New Sony A7R IV faulty SteadyShot?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
R2TR New Member • Posts: 4
New Sony A7R IV faulty SteadyShot?

I've just received my Sony A7R IV, 28-105 and 100-400 G lenses and I need to check if something is user error or camera error.

Both lenses when connected won't allow the SteadyShot to be turned on from the function menu in the camera, its displays the error

Invalid with this lese. If the lens has a switch, perform the operation from the lens.

FYI the camera is updated to the latest firmware (1.2)

Appreciate any help

Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peter Foiles
Peter Foiles Senior Member • Posts: 1,981
Re: New Sony A7R IV faulty SteadyShot?

I assume you mean the Sony FE 24-105. As to steadyshot, for Sony if there is a switch on the lens that is what controls the function. Both the lenses you have, have such a switch and as I recall it is off when new from the factory. So, just read and believe what the error message is telling you. To turn steadyshot on/off you MUST use the switch on the lens. There is nothing wrong with your equipment, it is functioning as Sony designed it.

Peter Foiles's gear list:Peter Foiles's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Olympus E-M5 III Sony a7C +14 more
OP R2TR New Member • Posts: 4
  • Tv Peter Foiles wrote:

I assume you mean the Sony FE 24-105. As to steadyshot, for Sony if there is a switch on the lens that is what controls the function. Both the lenses you have, have such a switch and as I recall it is off when new from the factory. So, just read and believe what the error message is telling you. To turn steadyshot on/off you MUST use the switch on the lens. There is nothing wrong with your equipment, it is functioning as Sony designed it.

Peter, correct lens, they were switched on from the factory but I have tried every position with the same error.

SigZero
SigZero Regular Member • Posts: 495

R2TR wrote:

• Tv Peter Foiles wrote:

Peter, correct lens, they were switched on from the factory but I have tried every position with the same error.

That is correct.

When you have a lens attached with OSS witch - it's the only way od enabling/disabling OSS function (both in body and lens). The software switch in body will not work and always show error with such lens.

Br, PaweĊ‚.

-- hide signature --

My photo-blog: http://pawel.online

SigZero's gear list:SigZero's gear list
Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony a7R IV Apple iPhone 11 Pro

Thank you, I thought I'd read the in 5aixs in body and lens stabilisation work together, but in this case it's all done in lens and when I purchase another lens without OSS it'll be done in body.

Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 7,241

R2TR wrote:

Thank you, I thought I'd read the in 5aixs in body and lens stabilisation work together, but in this case it's all done in lens and when I purchase another lens without OSS it'll be done in body.

When using lenses without built in image stablilization the camera body has to do all the hard work stabilizing the image.

When using OSS lenses, OSS and IBIS work in tandem.

If the lens has an on off OSS switch that will affect OSS and IBIS (both on or off).

Find that particular lens button very handy. On for general use and off when on tripod.

Definitely user error/misunderstanding, thanks for the help everyone.

MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

What do ya know... I learned something too!

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads