My latest purchases...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
theworstphotographerontheinternet Regular Member • Posts: 167
My latest purchases...

Okay, so it's not as exciting as new gear, but hopefully these will be just as beneficial in the long-run.

Supisiche Contributing Member • Posts: 574
Re: My latest purchases...

Nice.

JeffSlade
JeffSlade Regular Member • Posts: 496

Congratulations. They look interesting.

-- hide signature --

I believe in wabi-sabi : a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. I appreciate beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billpoplawski/albums/with/72157716942456506
https://www.youtube.com/c/twelfthavenuecuisine

JeffSlade's gear list:JeffSlade's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,346

Excellent. I'd be especially happy to hear what you think of the composition book. Would you mind letting us know?

-- hide signature --
FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,592

theworstphotographerontheinternet wrote:

Okay, so it's not as exciting as new gear, but hopefully these will be just as beneficial in the long-run.

Actually, I find the top one very exciting indeed. It is a great book about how to think about composition.

BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,808

I've been an avid reader all my life, so these look interesting. Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

My best aviation photos: https://500px.com/kenfm2018

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,587

You are completely wrong.  They will be much more beneficial than new gear!

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,033

The only problem is once you've gone through those you'll have to change your username!

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,861

Good stuff.

Also good is Jay Maisel's "Light, Gesture, Color".

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 6,086

Education is always a better investment than the latest gear.

-- hide signature --

Satan loves the shadows - and the highlights.

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Brian Chichester
Brian Chichester Regular Member • Posts: 486

I have a copy of The Photographer's Eye: sometimes it's hard going, but the guy knows his stuff and you are bound to pick up some useful information.

It's not 'instant gratification' like a shiny new lens, but in the long run you will benefit more from it.

Brian Chichester's gear list:Brian Chichester's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +10 more
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,076
We should have a (pinned thread) book list...

You get much more benefit from learning how to photograph than new gear for sure!

It's a shame we dont have a "reading list" anywhere - might be more helpful than some of the camera reviews. And Amazon sell books as well as cameras (and own dpreview!).

Both of those are good books and for sure would be on the list.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,861
Re: We should have a (pinned thread) book list...

linux99 wrote:

You get much more benefit from learning how to photograph than new gear for sure!

It's a shame we dont have a "reading list" anywhere - might be more helpful than some of the camera reviews. And Amazon sell books as well as cameras (and own dpreview!).

They would, but many of the best photography books are collections of the work of outstanding photographers, and these tend to go out of print rather quickly.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,076
Definitely two types of photo book....

D Cox wrote:

linux99 wrote:

They would, but many of the best photography books are collections of the work of outstanding photographers, and these tend to go out of print rather quickly.

In my mind there are two (maybe three) very distinct types of photo book:

1. How to... Books which focus on technique, composition, maybe critical theory and a very clear sub category on specific camera model based books (Nikon D1 For Dummies etc).

The two books the OP bought fall into that category. I'd also list the books by Harald Mante, most of the books by the Amphoto publishing house, Lauden and Lauden, the Tom Ang books, Barthes, Sontag etc.

These tend to stick around, and a list would be good.

2. Separate category - books of photographs by excellent photographers which serve as a reference. I'd also include select museum catalogues in that category. Thinking of books like "Tokyo Lucky Hole", "Provoke", The Americans" or "Love on the Left bank".

These may be ephemeral - but often you can buy nearly as good reprints from Taschen or Phiadon.

A list of the true classics here would also be good - even is only to tell you what to borrow from the library!

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
OP theworstphotographerontheinternet Regular Member • Posts: 167

Autonerd wrote:

Excellent. I'd be especially happy to hear what you think of the composition book. Would you mind letting us know?

Certainly, I'll be happy to share a few thoughts once I've made my way through it!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads