* The Weekly Image Thread 20 11 30 #504 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 2,414
Re: Can't Sleep

You are really nailing these 'blue hour' shots, craig

Craig from Nevada wrote:

Made a picture. Would have been better but for the pesky moonlight.

Some ice on the pond.

Rise and shine everyone.

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +10 more
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 2,414
donkey derby

well i am happy to report the donkeys were out in force today. as was the rain and the wind. 10km and i am muddy, wet, cold and tired...but of course elated with the whole donkey thing

pano

double donkey

top & tail

for the sauce ?

catching the sun

the last oak

woodland pump

hairy cow

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +10 more
Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 8,591

Thanks.  There are so many misses with these shots.  The focus is tough.  There is a cell tower that was removed in post processing and I focus on that light.

It is all trial and error with the ISO and shutter speed.

Hopefully, I will get a clear dark night soon.  You can't believe all the stars in the sky at night out here.

softmarmotte wrote:

You are really nailing these 'blue hour' shots, craig

Craig from Nevada wrote:

Made a picture. Would have been better but for the pesky moonlight.

Some ice on the pond.

Rise and shine everyone.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more
Craig from Nevada
Re: donkey derby

A double donkey with fall colours and centered between fence posts!  Wow.

Nice pano--at least the field is green everything else is gray.

softmarmotte wrote:

well i am happy to report the donkeys were out in force today. as was the rain and the wind. 10km and i am muddy, wet, cold and tired...but of course elated with the whole donkey thing

pano

double donkey

top & tail

for the sauce ?

catching the sun

the last oak

woodland pump

hairy cow

Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 38,881

A fine set.  Too bad about the weather but the images are all well done.  I like the wide view in the pano and the donkeys and long haired 'cow'.

Andrew

EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 3,232

Looks pretty nice to me!

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +8 more
EZGritz

What is that hairy beast?

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +8 more
Craig from Nevada

EZGritz wrote:

Looks pretty nice to me!

Thanks.  The moonlight cheated us out of some stars.  Nothing finer than a moonless night on a clear night out here.

EZGritz
Mallards and Merganser

One of the things I see in these is one shot at ISO3200 as an experiment. Looks pretty darn good to me and the duck was in the shade. The Merganser is a small bird and pretty far away. I don't think I would have tried this photo with the 40-150PRO. I would have had to crop it too much. It might have worked but I would have shot birds closer. Some birds in this location never come close enough. They stay farther from shore like the Merganser. This is one of the things I learned Sunday. I would not have attempted to shoot the Merganser with the 40-150PRO and the MC20. I would have thought the bird was too far. But here it is with the 100-400 and the MC20 at 1,600mm f/14 and I like the images. And from the mallard image I can use ISO3200. This presents possibilities for images I can't get with a shorter lens. The 100-400 has 2.66X more reach. Even though the images I took with it cannot be cropped much it doesn't matter when the subject nearly fills the frame without cropping. The same shot with the 40-150PRO might look as good cropped more or it might not. It will be lower resolution. There is a big gap between the two lenses that can be filled buy the 75-300 but it isn't a PRO quality lens and not up to the 100-400 either IMO. The gap can be filled by the 100-400 without the MC20. Looking at these and more images I will post is making me think I need the 100-400 for subjects like the Merganser when I need the reach.

19andrew47
Re: San Juan, Puerto Rico: same trip

Thanks WN.  In most instances I still like verticals to be so.  Sometimes though it just does not seem right.

Andrew

19andrew47

I like the natural ones you showed from Antigua Roy.  They looked as they should.  The ones I took here are pretty much designed for the tourist crowd I suspect.  Lovely to see but....

Andrew

19andrew47

Thanks Harvey.  The issue with a cruise is that you never really get to see what a place is really like.  On the other hand if you take a few you might get some ideas of places you might wish to spend some time.

Andrew

EZGritz

You can still see some stars. Wish I had a spot like that near me. I"m too close to city lights anyway but I love the moon when it comes up over water.

Palin0_0
Palin0_0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,763

What a nice work Craig, wonder if you go to bed thinking of what to do next morning........

-- hide signature --

The Best Camera is the one that you have on your Hands.

Palin0_0's gear list:Palin0_0's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +19 more
Palin0_0

Hmmmm you made me think what type of hat should I wear,   The heir of the last ones Is kind of when I see my son, not sure if he is going to bed or just out of it.....lol...

-- hide signature --

Palin0_0
Re: Mallards and Merganser

Ez, the lens work as the 12-100 with dual stabilization ?

-- hide signature --

Craig from Nevada

Palin0_0 wrote:

What a nice work Craig, wonder if you go to bed thinking of what to do next morning........

Thanks, Roy.

I go to bed very early and rise early.   Today, I woke up very very early today by even my standards.

I have to say I enjoy going out with the camera and tripod early.

Craig from Nevada
Still Awake

Two from my early morning wanderings.....

This is the same view as before--landscape perspective.  The ISO is a tad higher bringing out a few more stars.    Some reflections on the ice covered pond.

The bright moon some time after the image above was captured.

Palin0_0
Re: Still Awake

Nice this one with the stars, maybe using a graduated filter you can take a starry night with that beautiful pond

-- hide signature --

Palin0_0
Re: Mallards and Merganser

Great shots......

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads