Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Bob
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,627
Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

The Leica D L 7 is intriguing. But it's hard to find real hands-on reviews - especially ones which compare it to its Panasonic counterpart. DPR doesn't have a full review of the Leica. Neither does Imaging-Resources.

Do any of you DPR members actually own one of these? What's your impression?

JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,290
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

Bob wrote:

The Leica D L 7 is intriguing. But it's hard to find real hands-on reviews - especially ones which compare it to its Panasonic counterpart. DPR doesn't have a full review of the Leica. Neither does Imaging-Resources.

Do any of you DPR members actually own one of these? What's your impression?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFuEQuY7uO4

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/leica_d_lux_7_review

https://cameradecision.com/review/Leica-D-Lux-7

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/leica-d-lux-7

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/leica-d-lux-7-review

http://findingrange.com/2019/03/11/leica-d-lux-7-compact-camera-review/

https://cameravs.com/Leica-D-Lux-7

 JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton +4 more
Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,257
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.
4

Bob wrote:

The Leica D L 7 is intriguing. But it's hard to find real hands-on reviews - especially ones which compare it to its Panasonic counterpart. DPR doesn't have a full review of the Leica. Neither does Imaging-Resources.

Do any of you DPR members actually own one of these? What's your impression?

I have the 7 - great camera, the jpegs from the 7 are slightly different from the Pany version are less heavy.. Easy camera to use, battery lasts a substantial time (I carry a spare) It is a Leica -

Feel free to ask for more images or any other info.. Regards, L

-- hide signature --

Trying Harder Than Ever ..

 Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more
purpwaltz
purpwaltz Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.
2

Bob wrote:

The Leica D L 7 is intriguing. But it's hard to find real hands-on reviews - especially ones which compare it to its Panasonic counterpart. DPR doesn't have a full review of the Leica. Neither does Imaging-Resources.

Do any of you DPR members actually own one of these? What's your impression?

I have the D-Lux7. My primary reason for buying it is as my primary "walkabout" camera during my Himalayan treks. For this application I wanted a camera that I could carry all day in challenging terrain which gives excellent image quality and has a zoom range that I find useful. The D-Lux7 fit the bill in terms of specs. (For more "serious" landscape work I will use a Fujifilm X-T3 with different lenses, filters and tripod which will be carried by porters.)

While I have not yet had an opportunity to test the D-Lux7 for a trek (given the Covid monster), I have used it quite a bit during my morning walks/runs within the community that I live in. My initial impressions are very positive. While the D-Lux7 is a good sight bigger than my Sony RX100m3 which I also have, its usability is excellent compared to the Sony compact. I can easily see the D-Lux7 being the camera that will be slung round my neck all day during a trek, and be able to handle most of what is thrown at me photographically from a documentary perspective.

I am attaching some images that hopefully illustrate the picture quality that one can expect from this camera.

Good luck!

Mahesh

-- hide signature --

"My first thought is always of light" -- Galen Rowell

 purpwaltz's gear list:purpwaltz's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica Q Leica D-Lux 7 Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
Bob
OP Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,627
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

Thank you for that very helpful comment.   Specs aside, how does it feel in your hands?  Is it responsive?  Can you power on, focus, and shoot quickly enough to catch a unique moment?

Bob
OP Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,627
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

Thank you

Bob
OP Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,627
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

Thanks!  Nice pics.   Are they straight from the camera?

Also, how is the overall responsiveness?  That is, from power off to start up to snapping a photo?   Is the focus fast?

Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,257
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

Bob wrote:

The Leica D L 7 is intriguing. But it's hard to find real hands-on reviews - especially ones which compare it to its Panasonic counterpart. DPR doesn't have a full review of the Leica. Neither does Imaging-Resources.

Do any of you DPR members actually own one of these? What's your impression?

Why not pick up a used version, try it out and see how it suits you..  L

-- hide signature --

Trying Harder Than Ever ..

 Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more
calgarykev Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

Bob wrote:

The Leica D L 7 is intriguing. But it's hard to find real hands-on reviews - especially ones which compare it to its Panasonic counterpart. DPR doesn't have a full review of the Leica. Neither does Imaging-Resources.

Do any of you DPR members actually own one of these? What's your impression?

I use the D-Lux 109 (1 gen older) and I've shot Panasonic M4/3 for years.  A lot of people, including myself, are not crazy about Panasonic colors out of camera.  Truth is they are not wildly different from Leica but there is a difference.  I think they use a different color palette at the RAW level as they edit a little different.

Over time I got used to Panasonic colors but I find they didn't do well with bright colored hockey helmets in my photo's.  They protect the highlights too much and even exposed well to the right the highlights needed a push or even a bit of exposure added to take out the muddiness. Shooting flowers especially red, pink and orange I find my Panasonic's (particularly the GX8) over saturated and hard to edit.

But it really depends on what you shoot.  For outdoor fall scenes, my GX8 colors rendered some of the nicest pics I've made.  So it's subjective and you do need to find your own path.

I spent a little more on the D-Lux 109 because in general I prefer Leica's color palette (I used to shoot a D-Lux 5 too).  I find bright colors easier to edit than my Panasonic files.  I haven't shot an LX100 but I will say there is something Leica looking about the D-Lux files that I did't see in my Panasonic files, even with the Leica branded M4/3 lenses.  That said the D-Lux doesn't create files like my M-D rangefinder so even if it's more Leica than an LX100 it won't take you all the way to getting a Leica look.

 calgarykev's gear list:calgarykev's gear list
Olympus E-10
purpwaltz
purpwaltz Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

Bob wrote:

Thank you for that very helpful comment. Specs aside, how does it feel in your hands? Is it responsive? Can you power on, focus, and shoot quickly enough to catch a unique moment?

I love the feel of the camera. The fact that aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation and even form factor are available as dials/switches is a huge plus for me and my style of shooting. The EVF is excellent too. Probably the only thing I miss in the camera from a usability perspective is not having a tilt screen.

Power-on - it takes ~2 seconds from power on to being ready to trigger the shutter. So depending on your preference you may want to have the camera on at all times.

Focus - AF is quick and precise. Zooming with the zoom rocker seems a little sluggish, but not a deal-breaker, at least for me.

The camera also has a setting where it can "remember" the last used zoom setting prior to power off - this can be useful to some people.

Overall I am very pleased with the D-Lux7. It is pricey for sure, but I believe that you get a beautifully built camera that handles well.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mahesh

-- hide signature --

"My first thought is always of light" -- Galen Rowell

 purpwaltz's gear list:purpwaltz's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica Q Leica D-Lux 7 Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
Bob
OP Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,627
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

I think I will.  Good idea. Thanks.

Tom Joad New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

I have the Panasonic version of this camera and am highly impressed; I agree entirely with Mahesh's comments. I've taken it mountain hiking and although not weather sealed I think it solidly built.

You could rent the LX 100 II from Lensrentals, $43 for three days. That would introduce you to the chassis/controls at least.  I always rent first from Lensrentals before buying new gear and recommend the practice.

 Tom Joad's gear list:Tom Joad's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Nikon D850 +1 more
sprocket-docket Regular Member • Posts: 236
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.

purpwaltz wrote:

Bob wrote:

Thank you for that very helpful comment. Specs aside, how does it feel in your hands? Is it responsive? Can you power on, focus, and shoot quickly enough to catch a unique moment?

I love the feel of the camera. The fact that aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation and even form factor are available as dials/switches is a huge plus for me and my style of shooting. The EVF is excellent too. Probably the only thing I miss in the camera from a usability perspective is not having a tilt screen.

Power-on - it takes ~2 seconds from power on to being ready to trigger the shutter. So depending on your preference you may want to have the camera on at all times.

Focus - AF is quick and precise. Zooming with the zoom rocker seems a little sluggish, but not a deal-breaker, at least for me.

The camera also has a setting where it can "remember" the last used zoom setting prior to power off - this can be useful to some people.

Overall I am very pleased with the D-Lux7. It is pricey for sure, but I believe that you get a beautifully built camera that handles well.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mahesh

I'd like to know something about the operation and interface. For instance, are the RAWs still saved as DNG? Can you edit RAWs in-camera? Is there still the L Monochrome and L Monochrome D JPEG modes from the LX100ii?

I could see the advantage of getting the Leica version if the RAWs are DNG, since I still use LR6. But actually a big part of the draw of the most recent Panasonic bodies is their JPEG processing, it has gotten really excellent. Especially L Monochrome D.

 sprocket-docket's gear list:sprocket-docket's gear list
Ricoh GR III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Pentax KP +2 more
purpwaltz
purpwaltz Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Leica D-Lux 7 - scarcity of information.
1

sprocket-docket wrote:

purpwaltz wrote:

Bob wrote:

Thank you for that very helpful comment. Specs aside, how does it feel in your hands? Is it responsive? Can you power on, focus, and shoot quickly enough to catch a unique moment?

I love the feel of the camera. The fact that aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation and even form factor are available as dials/switches is a huge plus for me and my style of shooting. The EVF is excellent too. Probably the only thing I miss in the camera from a usability perspective is not having a tilt screen.

Power-on - it takes ~2 seconds from power on to being ready to trigger the shutter. So depending on your preference you may want to have the camera on at all times.

Focus - AF is quick and precise. Zooming with the zoom rocker seems a little sluggish, but not a deal-breaker, at least for me.

The camera also has a setting where it can "remember" the last used zoom setting prior to power off - this can be useful to some people.

Overall I am very pleased with the D-Lux7. It is pricey for sure, but I believe that you get a beautifully built camera that handles well.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mahesh

I'd like to know something about the operation and interface. For instance, are the RAWs still saved as DNG? Can you edit RAWs in-camera? Is there still the L Monochrome and L Monochrome D JPEG modes from the LX100ii?

The D-Lux 7 saves its RAW's as .RWL files, unlike the Leica Q and the M240 which create .DNG files. I don't know what the difference between these two formats is.

I see a Menu option called 'RAW Processing'. In this option, one can control the RAW->JPG via WB, Contrast, Brightness, Highlight, Shadow, Noise Reduction, Sharpness etc. I have not used this so cannot comment on how effective and/or good this is.

The Monochrome modes available for in-camera JPG conversion are as follows:

Monochrome

Monochrome HC

Monochrome HC+

The following are customisable for each mode:

Contrast, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, Color Tone, Filter Effect, Grain Effect

I usually shoot in RAW, so I have not tried any of these settings myself.

I could see the advantage of getting the Leica version if the RAWs are DNG, since I still use LR6. But actually a big part of the draw of the most recent Panasonic bodies is their JPEG processing, it has gotten really excellent. Especially L Monochrome D.

I use Lightroom Classic, which supports the RWL format.

Hope this helps.

Mahesh

-- hide signature --

"My first thought is always of light" -- Galen Rowell

 purpwaltz's gear list:purpwaltz's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica Q Leica D-Lux 7 Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads