* The Weekly Image Thread 20 11 30 #504 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos
Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 8,591
Re: Still Awake

Palin0_0 wrote:

Nice this one with the stars, maybe using a graduated filter you can take a starry night with that beautiful pond

Thanks, Roy.  I will have to give that a try.

What I need is a clear moonless night.  That will bring out the stars.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more
EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 3,232
Re: Mallards and Merganser

No, Roy. The lens has its own IS and a switch to turn it on and off. It doesn't work like Sync IS does with the 12-100, not that well. It might add something to body IS. I don't remember what OLY said about that. You can probably find the announcement on DPreview or in an independent review on the internet.

I don't know if it's better to use lens IS with an IS body or not. Maybe it turns body IS off. I used it Sunday. You can see the results.

Another thing I like about this lens is it has a lens lock switch. This is great when you carry it nose down. No lens creep.

The zoom is much easier and smoother than the Panasonic 100-400 somebody had at the lake Sunday. He doesn't like the tight zoom ring on the Panny. Its probably to prevent lens creep.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +8 more
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 38,881

I like the first Craig.  It appeals to me more than the portrait view.  I am not sure that says anything about the images as I find the landscape orientations fill the monitor more so than the portrait orientation and the details are also larger in that view.  I think one of those rotating monitors would be a good thing to have for viewing portrait format images.

The sky looks very dark at the time you took the moon image even though it was much later, about the time it is starting to get light here.

Andrew

EZGritz

I would not have attempted the Merganser shots with the 40-150PRO and the MC20. The birds are too small and too far away, probably 50 yards. I'm amazed at the feather detail and sharpness. I didn't think this was possible.

This range opens up a lot more possibilities for bird photos I can take with this lens. I'm starting to think I have to have this it.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +8 more
Craig from Nevada

19andrew47 wrote:

I like the first Craig. It appeals to me more than the portrait view. I am not sure that says anything about the images as I find the landscape orientations fill the monitor more so than the portrait orientation and the details are also larger in that view. I think one of those rotating monitors would be a good thing to have for viewing portrait format images.

The sky looks very dark at the time you took the moon image even though it was much later, about the time it is starting to get light here.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew.

About the dark, it was getting light here when I captured the image.  The moon is very bright this week, so bright that I can't see the detail of the seas and highlands with my eye--So low ISO and a fast shutter speed to control the light.  The result, as you know, is a dark sky.  There was a little haze in the sky and that impacts the sharpness of the moon--not a great image.

Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more
Hike Pics
Hike Pics Senior Member • Posts: 2,057
Re: San Juan, Puerto Rico: same trip

Beautiful images from a beautiful, colorful place. Those streets seem like they would cause a few accidents. It also looks fairly quiet as well.

The name San Juan causes me problems sometimes. There are so many San Juan places on the globe. Most are South America but can really be other regions. I have a friend who told me she was born in San Juan. I need her to point to it on an atlas. She might be talking about San Juan, Texas!

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Hike Pics's gear list:Hike Pics's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot Pro1 Fujifilm FinePix E900 Zoom Kodak EasyShare P712 +18 more
Hike Pics
Re: Flint River Trail – Part 2 Tupelo

That's a great part 2 story. Very nice photos, the "bog" photo being my favorite. I have always enjoyed the wetlands of the southeast. As an old biology major they spark my interest in wildlife and ecology. Thanks for taking us along on this walk!

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot Pro1 Fujifilm FinePix E900 Zoom Kodak EasyShare P712 +18 more
Hike Pics
Re: "Test and Wow" 100-400

That is one heck of a lens with that focal length. I wouldn't mind to demo it sometime. But like you said, I wouldn't use it a whole lot compared to my other lenses. But you have some great looking shots here, the sharpness and detail are fine in my book.

It's interesting you mentioned/photographed an osprey platform. I have noticed something that looks a lot like that at the lake nearby but didn't know what it might be. I did see a crane-ish looking bird on it once. The camera I had with me didn't have enough lens to photograph it.

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Hike Pics
Re: More 100-400

I love the Kingfisher shots. They are most elusive birds I have ever tried to photograph. Around here a lens like yours would be mandatory. I tried with a Kodak Z990 (28-840mm) and had trouble, mostly because the bird kept messing with me. It kept jumping around and flying from one tree to the next, often times crisscrossing my location. It sure was a loud little thing, though.

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Hike Pics
Re: Dust bath

Yard birds can be pretty funny to watch. I guess a dust bath helps to get the bugs off them.

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Hike Pics
Re: More and More 100-400 Lens Photos.

Maybe it's working on its aquatic dance routine. Maybe you'll get a show later on.

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Hike Pics
Re: Can't Sleep

I like the moonlight in this shot. But it looks like it is really cold there. I bet you can see some amazing meteor showers there sometimes.

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Hike Pics
Re: donkey derby

Awesome photos, love the subjects and colors. Although I don't have one, I really like donkeys a lot. I find that they are more likely to pose for photos than horses. Plus they are are just cool critters. I like the hairy cow, too, but wouldn't want to get on his bad side.

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Hike Pics

That lens is awesome for the reach. It would be nice to see some Mergansers around here, instead of the usual Coots, Honkers and Swans. We did get several Buffleheads last year but I haven't seen them in a while. Same thing with Cormorants. Occasionally a storm off the coast will blow them over here.

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Hike Pics

Very nice. I like the warmth on the grass on the left side.

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Hike Pics
My Last Few For A While

I have several cameras from other makes that I keep in rotation. Basically I run through a battery with them and then on to the next camera. The EVOLT battery is about done so I will be grabbing a different camera. It has been super hanging out with you all. I'm sure I will drop in from time to time and see what goodies you have captured. I'll join back later on when it's EVOLT time again!

Be safe, well and have a super great holiday season (if applicable).

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

EZGritz
Re: San Juan, Puerto Rico: same trip

Don't forget San Juan Island, Washington State.

EZGritz

I'm slowly talking myself into this lens. The reach is amazing. The build quality seems to be excellent, it's so light and compact for the FL. I'm very surprised the lens produces feather detail with a 2XTC on it, wide-open aperture at 50-75 yards at f/13. It offers photographic opportunities for birds I don't have without the reach.

Craig from Nevada
Re: My Last Few For A While

A series of images. What beautiful waters. I like the second image best.

BTW--you can post images on this thread from any camera.  Don't be a stranger.

Hike Pics wrote:

I have several cameras from other makes that I keep in rotation. Basically I run through a battery with them and then on to the next camera. The EVOLT battery is about done so I will be grabbing a different camera. It has been super hanging out with you all. I'm sure I will drop in from time to time and see what goodies you have captured. I'll join back later on when it's EVOLT time again!

Be safe, well and have a super great holiday season (if applicable).

Craig from Nevada

Hike Pics wrote:

Very nice. I like the warmth on the grass on the left side.

Thanks.  I am not sure what the grass is--something related to the golf course, but it does have a glow.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads