What do you do with your photos?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
WiltshireMoonraker59
WiltshireMoonraker59 Forum Member • Posts: 81
Re: What do you do with your photos?

I must admit that I do post my photos on Instagram, I don't have that many followers but I am not bothered about that, I just like to show off the photos I am proud of and if people like them great, if not then that's ok too. I tried a few other sites to display my photos but got quite frustrated with the whole process. I am starting to buy a photobook once a month and fill it with my own favourite photos, just for my own pleasure really and for posterity, to pass on to my son.

WiltshireMoonraker59's gear list:WiltshireMoonraker59's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Pentax K-7 Olympus E-M1 II +3 more
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,142

I keep most on my hard drive, like you do. Back them up on an external hard drive.

I have a Sony digital photo frame that I hung on the wall and which I just love; it is filled with family pictures. It can cycle through almost an infinity of pictures, since the display is only 800x600. Don't get distracted by the specification though. It was the biggest and best one that I could afford at the time. It has a built-in clock and timer, so that I can program it to turn on and display only during certain times of the day. Sometimes, I'll stop while walking by and just watch it for a few minutes. This thread reminds me that I haven't put anything new on it for probably a year.

Lately, I've been sharing my photos (mostly family again) with the family in the form of prints. They can enjoy them for awhile and throw them out or maybe they will end up in a shoebox, reviewed by the younger members of the family 50 years from now. Either way is fine with me; I'm just happy people will be enjoying them.

For my own viewing pleasure, I have a plan. I got an HP printer and signed on for their Instant Ink program, so printing is pretty inexpensive now. I bought a bunch of archival binder sleeves of different sizes: 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10. I pay per page printed, not by size or type. (color, B&W, photo or print) So I can make 8x10s of my favorites and put them in a binder and just leave it out. I plan to just get one or two of those semi-rigid plastic ones. This is where I'm more likely to print some of my arty shots. When I'm done with them, I'll put them in a box or envelope and the family can enjoy them, decades from now. (or sooner, if COVID gets me!) If I'm really sick of them and no one is interested, I can throw them out. I'm sentimental though, and my daughter is too.

I'm going through a huge stack of family prints now, scanning them for posterity. It's nice to have prints, as not everyone will want to be bothered to properly keep them electronically and the prints can still be enjoyed without a projector or any kind of device.

By the way, this topic comes up from time to time. Last time it came up that I can remember, I thought to bookmark the thread, as there are some great ideas within: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63310042

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +33 more
Rob J
OP Rob J Contributing Member • Posts: 619
Re: What did you use to make this video?

JoeSchmoe007 wrote:

What did you use to make this video?

I used iMovie on a Mac. Thanks for watching.

Rob J

Vunite wrote:

Rob J wrote:

There is only so much wall space, so not many get hung for display.

You can consider the wallspace of other people. Some might like your photos? What's more satisfying, than someone else liking your work to a point they're willing to see it every day?

That is a valid point. In past years I have given prints to family members as gifts and may do so again for the holidays this year.

I had a friend ask if I sell prints but I have not gone down that road yet. When I calculate the costs involved to produce an archival quality print and build in a small profit margin, it generally comes out to more than some (most) people are willing to pay.

Rob J

By the way, this topic comes up from time to time. Last time it came up that I can remember, I thought to bookmark the thread, as there are some great ideas within: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63310042

Thanks for the link to that previous thread. I had not seen that and will read through it with interest.

Deniz Turkmen Junior Member • Posts: 44
  • Put them on imagekind or fine art america maybe you can sell a print or two
  • Check the online competitions at photocontestdeadlines.com
  • Rotate them on smart displays. We use Google Photos + Nest Hub and Chromecast and it reminds us all the good memories
  • Another benefit of Google Photos is the reminder sent by the app "x years ago today" on our devices. 
  • After few canvas prints you might have  realized there is not enough wall space so print bunch of 4x6 and hang them with collage frames that take 8-12 photos. They use the same amount of wall space as one big print.
  • Dig up some of your old raw photos, and edit them again with the latest knowledge and the software you have. The result might be very different than your first edit.
-- hide signature --

Shoot first, ask questions later.

Deniz Turkmen's gear list:Deniz Turkmen's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D5500 Sony a7R II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Sony 28mm F2.8 +4 more
nhr5005 New Member • Posts: 16

I like the ideas on this thread on photo frames. I have a small one that rarely gets used, it's also a 4:3 image ratio, horizontal only (most of my photos are 3:2). Perhaps a larger wall-mounted frame could be a cool way to display photos, or maybe several next to each other synced to display wider photos/panos? Hmm, ideas flowing here...

Photo books each year are a good idea too but maybe a bit more work?

nhr5005's gear list:nhr5005's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,142

nhr5005 wrote:

I like the ideas on this thread on photo frames. I have a small one that rarely gets used, it's also a 4:3 image ratio, horizontal only (most of my photos are 3:2). Perhaps a larger wall-mounted frame could be a cool way to display photos, or maybe several next to each other synced to display wider photos/panos? Hmm, ideas flowing here...

I'm surprised there isn't a bigger variety of larger, high quality photo frames these days. Gonna have to see what B&H has. Something like a 5x7 frame with decent resolution would be good...

Photo books each year are a good idea too but maybe a bit more work?

They're more work, but are appreciated by the family and easy to store.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +33 more
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 5,909

Not much. I have tons of slides from the 1970s and 80s, and I've been using my camera with slide copy adapter to digitize the best of them. All my newer digital photos reside on my special photo computer. One partially good solution was that a couple of years ago I set up a Flickr account and put family photos in particular up on Flickr in privately viewable albums for my kids and other family to see, and then I have boxes of various prints etc. from the last 40 years. Nothing much to do with any of them except occasionally grab something to look at. I long ago gave up on the idea of putting them into albums. As for my newer photos, I don't show them to anyone, really, and just put up a few of them on my public Flickr page. They're just for me, for my own enjoyment. I've finally got time to indulge in photography as a hobby, and no darkroom needed!

As with my photographer father, I found that photos can get out of control over the years. If you're not a professional or trying to show them publicly, which I am not, it can be an almost overwhelming task to organize everything efficiently. Now I know exactly why my father didn't do all that much with his vast colliection of negatives, slides, prints etc. He had his professional work, but as with me, his family photos got out of hand eventually.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon D500 Canon G7 X II Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D700 +17 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,085

The majority of mine are never seen by anyone and that's fine - a lot of them are simply things I enjoyed photographing but nobody else needs to see. A lot of the enjoyment of the hobby for me is just getting out, finding new places, looking for things to photograph.

Some of them end up on my Facebook page for my little collection of family and friends.

Others end up one of my two Instagram accounts (one is focused on small things I see around me - patterns, colourful rust and interesting peeling paint, that kind of thing - something I started during lockdown when I was confined for a couple of months to within a 5 kilometre radius from home in the suburbs); the other is a bit more random.

I have also found a new display medium in Zoom/Teams backgrounds - there is a bit of a trick to finding images with the right composition when your body takes up the centre of the screen - classic rule of thirds composition typically works best).

Aside from that, the odd one ends up here on DPR, in challenges or forum posts.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
nhr5005 New Member • Posts: 16

My photo frame is probably ~5x7 or a little smaller. I was thinking more like 20x30! It seems a few of these do exist, but not sure if you can get them to play together. I think to do that, you're stepping into commercial "video wall" display monitors.

nhr5005's gear list:nhr5005's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more
Caroline Liebenow
Caroline Liebenow Junior Member • Posts: 30

I publish some of my favorites on Zazzle products.

WillF Regular Member • Posts: 335

Caroline Liebenow wrote:

"publish"  for resale?

-Will

Caroline Liebenow

WillF wrote:

Caroline Liebenow wrote:

"publish" for resale?

-Will

Yes. I wouldn't really call it "resale" though, because that suggests that something has been bought by someone and sold onward to someone else. With POD publishers, the products are often bought new directly by the customer.

WillF Regular Member • Posts: 335

Yes, I'm just verrry tired.  Thanks for answering my question despite that.

-Will

Caroline Liebenow

WillF wrote:

Yes, I'm just verrry tired.

Welcome to the club 😕

BadExample Regular Member • Posts: 169

Smaug01 wrote:

I keep most on my hard drive, like you do. Back them up on an external hard drive.

I have a Sony digital photo frame that I hung on the wall and which I just love; it is filled with family pictures. It can cycle through almost an infinity of pictures, since the display is only 800x600. Don't get distracted by the specification though. It was the biggest and best one that I could afford at the time. It has a built-in clock and timer, so that I can program it to turn on and display only during certain times of the day. Sometimes, I'll stop while walking by and just watch it for a few minutes. This thread reminds me that I haven't put anything new on it for probably a year.

Lately, I've been sharing my photos (mostly family again) with the family in the form of prints. They can enjoy them for awhile and throw them out or maybe they will end up in a shoebox, reviewed by the younger members of the family 50 years from now. Either way is fine with me; I'm just happy people will be enjoying them.

For my own viewing pleasure, I have a plan. I got an HP printer and signed on for their Instant Ink program, so printing is pretty inexpensive now. I bought a bunch of archival binder sleeves of different sizes: 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10. I pay per page printed, not by size or type. (color, B&W, photo or print) So I can make 8x10s of my favorites and put them in a binder and just leave it out. I plan to just get one or two of those semi-rigid plastic ones. This is where I'm more likely to print some of my arty shots. When I'm done with them, I'll put them in a box or envelope and the family can enjoy them, decades from now. (or sooner, if COVID gets me!) If I'm really sick of them and no one is interested, I can throw them out. I'm sentimental though, and my daughter is too.

I'm going through a huge stack of family prints now, scanning them for posterity. It's nice to have prints, as not everyone will want to be bothered to properly keep them electronically and the prints can still be enjoyed without a projector or any kind of device.

Dear Jeremy, sir, don’t underestimate the value of your photos! I have no doubt your daughter will one day cherish them, as I do the family photographs I have been blessed with.

Papa48
Papa48 Senior Member • Posts: 3,009

I share to Flickr groups and Instagram. I understand your reticence to do that, but it takes them to a lot more people.  It’s international, and I’ve been enriched by the exchanges. I used to exhibit and sell prints. Eight years ago I sold all remaining mounted prints at fire sale prices during an art fair. That cleaned out the basement, except for one small trunk of family photos. Our daughter will be somewhat interested in those. I keep digital images under 20,000 through constant culling. After my demise they will likely expire on iCloud.

Papa48's gear list:Papa48's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Thomas166
Thomas166 Regular Member • Posts: 417

Last time I checked I had about 30,000 photos and out of that probably about 10 good ones! I have some on my hard drive that I look at all the time. Then I have them on two external hard drives and also use Flickr. I printed out some wildlife photos to hang in my den. The family event photos I put on facebook and instagram. I have entered some on them in contest and some were featured on our local news channels. But like some had mention, once I'm gone to that photo booth in the sky I'm sure the photos will be too.

Thomas166's gear list:Thomas166's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D5500 Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Kgluong Regular Member • Posts: 327

Rob J wrote:

Over the many years that I have been behind a camera lens I've accumulated a fairly large portfolio of what I consider to be good photographs. Mostly they just sit gathering dust on my hard drives. Occasionally I'll print one but it's no good having a pile of prints lying around. There is only so much wall space, so not many get hung for display.

I used to enter photos in gallery shows and have had several in past shows, but galleries are not open for public shows much these days. Hopefully that will return soon. I miss art galleries, not only for showing but also for seeing work by other artists and photographers in a gallery setting.

I don't do Instagram or any of the social media sites, for a variety of reasons. I DO have photos on YouTube as well as having a personal website but other than that, no one sees my photos. It sometimes feels pointless but the drive to continue to shoot is still strong and I think I'll always be a photographer whether others see my work or not.

What about you? What do YOU do with your photos?

My latest YouTube "gallery".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGDVzFWh5Dk

I put all my post pictures on my plex server. sometimes print the pictures in a photobook.

Download plex (free).

https://www.plex.tv/

Install it in your computer.

Tell where your photos are located on your Hard Drive.

Download plex client on you tv (roku, fire stick, etc) and other devices (smartphone, tablet, etc).

You can use web browsers to view your media too.

https://youtu.be/j2n4Q868_ig

Or/And

Photobooks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads