Canon PRO-200 on its way...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,668
Canon PRO-200 on its way...

I've just heard* that a PRO-200 is being sent out for one of my reviews.

If anyone has any specific questions, please do let me know?

It will be interesting to compare some PRO-200/300 prints, since I've never had both dye and pigment ink versions of a printer type here at the same time.

* The house management has not yet been informed. Not sure how well having a P700, P900+roll unit, PRO-300 and PRO-200 here is going to be received...

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
ChicagoRob
ChicagoRob Contributing Member • Posts: 948
Re: Canon PRO-200 on its way...

Keith Cooper wrote:

* The house management has not yet been informed. Not sure how well having a P700, P900+roll unit, PRO-300 and PRO-200 here is going to be received...

You can handle it, Keith. Hang tough.

NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,641
Great! Now, questions ...

Whohoo!

IMO the most interesting question is how the supposedly-new black and magenta inks really compare. Supposedly compared to the longstanding ChromaLife 100+ inks in the Pro-100 and many other printers, the black ink produces darker blacks and the magenta expands the gamut. Can either or both of those be detected visually? With measurements associated with profiling or otherwise? Is the new black equally neutral, more so, less so? If you want, I would print you Pro-100 test / comparison prints on (U.S.) standard letter-size (8.5x11 in) Canon papers and mail them to you (PM me if interested).

Of course, another question is whether / how these new inks affect fade resistance. But that's more Mark McCormick's area.

Another question is whether there area any print quality or head-strike issues with printing on stiff and thick 'art' papers nearer the top and bottom than the 30mm that the Pro-100 allows.

Thanks!

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keith Cooper
OP Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,668
Re: Great! Now, questions ...

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Whohoo!

IMO the most interesting question is how the supposedly-new black and magenta inks really compare. Supposedly compared to the longstanding ChromaLife 100+ inks in the Pro-100 and many other printers, the black ink produces darker blacks and the magenta expands the gamut. Can either or both of those be detected visually?

This I can't directly answer - it was years ago I last had such a printer here to look at

With measurements associated with profiling or otherwise? Is the new black equally neutral, more so, less so? If you want, I would print you Pro-100 test / comparison prints on (U.S.) standard letter-size (8.5x11 in) Canon papers and mail them to you (PM me if interested).

A good suggestion - I'll let you know - this partly depends on what papers I get and what you've got.

Of course, another question is whether / how these new inks affect fade resistance. But that's more Mark McCormick's area.

Ah yes - something my patience (or that of the house management) doesn't run to testing

Another question is whether there area any print quality or head-strike issues with printing on stiff and thick 'art' papers nearer the top and bottom than the 30mm that the Pro-100 allows.

Paper handling is one of the biggest improvements in the pro-300, I'm expecting similar in the 200.

The old 100 paper margin limitations were to me a massive fail - I'll need to have a good read of my 2014 review though.

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
farmersteve
farmersteve Senior Member • Posts: 1,034

Keith Cooper wrote:

It will be interesting to compare some PRO-200/300 prints, since I've never had both dye and pigment ink versions of a printer type here at the same time.

Are these printer reviews paying the bills? Then tell your significant other to get over it...

Specifically, I want to see side by side comparisons of the 200/300 with respect to black and white prints, especially on matte papers.

farmersteve's gear list:farmersteve's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS RP Canon Pixma Pro-10 Canon Pixma Pro-100 +2 more
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,641

IMO the most interesting question is how the supposedly-new black and magenta inks really compare. Supposedly compared to the longstanding ChromaLife 100+ inks in the Pro-100 and many other printers, the black ink produces darker blacks and the magenta expands the gamut. Can either or both of those be detected visually?

This I can't directly answer - it was years ago I last had such a printer here to look at

With measurements associated with profiling or otherwise? Is the new black equally neutral, more so, less so? If you want, I would print you Pro-100 test / comparison prints on (U.S.) standard letter-size (8.5x11 in) Canon papers and mail them to you (PM me if interested).

A good suggestion - I'll let you know - this partly depends on what papers I get and what you've got.

I could, e.g., print on the Pro-100 some test images on our Pro-100 using Canon Glossy II, Pro Luster, and Pro Premium Matte, and then send you not only those test prints but also a few sheets of each paper for you to print test images on the Pro-200.

We'd need to work out a protocol to try to make sure the prints are otherwise-comparable, but I don't think it would be that difficult.

As for other papers, I have Canson Rag Photographique 210, and I think I have a few sheets of Canson Platine, plus some others. But my idea is to stick to very common / standard papers.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keith Cooper

farmersteve wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

Are these printer reviews paying the bills?

I wish - I get nothing for them, other than visits to our web site and a small ad revenue and a few other affiliate things.  Of course it does mean I'm never short of paper That and it helps get my requests for other things to test taken more seriously.

It does actually help the photo business, by giving me the chance to experiment and try new things in ways a lot of pro photographers miss out on

Then tell your significant other to get over it...

Hmm, I'll get you her number...

But seriously, I just need to remember not to leave stuff laying around for too long

Specifically, I want to see side by side comparisons of the 200/300 with respect to black and white prints, especially on matte papers.

I'll be sure to have lots of charts to measure with the i1iSis

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

I could, e.g., print on the Pro-100 some test images on our Pro-100 using Canon Glossy II, Pro Luster, and Pro Premium Matte, and then send you not only those test prints but also a few sheets of each paper for you to print test images on the Pro-200.

We'd need to work out a protocol to try to make sure the prints are otherwise-comparable, but I don't think it would be that difficult.

As for other papers, I have Canson Rag Photographique 210, and I think I have a few sheets of Canson Platine, plus some others. But my idea is to stick to very common / standard papers.

Sure - this might be best, since some papers here in Europe are not necessarily the same - also we only have A4.

I'll have a look and see what comes with the 200, since I was only told that one was 'going to be sent' this morning.

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

phcd Forum Member • Posts: 69

The most obvious question, already mentioned, is how the new color set compares.  But what does the printer deliver in terms of improved function, cost of use and perceived print quality.  How does it differentiate from Epson?  What advantage does a user have over an Epson?

chrisgalway New Member • Posts: 8

Keith, find out if it has a driver and SETUP for Mac OS11 (Big Sur).

Keith Cooper

chrisgalway wrote:

Keith, find out if it has a driver and SETUP for Mac OS11 (Big Sur).

No idea on that I'm afraid - I still use a souped up 2010 Mac Pro on 10.14 I suspect the chances of me acquiring a Mac to run that system any time soon are slim at best...

Well, that and I have to admit that having used and for a long while looked after Macs since 1990 I've studiously avoided any Mac system with a .0 in the name for actual work

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

palombian Regular Member • Posts: 242

Your efforts are much appreciated!

palombian's gear list:palombian's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M6 II +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads