Debi and ´sunrise´... 50/1 + 16/1.4

Started 3 months ago | Photos
mike lix Senior Member • Posts: 1,286
Debi and ´sunrise´... 50/1 + 16/1.4

Hi,

I wanted to explore a ´sunrise location´ more thoroughly, I was looking for the first rays of sun cutting through the morning haze which I love. So we arrived even earlier, only to find out there won´t be any sunrise at all, everything was dark, grey, dull and wet.

So I told myself ´what the heck, let´s go for some moody look´ and tried to utilize the available light. With f/1 and f/1.4 lenses it wasn´t a difficult task.

I hope you like some shots even though any light is basically missing.

mike

-- hide signature --

www.instagram.com/michal.placek.fotograf
www.facebook.com/michal.placek.fotograf
500px.com/mikepl500px

mike lix's gear list:mike lix's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +3 more
boogisha
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 2,148
Re: Debi and ´sunrise´... 50/1 + 16/1.4

Damn that 50mm f/1, and the way you utilize it...

Beautiful.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +12 more
TheWhiteDog Contributing Member • Posts: 546

Great shots. Shows what a good photographer can do in less than optimal conditions. Excellent color too, did you custom white balance or adjust in post?

As I remarked on an earlier post of yours; the more you post these photos, the longer the wait will be for those who wish to order the 50mm f1 lens! But keep on posting these great photos anyway!

TheWhiteDog's gear list:TheWhiteDog's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +9 more
OP mike lix Senior Member • Posts: 1,286

boogisha wrote:

Damn that 50mm f/1, and the way you utilize it...

Beautiful.

Thank you! Images from the 50/1 have certain appeal that I can´t precisely describe, but I simply like it, just like a well flavoured sauce.

-- hide signature --

500px.com/mikepl500px

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +3 more

TheWhiteDog wrote:

Great shots. Shows what a good photographer can do in less than optimal conditions. Excellent color too, did you custom white balance or adjust in post?

As I remarked on an earlier post of yours; the more you post these photos, the longer the wait will be for those who wish to order the 50mm f1 lens! But keep on posting these great photos anyway!

Thank you! The gloomy light helped a bit, I only emphasized it a bit in post. My editing isn´t overly extensive, I want it to stay subtle, but I always try to underline the light mood I´ve captured.

Outside I mostly use Cloudy WB (it works best to match the actual colour of light), then in post I did some slight colour grading, like I always do.

-- hide signature --

500px.com/mikepl500px

boogisha
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 2,148

mike lix wrote:

Thank you! Images from the 50/1 have certain appeal that I can´t precisely describe, but I simply like it, just like a well flavoured sauce.

I`m sure it`s well related to both the way you shoot and process your images, but the bokeh you get out of this lens is unbelievable - it just melts away, I don`t remember seeing any harsh stuff so far, no matter the background. And yet, focus is sharp 

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +12 more
SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 13,163

Another beautiful set, Mike.

Just looking at these shots really doesn't say 'sunrise', but nevertheless it is wonderfully even light and deserving of a very fast lens. Great light for a wedding shoot too!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Vitée
Capture all the light and colour!
http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +36 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,717

Very nice set!

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 4,977

very nice and beautiful photos.  I wonder how that lens would perform on my X-T1.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more

boogisha wrote:

mike lix wrote:

I`m sure it`s well related to both the way you shoot and process your images, but the bokeh you get out of this lens is unbelievable - it just melts away, I don`t remember seeing any harsh stuff so far, no matter the background. And yet, focus is sharp

Yes, it´s sharp where it should be and smooth where it should not distract. There are no double lines in the foreground, nor any unexpected unpleasant surprises. Fuji really balanced its performance splendidly for the intended purpose.

-- hide signature --

500px.com/mikepl500px

SigmaChrome wrote:

Another beautiful set, Mike.

Just looking at these shots really doesn't say 'sunrise', but nevertheless it is wonderfully even light and deserving of a very fast lens. Great light for a wedding shoot too!

Thank you!  Yes, the impervious clouds and morning haze really provided quite a lot of mood, still the fast lenses are very handy in such a situation, the light was completely even but there was not much of it.   And where one can shoot at f/1, 1/125s and ISO 200 with the 50/1, it would be necessary to shoot at f/2, 1/250s and ISO 1600 with the otherwise great 90/2. Being very well used to the 90/2, I´m still amazed how low the ISO in my pictures is with this new 50.

-- hide signature --

500px.com/mikepl500px

MrSee wrote:

Very nice set!

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

500px.com/mikepl500px

Batdude wrote:

very nice and beautiful photos. I wonder how that lens would perform on my X-T1.

Thank you!

I don´t have an experience with X-T1, but I just bought an X-T3 (incl. the new FW) and in comparison with the X-T2 the difference in AF is definitely noticeable, but not night and day. In bad light the difference is more significant of course. But then I am used to using the smallest AF point which is a real stress test of any camera, especially focusing on dark places (black dog´s eyes etc.) in bad light (evening at home) I´d call it an AF torture where even the X-T3 sometimes struggle.   If one wants to significantly improve the performance, even the second smallest AF point helpsa lot.

-- hide signature --

500px.com/mikepl500px

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads