Looking for lens for a proverbial soccer mom

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 20,069
Looking for lens for a proverbial soccer mom

I'm not familiar w/Canon so looking for advice.

A friend (non-photographer) wants a lens to shoot her daughter playing soccer with her old Rebel 1000D.

Looking at what's available, I see:
EF 75-300 III for $199
EF-S 55-250 STM for $299
EF-S 55-250 II not listed on Canon site, but B&H has it for $179

Between the two cheaper options, what would you recommend ? Any compelling reason to suggest the more expensive STM lens ? Any other options I'm not seeing ? (Third party in that price range ?) On a 10MP camera, it doesn't need to be 'L' quality But if any of those are particularly better at focusing (on an older body) and/or better at the long end, that's worth knowing.

I'm guessing she would prefer to buy new from a reputable place (probably going to ask her husband for it for XMas ...)

Thanks,

Canon EOS 1000D (EOS Rebel XS / Kiss F Digital)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jvc1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,106
Re: Looking for lens for a proverbial soccer mom

My suggestion is here Canon Refurb Store . A great way to buy for less, comes with a 1 year warranty. Everything I've bought has been like new. What ever they do, I'd avoid the 75-300, many say it's the worst lens Canon makes.

-- hide signature --

I keep some of my favorite pictures here,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129958940@N03/

jvc1's gear list:jvc1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +10 more
OP Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 20,069

jvc1 wrote:

A great way to buy for less, comes with a 1 year warranty. Everything I've bought has been like new. What ever they do, I'd avoid the 75-300, many say it's the worst lens Canon makes.

Thanks - that makes the STM more appealing. And I didn't realize that the 75-300 lacks IS, so I think I'll just recommend the two flavors of 55-250.

Mike in Danville Junior Member • Posts: 35

I would agree with the 75-300 as far as poor quality. I went from that lens to a 70-200 F4L ... no comparison

Mike in Danville's gear list:Mike in Danville's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200 F4 II
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,296

There is a very good EF 70-300mm (not 75-300mm) which is well thought of for it's fast AF that would be worth looking at - a bit of extra reach on sports fields is rarely a bad thing.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
ffabrici Senior Member • Posts: 1,129
EF-S 55-250 for sure

Either of these for sure:

EF-S 55-250 STM for $299

ffabrici's gear list:ffabrici's gear list
Canon EOS R5
NikonHaoleboy
NikonHaoleboy Senior Member • Posts: 1,400

Dennis said: Thanks - that makes the STM more appealing. And I didn't realize that the 75-300 lacks IS, so I think I'll just recommend the two flavors of 55-250.

For the stated application, IS would be of little to no benefit.

NikonHaoleboy's gear list:NikonHaoleboy's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +3 more

NikonHaoleboy wrote:

Dennis said: Thanks - that makes the STM more appealing. And I didn't realize that the 75-300 lacks IS, so I think I'll just recommend the two flavors of 55-250.

For the stated application, IS would be of little to no benefit.

That depends. A sports photographer is going to try to shoot at 1/500s or faster. A soccer mom is going to put the camera in P mode or an action scene mode and live with whatever shutter speed she gets at f/5.6 and whatever ISO an old 1000D is programmed to use. If it's 1/EFL then IS should be helpful.

mikebinok
mikebinok Regular Member • Posts: 460

It is going back to when the 40D was a new camera, but I really liked my 55-250 original version at that time. I assume version II is at least as good. As long as it is fast enough in optics and focus!

I know nothing of the 75-300.

mikebinok's gear list:mikebinok's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +17 more
Sold!

My friend ordered one of the 55-250's last night - I'll have to check in to see which one she got. Told her to let me know if she needs any tips (I don't know if she just uses P mode or knows how to get a faster shutter speed with a higher ISO - she only broke out the old camera recently for soccer).

Thanks for the advice!

tdbmd Regular Member • Posts: 372

Dennis wrote:

I'm not familiar w/Canon so looking for advice.

A friend (non-photographer) wants a lens to shoot her daughter playing soccer with her old Rebel 1000D.

Looking at what's available, I see:
EF 75-300 III for $199
EF-S 55-250 STM for $299

Between the two cheaper options, what would you recommend ? Any compelling reason to suggest the more expensive STM lens ? Any other options I'm not seeing ? (Third party in that price range ?) On a 10MP camera, it doesn't need to be 'L' quality But if any of those are particularly better at focusing (on an older body) and/or better at the long end, that's worth knowing.

I'm guessing she would prefer to buy new from a reputable place (probably going to ask her husband for it for XMas ...)

Thanks,

Of those lenses, the EF-S 55-250 STM is, IMO, a much better lens than the other two.

tdbmd's gear list:tdbmd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +7 more
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,643

Andy01 wrote:

There is a very good EF 70-300mm (not 75-300mm) which is well thought of for it's fast AF that would be worth looking at - a bit of extra reach on sports fields is rarely a bad thing.

Colin

The 70-300 II, Colin?  The reach may also include cost for the soccer photographer.  Definitely worth checking to see if it's available as a refurb.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
davel33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,182

Canon has the EF-S 55-250 STM in stock at the  REFURB store for $239

-- hide signature --

"Just one more Lens, I promise....."
Dave

davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +27 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,296

Dave wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

Colin

The 70-300 II, Colin? The reach may also include cost for the soccer photographer. Definitely worth checking to see if it's available as a refurb.

Dave, yes, I think it is the 70-300mm ii - the latest one. IMO it is better than the others mentioned.

Worth mentioning that the OP raised this question a month ago and confirmed back then that his friend had already bought a 55-250mm.

Not sure why it has been resurrected (not by you Dave) now with further recommendations - perhaps not reading the thread beyond the first post ?

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads