Remote shutter trigger for A7RII/A7RM2: RMT-DSLR1 do not work, RMT-DSLR2: only supports M2/M3

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
mateo goodman
mateo goodman Regular Member • Posts: 436
Remote shutter trigger for A7RII/A7RM2: RMT-DSLR1 do not work, RMT-DSLR2: only supports M2/M3

RMT-DSLR1 do not work with newer cameras!

This old remote I've been using do not work with the A7RM2. There is a newer RMT-DSLR2 that's exactly the same as the older one; it only works with M2/M3 but not M4! And is not backward compatible with older A7RM1.

Is Sony purposely obsolete IR remote trigger every two camera gen? It's so wasteful. Sony should make the IR remote programable and can be updated to support newer cameras!

I know I can use the phone app to remotely trigger the A7RM2. But I prefer to have a dedicated remote trigger. Are there better option than the RMT-DSLR2? Maybe one that will not obsolete very soon?

mateo goodman's gear list:mateo goodman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 18,014
Re: Remote shutter trigger for A7RII/A7RM2: RMT-DSLR1 do not work, RMT-DSLR2: only supports M2/M3

I use the radio remote built into the neewer battery grip, works a treat.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

Qqphot Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Remote shutter trigger for A7RII/A7RM2: RMT-DSLR1 do not work, RMT-DSLR2: only supports M2/M3

I have never had any of those IR remotes work at all despite lots of trying and making sure everything was enabled on the camera etc. I usually use the remote that comes with the neewer battery grips, or else a cable I built myself, or if nothing else the phone app, though it's slow and clunky.

mateo goodman
OP mateo goodman Regular Member • Posts: 436

So I was wrong: the old RMT-DSLR1 remote works with the A7RM2. I just forgot to set "Remote Control" setting to "On". I totally forgot about this setting.

As far as I can tell, the IR shutter function work the same for both RMT-DLSR1 and the newer RMT-DSLR2.

So Sony is not changing anything on newer camera bodies as far as IR remote is concern.

mateo goodman's gear list:mateo goodman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads