF 85 1.4 or Canon RF 85 2 but I went with former. I understand they are Rokinon and Samyang is same company but B&H had Rokinon at $699 and Samyang at $599 so I went with Samyang. I'd assume they are of same quality? Can anyone comment on this? Also I saw a thread on the autofocus issue but I can't find it. Was the AF issue with R5 only? I have RP.

I have the R and was interested in this lens.  The canon RF 85 is f2.  Yes it is stabilized and has macro functions but again it is f2.

how does this lens work in lower light? Is the lack of stabilization hurt much?

The focus issues you mentioned was in the R5/R6. The Samyang needed a firmware update.   Let us know what you think about this lens

Genobkk's gear list:Genobkk's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +2 more
andyus08 Contributing Member • Posts: 625

I'm in the same boat, but since Canon RF 85mm f2 IS released, I'd wait for Canon brand (pretty much in the same price range). I have R6 and EF 135mm L which I really like. I can get sharp image with 1/30 or 1/60 due to IBIS in camera. So with Canon RF 85mm f2 IS, it's even better. YMMV.

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,759

andyus08 wrote:

I'm in the same boat, but since Canon RF 85mm f2 IS released, I'd wait for Canon brand (pretty much in the same price range). I have R6 and EF 135mm L which I really like. I can get sharp image with 1/30 or 1/60 due to IBIS in camera. So with Canon RF 85mm f2 IS, it's even better. YMMV.

f1.4 vs f2 is a pretty HUGE difference.

It's kind of like saying you'd be better off with a 70-200 f2.8 IS over your 135L because it is stabilized.

It might be true for some, but there are definite advantages to a faster aperture.

Genobkk Regular Member • Posts: 227

tkbslc wrote:

andyus08 wrote:

It's kind of like saying you'd be better off with a 70-200 f2.8 IS over your 135L because it is stabilized.

It might be true for some, but there are definite advantages to a faster aperture.

I am thinking the f1.4 may make up for the lack of stabilization at f2, am I correct in this thinking?   With the 1.4 it lets in more light so I can get faster shutter speeds.   I have not seen any IQ comparisons to the new canon RF 85 f2 yet but early reviews was positive.

Genobkk's gear list:Genobkk's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +2 more
OP jayk0607 Regular Member • Posts: 138

Genobkk wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

andyus08 wrote:

I am thinking the f1.4 may make up for the lack of stabilization at f2, am I correct in this thinking? With the 1.4 it lets in more light so I can get faster shutter speeds. I have not seen any IQ comparisons to the new canon RF 85 f2 yet but early reviews was positive.

You are correct in a way that faster lens can make up for IS but it depends on the situation. If you are shooting a still subject such as landscape, IS may have advantage but the reason I went with Rokinon 1.4 over Canon's 2 was because I wanted more bokeh and IS doesn't really work if the subject is moving.

jayk0607's gear list:jayk0607's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads