Frost images from 3.5x - 9x

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
oneofone25
oneofone25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
Frost images from 3.5x - 9x

See below. Each is a stack of between 160-190 images. The top two are views of frost that formed on leaves with a field of view of less than 2mm. The bottom one is a frost image at 3.5x with a small crop to get the image to around 4mm field of view.

I used my Olympus EM1 Mark 2, Olympus MC-20 teleconverter, modified Pixco 16mm extension tube, and the Olympus 60mm macro lens with the Raynox 505 on the end for the first two images. For the bottom one, I removed the Raynox. I used focus bracketing mode to get all images. It was around 7:30 am so early morning light; no extra lighting or flash. Everything was at ISO200.

Sometimes frost can form very similar to a single snow crystal, with nice 6 sided structure. This one is an excellent example! Just under 2mm field of view!

I suppose after thinking about it that this one is more around 8x magnification as I had the 60mm macro lens backed off of the 1:1 just a tad. Probably about 2mm field of view after a small crop

This one I removed the Raynox 505, but kept the Macro lens at around 1:1. I did crop a tad for the final image, which is right around 4mm field of view. Maybe a tad more....

oneofone25's gear list:oneofone25's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Deniz Turkmen Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: Frost images from 3.5x - 9x

These are really nice macros. It tells me 2 things:

1. What the nature is capable of

2. What a MFT is capable of in the right hands

-- hide signature --

Shoot first, ask questions later.

Deniz Turkmen's gear list:Deniz Turkmen's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D5500 Sony a7R II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Sony 28mm F2.8 +3 more
24IS Senior Member • Posts: 1,484

Deniz Turkmen wrote:

Indeed, I concur.  This is excellent work.  Carefully planned and executed.

Yes, what a mystery nature is.  To always come up with the most efficient structure and to adapt that structure to changing conditions.  A physics and science populariser on Youtube named Tibees once demonstrated how fluids with different properties would always mix together in the most efficient way, and then broke out the complex mathematics that would express each of the mixtures.  Quite something.

Why not?  It is a high-resolution system with a large-enough sensor and a lens system that is tailored to make the most of the sensor size.  The only pragmatic reason to use a FF camera is if you have a large number of lenses that work with it, or are partial to a wide angle of view that would be impossible to obtain with those lenses adapted to MFT.

Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 460

Deniz Turkmen wrote:

Nobody ever doubted MFT is capable of this.

You can mount a cellphone on a microscope and get even more magnification, none of this has anything to do with sensor size.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads