A7R IV and LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA5 for non-screw drive lenses

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,759
A7R IV and LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA5 for non-screw drive lenses

I've just ordered an a7RIV and Sony 24-105/F4G, and added an LA-EA5 adapter as an impulse buy. But looking at my A-mount lens collection, there are only a handful of screw-drive Minolta primes (all covered by the 24-105 range) and the 35-70/f4 zoom that I would be adapting; the rest have internal motors. Primary among those is the full frame Sony 70-400G2, and a couple of crop-sensor lenses I'd use occasionally (Tokina 11-16/f2.8 and Sony 16-50/f2.8).

So Would I have done better to order the LA-EA3 to use with these motorized A-mount lenses, or are there other advances in the LA-EA5 that make it a better option even for non-screw drive lenses?

(I could post this in the A-mount forum as well, as it's sort of a hybrid question!)

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

 TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7R IV Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +3 more
Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,759
Re: A7R IV and LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA5 for non-screw drive lenses

I just re-watched the DPReviewTV review of the LA-EA5 and noticed the new adapter supports real-time tracking and Eye-AF, and looks to be about the same size as the LA-EA3, so I guess in that respect it's probably worth little extra money.

I still welcome any feedback from users who have used both adapters, especially with the 70-400G2 lens.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

 TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7R IV Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +3 more
Mike Evangelist
Mike Evangelist Contributing Member • Posts: 599
Re: A7R IV and LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA5 for non-screw drive lenses
1

TheVoid wrote:

...looks to be about the same size as the LA-EA3, so I guess in that respect it's probably worth little extra money.

Actually, the LA-EA5 is quite a bit smaller than even the LA-EA3, as it doesn't have the annoying protrusion on the bottom. That bottom bump on the old adapter can be bothersome when mounting the camera on a tripod (especially if you want to use an Arca-style QR plate) or using the vertical grip.

 Mike Evangelist's gear list:Mike Evangelist's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sony FE 12-24mm F2.8 GM Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 +1 more
Qqphot Regular Member • Posts: 149
Re: A7R IV and LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA5 for non-screw drive lenses

TheVoid wrote:

I've just ordered an a7RIV and Sony 24-105/F4G, and added an LA-EA5 adapter as an impulse buy. But looking at my A-mount lens collection, there are only a handful of screw-drive Minolta primes (all covered by the 24-105 range) and the 35-70/f4 zoom that I would be adapting; the rest have internal motors. Primary among those is the full frame Sony 70-400G2, and a couple of crop-sensor lenses I'd use occasionally (Tokina 11-16/f2.8 and Sony 16-50/f2.8).

So Would I have done better to order the LA-EA3 to use with these motorized A-mount lenses, or are there other advances in the LA-EA5 that make it a better option even for non-screw drive lenses?

(I could post this in the A-mount forum as well, as it's sort of a hybrid question!)

Thanks,

With non-screwdrive lenses I think it provides nearly all the functionality of native lenses including all the tracking and detection functions, which I don't *think* do th LA-EA3 does, or at least not as fully.

Even with screwdrive lenses it does that, but probably not as well just due to the mechanics. I'm a little surprised they even included that functionality considering how old even the newest screw drive lenses are now, but it's pretty cool to see it work.

I have an old 80s minolta 28-135 f4 zoom which is remarkably decent given it's era, and with the LA-EA5 it's got a bit of a new life.

The only thing is if you have other bodies besides the a7r IV, the LA-EA5 won't really work fully with them, while the EA3 will work with everything as far as I know.

splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,554
Re: A7R IV and LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA5 for non-screw drive lenses

As good as the minolta's where that time, modern lenses are often much better and (in my opinion) not good on the A7RIV.

Since you have the Sony lens covering all the old primes lengths, there is no benefit to use an old prime with adapter, I think.

 splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +1 more
OP TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,759
Thanks everyone.

Good info. it will be fun to do a little comparison of the old Minolta primes to the same focal length on the new 24-105. And I still got a 70-210 beer can lying around that might see some new use as well.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

 TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7R IV Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +3 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,501
Re: A7R IV and LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA5 for non-screw drive lenses

TheVoid wrote:

I just re-watched the DPReviewTV review of the LA-EA5 and noticed the new adapter supports real-time tracking and Eye-AF, and looks to be about the same size as the LA-EA3, so I guess in that respect it's probably worth little extra money.

The LA-EA5 and LA-EA3 have the same functionality with motorized lenses according to Sony. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00059736

The LA-EA3 supports real-time tracking. Eye AF worked with it on the original A7.

 QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7 III NEX-5T Sony a7R II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +110 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads