* The Weekly Image Thread 20 11 30 #504 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos
Palin0_0
Palin0_0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,744
Re: "Test and Wow" 100-400

So it goes down to you wanted and have the money ....but specially if you are you going to use it.......I look in eBay for 100-400 pany-Leica was 750 us but did not bite, for the same reason, not going to use that much.....

-- hide signature --

The Best Camera is the one that you have on your Hands.

Palin0_0's gear list:Palin0_0's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +19 more
WhyNot
WhyNot Forum Pro • Posts: 10,069

With BIF with the EVF I often have a hard enough time finding the bird with a 300mm lens, again too little practice. …. My problem with aperture is that where I live as it warms up I'm shooting mostly in open to deep shade where f/13 is a disadvantage and I find the sharpness with these long lenses, at my age, is directly proportional to shutter speed even with stabilization, of whatever nature, other than tripod, so I like to be at 1/800 or faster most of the time but can rarely get there in any shade with decent DOF. ... Strangely, I usually keep my ISO during the day at 1600 and below whereas at night I have no problem shooting a 6400 and sometimes above. ... BTW I still have that 70-300 which is mostly retired but it is as good as the P100-300 on the M1 but is bigger and heavier .. OTOH it does focus very close and in that way is extremely versatile .. so I occasionally take it out of retirement ...

WhyNot

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 38,843
Re: Flint River Trail – Part 2 Tupelo

Nice to see WN.  We do not have trees like those here, at least not to my knowledge.  Awards for trees, nope, nothing much else either to the best of my knowledge.

Andrew

Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 12,952
Of San Juan and salty Canadian Mooses

It's a beautiful old city, Andrew. Your photography is typically excellent and I like the PP and the way you enhanced the skies. Nice work.

BTW, you mentioned the salt may be damaging your rims and it took a day or so but it tickled something in my memory about Canadians and salt.

If you haven't read this yet, enjoy and keep well. Rich

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/22/americas/canada-warns-moose-lick-cars-trnd/index.html

EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 3,219

For motorsports sometimes I'm shooting at the end of the day when I lose the light if the sun drops below a hill or mountain. At that time f/6.7 is on the edge. It produces a marginal image that doesn't look great cropped. I like to shoot 1/500 with ISO800 or better for this at f/6.7. In the past when I went to ISO1250 or 1600 I did not like the results. That's the reason I bought the 40-150PRO. Even at f/5.6 it's a little better. I can work a strategy to be where I have the light at the end of day. That works for the 75-300 or 100-300 too but it isn't a perfect world. I might find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Would not be the first time.

I needed a margin of error. At the time I was shooting the 16MP sensor. The 20MP sensor is much better are higher ISO and doesn't need to be cropped as much. It might work with the 100-300 Panny or the 75-300 OLY but they aren't great lenses in other ways and I'd need to swap bodies or lenses more. 40mm on the short end is handy. It's perfect for the road race track. I can get away with a one-lens solution at the road race track with the 40-150PRO if I want to. I can use the 12-45 or a prime in the pits. It won't work for every corner or straight but it will work for enough of them.

Motorsports is much less demanding than birds especially if you have media credentials and can get close in most photography locations. The targets are bigger, they move more predictably and you aren't capturing feather detail, just action. Bird photography is much more demanding.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +8 more
EZGritz
More 100-400

This platform is about 150 yards out, way past the osprey pole.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +8 more
Palin0_0
Palin0_0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,744
Re: More 100-400

Definitely is something you need to master, having say that, you are in the right track,

-- hide signature --

The Best Camera is the one that you have on your Hands.

Palin0_0's gear list:Palin0_0's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +19 more
19andrew47
Re: Of San Juan and salty Canadian Mooses

I have seen that article Rich. It appeared on my phone news a while back.   A moose is not something you want to run into with your car.

Thanks for the kind comments. I just got up. Unable to sleep. Some libation would go well now. Think I will see what is in the fridge, but I am somewhat pessimistic of what I will find.

Andrew

19andrew47

Trumpeter swans or tundra swans?

Andrew

Olyinaz Veteran Member • Posts: 8,188
Dust bath

Chickens love a good dust bath.  It's considered a community activity and they'll rub on each other and generally have a pretty good time of it.  Sometimes I join in the fun. 

Oly

Olyinaz's gear list:Olyinaz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS 77D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +12 more
EZGritz

Trumpeter swans

EZGritz
Re: Dust bath

That looks like fun! How's it work with allergies?

EZGritz
More and More 100-400 Lens Photos.

In for a landing

Take off

Bird bath. If I knew the bird was going to do this I would have cranked up the ISO and shutter speed. Is this some sort of duck dance? Not the waddle. I know that one.

Olyinaz Veteran Member • Posts: 8,188

Fun stuff and it’s great to see this lens working well. This is a lens that Olympus should’ve had available three years ago given the strengths of this system. It’s a much more reasonably sized lens than the 150-600 mm Sigma, and I suspect it’s going to work really well for most people.

Thanks for posting!

Oly

Olyinaz's gear list:Olyinaz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS 77D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +12 more
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 2,393

Thanks for the posts on this one. Looks like i will be getting this one when it becomes available.looks to have good reach

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +10 more
Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 8,585

That is funny.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more
Craig from Nevada
Can't Sleep

Made a picture. Would have been better but for the pesky moonlight.

Some ice on the pond.

Rise and shine everyone.

Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more
19andrew47
Re: Can't Sleep

Is that in the dark Craig?  If so it turned out quite bright, the moonlight I presume.

It rained almost all day here yesterday.  Around early evening it turned to snow.  This morning we have about six inches in some places but the ground was still warm so less in others.  The temperature now is at the freezing point and the snow is still falling.  If I had gotten up to take an image in the dark (it was dark when I rose at 6:50 local time) it would have been white!  The snow is expected to continue until sometime tomorrow if the predictions stand.  I got the blower mounted on the tractor and the chains installed.  I ready.  Well not really but I can if I have to!

Andrew

19andrew47

I want to see the pictures of you taking a dust bath with the chickens Oly!  Likely not what you meant but never the less what came to mind!

Andrew

Craig from Nevada
Re: Can't Sleep

Yup.  The time on the EXIF data is 4.22AM and that is accurate.

The moon is very bright this morning--too bright actually.  I can see my own shadow when I am out walking.  The light of the beams cast across the image.   I didn't do a lot to brighten the image.

19andrew47 wrote:

Is that in the dark Craig? If so it turned out quite bright, the moonlight I presume.

It rained almost all day here yesterday. Around early evening it turned to snow. This morning we have about six inches in some places but the ground was still warm so less in others. The temperature now is at the freezing point and the snow is still falling. If I had gotten up to take an image in the dark (it was dark when I rose at 6:50 local time) it would have been white! The snow is expected to continue until sometime tomorrow if the predictions stand. I got the blower mounted on the tractor and the chains installed. I ready. Well not really but I can if I have to!

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads