Why would I register my battery?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Giantmike13 New Member • Posts: 22
Why would I register my battery?

I don’t know if I totally missed it, but I don’t remember the option to register my batteries on my 5D III. In my new R6, I do have this option when I click Info when in the Battery Info menu.

My question is, “why”? I don’t see anything in the advanced users guide as to why I might want to take this action.

Any insights on why to do this?

Giantmike13's gear list:Giantmike13's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
ANSWER:
Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RDKirk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,919
Re: Why would I register my battery?

Giantmike13 wrote:

I don’t know if I totally missed it, but I don’t remember the option to register my batteries on my 5D III. In my new R6, I do have this option when I click Info when in the Battery Info menu.

My question is, “why”? I don’t see anything in the advanced users guide as to why I might want to take this action.

They've had battery registration since the 5DII.

The camera has a simple battery analyzer function that can measure the decreasing rechargeability of the battery as it ages, and give you specific notice when the battery is losing capacity from age or damage (that's in the Battery Info menu item).

But to do that, it must be able to identify the battery each time it's put into the camera with a full charge, where it will track how the battery drains with each shot for each charge. That's what registration is for. Each battery has an internal registration number that the camera can read and report to the user (you should put the number on a label so that you can identify the battery yourself). My cameras can hold six registration numbers at a time.

-- hide signature --

RDKirk
'TANSTAAFL: The only unbreakable rule in photography.'

RDKirk's gear list:RDKirk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +7 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP Giantmike13 New Member • Posts: 22

Thanks for that great info!

Giantmike13's gear list:Giantmike13's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,165

RDKirk wrote:

Giantmike13 wrote:

They've had battery registration since the 5DII.

The camera has a simple battery analyzer function that can measure the decreasing rechargeability of the battery as it ages, and give you specific notice when the battery is losing capacity from age or damage (that's in the Battery Info menu item).

But to do that, it must be able to identify the battery each time it's put into the camera with a full charge, where it will track how the battery drains with each shot for each charge. That's what registration is for. Each battery has an internal registration number that the camera can read and report to the user (you should put the number on a label so that you can identify the battery yourself). My cameras can hold six registration numbers at a time.

Thank you.  I only have four which support Green H+ so I will register those to see how this feature works.  I have older batteries for older bodies that work but they only support white H+  and not green, but will make do in a pinch.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,466

You are talking about "registering" the batteries to the camera, correct? I thought I was familiar with my previous cameras, but don't remember this function from them. Meanwhile, please elaborate on the steps to take in the menu for the R5 and R to register them. At first I thought you were talking about registering the batteries you own, as products, with Canon for warranty purposes.

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

David Franklin's gear list:David Franklin's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads