Leica 50mm Summicron collapsible (1117094)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 2,053
Leica 50mm Summicron collapsible (1117094)

Hi guys,

I just purchased this lens which is like to use on my M10R. Does anyone have any advice on what to put manually put it in in the M10R? Would it be a 50mm f2, and yea which one?

Thanks a million. 
Elie

eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Hasselblad X1D II 50C Leica M10-R Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Hasselblad XCD 45mm F4 +1 more
Leica M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tomm111 Senior Member • Posts: 1,048
Re: Leica 50mm Summicron collapsible (1117094)

eliehbk wrote:

Hi guys,

I just purchased this lens which is like to use on my M10R. Does anyone have any advice on what to put manually put it in in the M10R? Would it be a 50mm f2, and yea which one?

Thanks a million.
Elie

Your lens is earlier than mine 11189, there is nothing that matches on the list, Both of our lenses look like they were made in 1953. If you want to use a lens profile I would use the lowest 11817, which looks like a 1954.

I use a CL and most of my M lenses are older and don't come close to numbers on the profiles. So I just don't use them except for my 23 which automatically sets. I also find it annoying to have to go through the lens menu. You could choose the 50 f/2 11817 setting and see how it goes, but also try no profile and compare.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
Bags27 Contributing Member • Posts: 954

Tomm111 wrote:

eliehbk wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks a million.
Elie

Your lens is earlier than mine 11189, there is nothing that matches on the list, Both of our lenses look like they were made in 1953. If you want to use a lens profile I would use the lowest 11817, which looks like a 1954.

I use a CL and most of my M lenses are older and don't come close to numbers on the profiles. So I just don't use them except for my 23 which automatically sets. I also find it annoying to have to go through the lens menu. You could choose the 50 f/2 11817 setting and see how it goes, but also try no profile and compare.

Do the collapsibles pose a threat to hitting the sensor? I think that's true of some collapsibles and not others; and true for some M digital bodies and not others.

The 50 Summicron collapsible fits on my M8 fine and even my CL collapsed. People have asked why I collapse it, the general answer is "because I can". The Elmar collapsibles have a longer extension into the camera body, especially the 90 Elmar. I also understand that you can't use even the Summicron collapsed on a film CL or M5.

Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739

I set my v2 "rigid" 50mm 'Cron to the v3 (11817) profile. This works fine…there isn't much (if anything) going on with 50mm profiling anyway other than a small amount of corner de-vignetting.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +9 more
JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,266

Bags27 wrote:

Tomm111 wrote:

eliehbk wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks a million.
Elie

Do the collapsibles pose a threat to hitting the sensor? I think that's true of some collapsibles and not others; and true for some M digital bodies and not others.

No it will not hit the sensor.

If it were long enough, and the 50 collapsible is not, it would hit the shutter first.

JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton +4 more
OP eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 2,053

Thanks guys, I’ve tried the earliest profiles in the menu. I don’t really see any visible difference, except that there’s always a green cast to the pictures - maybe it’s just a characteristic of an old single coated lens.

to answer your question about collapsing the lens, it’s a “yes”, I collapse mine on the M10R and nothing happens. The lens isn’t long enough to protrude all the way to the sensor/shutter. I wouldn’t do it with the 90mm though.

Leica Q2 Monochrom Hasselblad X1D II 50C Leica M10-R Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Hasselblad XCD 45mm F4 +1 more
bs1946
bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,446

Bags27 wrote:

Both the M8 and M9 user manuals have an almost identical section on lenses you cannot use, lenses that you have to take care with when using them, and lens that are just not recommended for one reason or another. I would expect that this information is also available in the user manuals for the rest of the digital Ms. Just about all of the collapsable lenses are listed either in the cannot use or use with caution categories.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
www.flickr.com/photos/wrs1946
instagram.com@billschaffel
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
– Henri Cartier-Bresson -

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +9 more

eliehbk wrote:

Thanks guys, I’ve tried the earliest profiles in the menu. I don’t really see any visible difference, except that there’s always a green cast to the pictures - maybe it’s just a characteristic of an old single coated lens.

to answer your question about collapsing the lens, it’s a “yes”, I collapse mine on the M10R and nothing happens. The lens isn’t long enough to protrude all the way to the sensor/shutter. I wouldn’t do it with the 90mm though.

The Summicron 1s are notorious for having internal fogging. Several people told me not to buy it because of this. The lens may need a CLA, dang thing is 67 years old. I have a Rollei 2.8C (1952) that I was never impressed with the lens that had a great reputation, sent the camera in for a CLA and they cleaned the lens internally, the change was amazing.

Bags27 Contributing Member • Posts: 954

Thanks. This is from the M10 manual:

• The following cannot be used:

– Hologon 15mm f/8,

• – Summicron 50mm f/2 with close-up attachment,
  • – Elmar 90mm f/4 with retractable barrel (manufactured from 1954-1968)
  • – Some versions of the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 (not aspherical, manufactured from 1961-1995, Made in Canada) cannot be attached to the camera or will not focus to infinity. The Leica Customer Care department can modify these lenses so that they can be used on the camera.
  • • The following can be used, but risk damaging the camera or lens: Lenses with retractable barrel can only be used with the barrel extended, i.e. their barrel must never be retracted into the camera. This is not the case with the current Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4, as its barrel does not protrude into the camera body even when retracted. It can therefore be used without any restrictions.
David Kieltyka

eliehbk wrote:

Yes. My 35/2.8 Summaron cranks up the greens too. The in-camera lens profiles don't adjust overall color balance, just corner vignetting and edge color casts.

-Dave-

I’m not a big fan of this!

eliehbk wrote:

Are you using jpeg or RAW/DNG? The closest thing I have to your camera is my CL. My 50 Summicron collapsible is close to yours 1118962 and I don't see any green in the RAW files. I still think a cleaning would help the lens. I bought mine from KEH as a user but has always looked good.

I realized I hadn't used the Summicron on my CL much so went out this morning, a grey New England morning waiting for snow. These are right out of the camera no RAW adjustments.

50 Summicron Collapsible f2 CL

50 Summicron Collapsible f5.6 CL

I just bought the camera from B&H and it looks in very good condition, not even a scratch on the lens. The green case is usually indoor, haven't seen any outdoors.

Enjoy your lens, it's a nice tiny thing!

David Kieltyka

eliehbk wrote:

I don't mind it, particularly when taking pics featuring green foliage. A couple examples with the 35mm Summaron from this past July. I code the lens as a v1 35 'Lux 'cuz it has similar vignetting characteristics.

f/8

f/8

-Dave-

Nice pictures. These lenses are good value for the money if you want to go the Leica route.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads