DxO Photolab 4 sale

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
717 Contributing Member • Posts: 543
DxO Photolab 4 sale

Did anyone else get in on the Black Friday sale? I couldn't resit and now I have it with no idea how to use it. Once I get the hang of this I think it will do a nice job with noise issues on my D300S at high ISO.

Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 20,129
Re: DxO Photolab 4 sale

717 wrote:

Did anyone else get in on the Black Friday sale?

I did. Although it was an upgrade.

I couldn't resit and now I have it with no idea how to use it.

Take some time, watch a few YouTube Video Tutorials. You should be fine.

Once I get the hang of this I think it will do a nice job with noise issues on my D300S at high ISO.

Recently tried Deep PRIME on a few ISO 3200 shots I took just for this.

Here's one:

Stay healthy

ANAYV

OP 717 Contributing Member • Posts: 543

ANAYV wrote:

717 wrote:

I did. Although it was an upgrade.

I couldn't resit and now I have it with no idea how to use it.

Take some time, watch a few YouTube Video Tutorials. You should be fine.

Once I get the hang of this I think it will do a nice job with noise issues on my D300S at high ISO.

Recently tried Deep PRIME on a few ISO 3200 shots I took just for this.

Here's one:

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Very nice

Right now my issue just trying it is it doesn't pick up my presets. The Nikon software will apply the in camera setting to the raw conversion process unless I do something to stop it. For example if I have it on Vivid, it used those presents.

The DXO software seems to ignore all that. I am sure there is a lot I don't yet know about it.

Peter M J Regular Member • Posts: 405

Just google DX0 Photolab 4 Users Guide it is very detailed but I am sure if you read a chapter a night it will get you going It certainly helped me

Best wishes

Peter

Dyun27
Dyun27 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,268

717 wrote:

Very nice

Right now my issue just trying it is it doesn't pick up my presets. The Nikon software will apply the in camera setting to the raw conversion process unless I do something to stop it. For example if I have it on Vivid, it used those presents.

The DXO software seems to ignore all that. I am sure there is a lot I don't yet know about it.

No third-party software will apply your in-camera Nikon settings. Only View NXi and Capture NX-D are capable of that.

You can create your own presents in DxO and set one of them to either automatically apply to all your imported photos, or you can apply different presets to different photos as you go.

-- hide signature --
 Dyun27's gear list:Dyun27's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +11 more
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,030

Dyun27 wrote:

717 wrote:

Very nice

No third-party software will apply your in-camera Nikon settings. Only View NXi and Capture NX-D are capable of that.

You can create your own presents in DxO and set one of them to either automatically apply to all your imported photos, or you can apply different presets to different photos as you go.

LR Classic now can apply in camera settings or at least camera profiles.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
sdias Contributing Member • Posts: 506

717 wrote:

Yes, after seeing Dyun27's posts on D500 high ISO images.

Glad I got it as its so easy to use and has more lens profiles than C1.

OP 717 Contributing Member • Posts: 543

Dyun27 wrote:

717 wrote:

Very nice

I need to figure out the equivalents of the Nikon settings and store the presets then. The other choice is do the deep-prime noise reduction and then develop the rest of it with the Nikon software or some other mix while I learn all the ins and outs.

Speaking of, I never liked the SOOC jpegs from my D60, the PC always seems to do better developing the raw files. The D300 seems smarter, the SOOC photos are usually pretty good, high ISO noise excepted.

Dyun27

Sagittarius wrote:

Lightroom has always had this simplified option for camera profiles, but they never look quite as accurate or good as they do in View NXi or Capture NXD. The WB is always off just a bit, changing the way colors look.

DxO also has specific camera color profiles that you can apply on import, but neither program will perfectly match what you see in-camera, or in Nikon's software. I've created a few custom profiles for my cameras that I apply to my photos and go from there.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D40X Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +11 more
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,030

Dyun27 wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

Lightroom has always had this simplified option for camera profiles, but they never look quite as accurate or good as they do in View NXi or Capture NXD. The WB is always off just a bit, changing the way colors look.

DxO also has specific camera color profiles that you can apply on import, but neither program will perfectly match what you see in-camera, or in Nikon's software. I've created a few custom profiles for my cameras that I apply to my photos and go from there.

Before LR applied camera profile via default develop setting or preset on import. Now it applies camera profile set in camera automatically if you set this option in preferences. As for color accuracy, Ive opened ones same image in Capture NX-D and LR. Did not see any noticeable differences. YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Dyun27

717 wrote:

I need to figure out the equivalents of the Nikon settings and store the presets then. The other choice is do the deep-prime noise reduction and then develop the rest of it with the Nikon software or some other mix while I learn all the ins and outs.

Speaking of, I never liked the SOOC jpegs from my D60, the PC always seems to do better developing the raw files. The D300 seems smarter, the SOOC photos are usually pretty good, high ISO noise excepted.

You could always develop a few photos in View NXi with your camera settings, export as JPEG or TIFF and then tweak the RAW version in DxO until you get them looking close enough. Save the preset and use it with other photos. You might have to tweak that preset depending on your photo's exposure and WB, but it will get you close enough.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads