Is this photo with an X100F and the WCL sufficiently sharp?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
john si New Member • Posts: 3
Is this photo with an X100F and the WCL sufficiently sharp?

I am having some possible trouble with my Fuji X100f and a mounted WCL wide angle.

I know that the WCL is supposed to not degrade optical quality -- but, I feel like I am noticing a pattern of softer images with its use.

This image was taken with the X100f + WCL combo at f/8, iso 200, exposure 1/400.  I processed the image in Capture one and boosted the shadows.

Would appreciate any comments on whether the image is too soft... or the appearance of softness is more likely due to the presence of so many leaves/trees? And a 24mp sensor can only resolve so much? ie are problems really there or am I seeing things?  The X100F without the WCL is very sharp, even at f2.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Human Elements
Human Elements Contributing Member • Posts: 529
Re: Is this photo with an X100F and the WCL sufficiently sharp?

I'm not 100% sure but you might be focused on the mid/background mountains in this shot. If so, it makes sense why the foreground looks fine at normal viewing distances but looks slightly soft when zoomed in.

Human Elements's gear list:Human Elements's gear list
Fujifilm X100V
SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Contributing Member • Posts: 950

Yes, nothing in this photo appears to be sufficiently sharp to my eyes.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | Fujifilm X100V | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 11,284

john si wrote:

I am having some possible trouble with my Fuji X100f and a mounted WCL wide angle.

I know that the WCL is supposed to not degrade optical quality -- but, I feel like I am noticing a pattern of softer images with its use.

This image was taken with the X100f + WCL combo at f/8, iso 200, exposure 1/400. I processed the image in Capture one and boosted the shadows.

Would appreciate any comments on whether the image is too soft... or the appearance of softness is more likely due to the presence of so many leaves/trees? And a 24mp sensor can only resolve so much? ie are problems really there or am I seeing things? The X100F without the WCL is very sharp, even at f2.

It could be the dpreview conversion but this is a horrible shot.

You have the RAW file?

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
thedullchannel
thedullchannel Forum Member • Posts: 54

I don't know if and what kind of post processing went on or how the camera sharpness was set up but it does look soft indeed. From experience though I can say that the WCL-X100 should be pretty sharp.

Did you use the shutter or the self timer? A tripod or handheld?

-- hide signature --

Imaginative Thoughts and Thoughtful Images
www.thedullchannel.com

thedullchannel's gear list:thedullchannel's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +11 more
SirPalomid
SirPalomid Contributing Member • Posts: 930

Looks pretty soft with a lot of noise - I suspect misfocus and poor RAW processing. RAF file will be helpful indeed.

My WCL has some field curve, but it is sharp at f5.6-f8, maybe except very extreme corners.

SirPalomid's gear list:SirPalomid's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon Z5 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Samuraidog Contributing Member • Posts: 761

SpeedyNeo wrote:

How are you guys able to tell that it is soft. When I click the picture, I don't get the "Loupe" option to take a closer look.

Maybe you guys are viewing it on a larger monitor? (I'm on a laptop.)

Samuraidog's gear list:Samuraidog's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,762

Almost the whole photo seems soft and blurred out, like it went through some kind of softening in post processing or missed focus big time. And I'm definitely not a pixel peeper like some on this board.

I take these kind of shots with my 14 and you can basically zoom in anywhere at f8/f11 and it would be ultra sharp and croppable if need be, so maybe something up or the 14 is that much better that I'm used to. 18-55 is also way sharper than that at 18mm.

My iphone 12 takes way better jpegs than that with that kind of scene to be honest. I'd check the lens/settings/raw file/focus.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
yayatosorus Senior Member • Posts: 1,080

Samuraidog wrote:

SpeedyNeo wrote:

How are you guys able to tell that it is soft. When I click the picture, I don't get the "Loupe" option to take a closer look.

Maybe you guys are viewing it on a larger monitor? (I'm on a laptop.)

In the viewer click on "JPEG", next to "Original:". You'll be then have access to the full res shot and you'll be able to zoom.

yayatosorus's gear list:yayatosorus's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,358

john si wrote:

This image was taken with the X100f + WCL combo at f/8, iso 200, exposure 1/400. I processed the image in Capture one and boosted the shadows.

Would appreciate any comments on whether the image is too soft... or the appearance of softness is more likely due to the presence of so many leaves/trees? And a 24mp sensor can only resolve so much? ie are problems really there or am I seeing things? The X100F without the WCL is very sharp, even at f2.

could you please share an unprocessed [straight out of camera] jpg or even better the raw? Part or all of the problem may be caused by the processing settings.

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Fujiukian Regular Member • Posts: 232

Nothing worse than a fuzzy shot of a sharp concept !

Fujiukian's gear list:Fujiukian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50R
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 11,284

Fujiukian wrote:

Nothing worse than a fuzzy shot of a sharp concept !

A famous almost-quote 😎

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
mtnroads Regular Member • Posts: 112

It's so unsharp it's as if there was a physical barrier in the way, like clear plastic. Or the adapter is not on correctly, or a softening filter.

mtnroads's gear list:mtnroads's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,418
No

Sorry John, no, nothing in this image is sharp to my eye.

Pete Carpenter New Member • Posts: 15
Maybe misfocused?

Hello John,

zooming in closely, to me it seems the focus lies very close. I've taking two screenshots of our image, and the leafs/flora closest look to be sharpest.

How did you focus? Auto/manual?

Leafs in yellow box getting sharper.

baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,641

I looked  to the max using the + key

Nothing is sharp, a pity the view is just lovely

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
OP john si New Member • Posts: 3

I really apologize for the slow reply and I really appreciate everyone looking at the image.

The raw can be downloaded at the below. I underexposed to not get the sky highlights blown out. I probably under exposed a touch too much. The image was only process in capture one version 20.

Regarding where the focus was --- i used automatic focus, but I could swear that I used the joystick to focus on the clouds/infinity. I thought I was at a wide enough aperture to get close to infinite depth of field. I'm still perplexed. I have notice that my "error rate" using the WCL is way, way higher than without it.

<<<linked deleted, see below>>>>

OP john si New Member • Posts: 3

I think this link actually works, the other one seems corrupted.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CRxvJv1RvVGpNr4h7HcGKlZ9rpU0Gzwx/view?usp=sharing

Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 3,229

john si wrote:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CRxvJv1RvVGpNr4h7HcGKlZ9rpU0Gzwx/view?usp=sharing

I took a quick stab at this, but it is indeed quite crappy looking. It's a good composition of a beautiful scene and looks OK at first glance, but the fine detail is really lacking (I did sharpen it rather a lot). I've used the WCL briefly on my X100V and it absolutely manages nearly the same IQ as without it (and much better than this). If your camera looks good without the WCL, either you somehow managed to screw the WCL on wrong (unlikely), or it's just plain bad. You'd think with no moving elements, the converters would be consistently pretty good, but this one is apparently not. This image is underexposed and noisy, which isn't helping the IQ, and you may have focused a bit too close, but even the close stuff looks subpar here. If you can return the WCL, you should.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,358

john si wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

I have to ask [since it once happened to me]: there is no protective film somewhere on the converter?

Does taking it off and putting it on again make any difference?

In one post you said you may have tried focusing on the clouds. That does not seem like a good idea to me. Clouds are too fuzzy fluffy.

For testing purposes, you might try focusing manually, using the camera's focusing aids.

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads