What's next for Blackmagic pocket cameras?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
mcalderon94 New Member • Posts: 10
What's next for Blackmagic pocket cameras?

Hello everybody,

does anybody know of any rumors in terms of "future" blackmagic pocket cameras?

The Pocket 4K was released in 2018 and the 6k in 2019. I know both are great cameras, but I wonder if 2021 may bring something else from them on the 2000-3000 USD price range...

The only rumor I've seen is this, but nor really sure how to take: https://www.eoshd.com/news/rumour-blackmagic-pocket-6k-pro-with-full-frame-sensor-may-be-announced/

Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,446
Re: What's next for Blackmagic pocket cameras?

I think that they'll come out with replacements for their Micro Cinema Cameras.

the original BMPCC came out in 2013, the pocket 4K in 2018, so I predict that the next iteration will come out in 2023.

OzRay
OzRay Forum Pro • Posts: 19,428

No one has ever been able to guess what Blackmagic will release, as they keep everything very close to their chest. Nor are they in the game of releasing something new every year, just because others do so.

That said, my guess is that there will be a new version of the Micro Cinema Camera, hopefully with a MFT sensor and BRAW, as that is something many have been wanting as an alternative to the ZCam, or what Panasonic recently released.

Whether they are working on a Komodo competitor, who knows, but there are many Blackmagic owners who are after that sort of form-factor. While FF is sought after by some, S35 and MFT are still highly popular and won't go away in the near future, they also keep the cost down.

-- hide signature --

Thoughts, Musings, Ideas and Images from South Gippsland
https://australianimage.com.au
YouTube

Ironfilm Regular Member • Posts: 250

Andrew S10 wrote:

the original BMPCC came out in 2013, the pocket 4K in 2018, so I predict that the next iteration will come out in 2023.

That is only two updates, thus the next cycle could easily be longer or shorter than that. 
Plus they did the kind of "update" with the P6K, thus I'd lean towards saying it could be longer than 2023 until a Pocket v3.0 comes out.

-- hide signature --

My YouTube vlog channel on pro sound recording: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

OzRay

Ironfilm wrote:

That is only two updates, thus the next cycle could easily be longer or shorter than that.
Plus they did the kind of "update" with the P6K, thus I'd lean towards saying it could be longer than 2023 until a Pocket v3.0 comes out.

I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. I've owned my BMPCC4K for two years now and still have no yearning for an updated version. I'm only interested in a Micro Cinema Camera for gimbal and other use, such as car mounting. There are still people using and raving about the original BMPCC, and that's decades old in digital camera terms.

-- hide signature --

YouTube

acps Regular Member • Posts: 185

Andrew S10 wrote:

God I hope so - I'd love an updated micro. The pocket 4k is great but too big to easily fit in a ROV housing

acps's gear list:acps's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 II +9 more
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,076

acps wrote:

Andrew S10 wrote:

God I hope so - I'd love an updated micro. The pocket 4k is great but too big to easily fit in a ROV housing

The Sigma fp is an updated micro - about as small small and shoots dng RAW just like the BMPCC, except now you can do 4K and its is full frame. And a better lcd and better battery life. Better in every way, basically ( I have used both).

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
OzRay

Markr041 wrote:

Better in every way, basically ( I have used both).

Better in every way depends on usage. Just shooting random scenes in your neighborhood may not be what others want.

-- hide signature --

YouTube

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,076

OzRay wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

Better in every way depends on usage. Just shooting random scenes in your neighborhood may not be what others want.

I do not understand the comment.

What usage might make the BMPCC superior to the fp?

Seriously, you do understand there is a travel ban? That there is a pandemic? And that evaluations of camera color, resolution, dynamic range, focus accuracy, stabilization, do not require exotic locations or story lines. Is this some sort of Aussie defense of an Aussie product? The BMPCC had its day, it was great, it was pioneering. The BMPCC 4K and 6K are not the successors (whatever their merits), despite their absurd name (Pocket is a joke).

Oh, and by the way, would you like to see some videos shot in NYC, Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Beijing using the BMPCC? I can vouch the usage there would favor the Sigma fp, although I still like the originals.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
OzRay

As some others have also noted, all you have ever appeared to do is just use one camera after another to shoot random stuff at one place or another. Your YouTube channel is full of this stuff. It's as if you work at a camera store and just borrow one camera after another to take these random videos.

You don't don't provide anything meaningful other than these random videos and then make condescending judgement calls on what camera is better than another. And pandemic? You've been doing this for years now and it's all the same. We've been in lockdown for almost a year, just going outside without a legal excuse has been forbidden for most of the year.

So please, don't make judgement calls on things that are beyond your ken.

-- hide signature --

YouTube

acps Regular Member • Posts: 185

Markr041 wrote:

acps wrote:

Andrew S10 wrote:

The Sigma fp is an updated micro - about as small small and shoots dng RAW just like the BMPCC, except now you can do 4K and its is full frame. And a better lcd and better battery life. Better in every way, basically ( I have used both).

Erm, the micro is still QUITE a bit smaller than the Sigma FP. I'm talking about a camera that fits in a 4" diameter tube and fits my extensive collection of m43 lenses. It's not better in every way because it's not better for my stated application. Full frame is overrated 🤣

acps's gear list:acps's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 II +9 more
Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,446

Ironfilm wrote:

Andrew S10 wrote:

It's hard to say, previous release dates are all we have to go off of, aside from guessing how Blackmagic will respond to market trends.

They might release the same pocket cameras with a tilting screen (like you can do with the Tilta kits), but there will probably be more upgrades than that, as Blackmagic is good about including big upgrades with each iteration.

P.S. With the BMPCC 4K/6K's form factor, it would make more sense to call it a BMCC Mark II.

OzRay

Andrew S10 wrote:

P.S. With the BMPCC 4K/6K's form factor, it would make more sense to call it a BMCC Mark II.

I can't find the reference now, but I think it was Grant Petty who alluded that the naming convention was a reflection of the Australian sense of humour. Others have alluded that because the BMPCC4K was big in capabilities compared to regular cinema cameras, but much smaller in size, it was like a pocket battleship.

-- hide signature --

YouTube

John Brawley Contributing Member • Posts: 765

Markr041 wrote:

OzRay wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

I do not understand the comment.

What usage might make the BMPCC superior to the fp?

ProRes would be the big one.

60 FPS 12Bit RAW internal recording, and full bit depth doesn't require a fragile external SSD.

Much faster integration time (rolling shutter) which is important for a lot of the times you use a "rig" or action camera like this. 13ms Vs 20Ms.

Smaller size is better for a lot of action rigs. (also the expansion port for custom external control)

External TC input (jam-syncable internal clock)

Or if a full frame look, AF, good stills camera, 4K, was important then the FP is going to be the better option.

Depends on what's important to the user, but I don't think a generalisation like that stands up here.

JB

-- hide signature --

John Brawley
Cinematographer
Los Angeles California
www.johnbrawley.com
http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/

John Brawley's gear list:John Brawley's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M-E Typ 220 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Leica M10 +37 more
Alfonso J Regular Member • Posts: 162

You are reading my mind 100000000000% I need an MFT cube from Blackmagic so badly. Just give me 6k MFT with better DR, less rolling shutter, some slomo and I'm happy. Nobody needs 8K on an MFT sensor.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads