X-H1 Eyecup replacement suggestions

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
yayatosorus Senior Member • Posts: 1,074
X-H1 Eyecup replacement suggestions

So the other day the rubber on my X-H1's stock eyecup came off while I was out on a walk. It seems the rubber got ripped away from the eyecup's plastic skeleton while it was pressed against my jacket. This made me think about the solidity of Fuji's Eyecups. It is possible mine was defective, but I'd like to hear if anyone has had similar experiences. I've also been looking at some replacements, mainly Fuji's EC-XT L and JJC's counterpart and I've been wondering if JJC's is more solid. Any opinions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

yayatosorus's gear list:yayatosorus's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 3,226
Re: X-H1 Eyecup replacement suggestions

yayatosorus wrote:

So the other day the rubber on my X-H1's stock eyecup came off while I was out on a walk. It seems the rubber got ripped away from the eyecup's plastic skeleton while it was pressed against my jacket. This made me think about the solidity of Fuji's Eyecups. It is possible mine was defective, but I'd like to hear if anyone has had similar experiences. I've also been looking at some replacements, mainly Fuji's EC-XT L and JJC's counterpart and I've been wondering if JJC's is more solid. Any opinions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

I like the Fuji EC-XT L, I haven’t tried the JJC, but I seriously doubt it’s any better. I’ve never had any eyecup issues (other than not working that great - the S and M are too small for me).

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
OP yayatosorus Senior Member • Posts: 1,074

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

I like the Fuji EC-XT L, I haven’t tried the JJC, but I seriously doubt it’s any better. I’ve never had any eyecup issues (other than not working that great - the S and M are too small for me).

Thanks for the swift reply Erik. I haven't had any major problems either, until now. I've never really worried about something like this in the past, so hopefully it was just defective.

Joe Brush
Joe Brush Senior Member • Posts: 1,326

I've had similar issues with the stock XH1 eyecup - Too flimsy and easily caught on bags, jackets etc. I got tired of taking it apart with those tiny little screws and rebuilding it only for it to fall apart again.  I did buy the JJC version to replace it but that was no better if I'm honest. I eventually bit the bullet and bought an official round Fuji eyecup for the Gfx cameras - way better! It's remained firmly attached to the XH1 and I actually much prefer it over the original.

Regards,

Joe,

Joe Brush's gear list:Joe Brush's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 3,226

Joe Brush wrote:

I've had similar issues with the stock XH1 eyecup - Too flimsy and easily caught on bags, jackets etc. I got tired of taking it apart with those tiny little screws and rebuilding it only for it to fall apart again. I did buy the JJC version to replace it but that was no better if I'm honest. I eventually bit the bullet and bought an official round Fuji eyecup for the Gfx cameras - way better! It's remained firmly attached to the XH1 and I actually much prefer it over the original.

Regards,

Joe

I have the round GFX eyecup as well, I like it probably second best, but it actually isn’t as good in bright sun as the L eyecup (I’m left eye dominant) and it blocks the view of the LCD a bit. It interferes with deploying the LCD as well - not a lot, still OK, but takes a bit more effort than usual. Looks cool 😎. I have the offset adjustable one too - nice, but just too big and awkward for my liking.  This is from an X-T2 perspective.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more

Joe Brush wrote:

I've had similar issues with the stock XH1 eyecup - Too flimsy and easily caught on bags, jackets etc. I got tired of taking it apart with those tiny little screws and rebuilding it only for it to fall apart again. I did buy the JJC version to replace it but that was no better if I'm honest. I eventually bit the bullet and bought an official round Fuji eyecup for the Gfx cameras - way better! It's remained firmly attached to the XH1 and I actually much prefer it over the original.

Regards,

Joe,

Thanks for the reply! Just a quick question: Can you take out the hotshoe cover off with the GFX eyecup mlunted on? From the images I've seen it doesn't seem so.

Joe Brush
Joe Brush Senior Member • Posts: 1,326

yayatosorus wrote:

Joe Brush wrote:

Regards,

Joe,

Thanks for the reply! Just a quick question: Can you take out the hotshoe cover off with the GFX eyecup mlunted on? From the images I've seen it doesn't seem so.

Ahh yes, that's the only issue I've found with it - It slightly obstructs the hot shoe cover. It's simple enough to be pushed off using 2 thumbs and replaced once the flash is mounted and it's robust enough not to be affected by multiple removals/replacements. On the XH1, it doesn't hinder the tilting screen at all.

Regards,

Joe.

Joe Brush's gear list:Joe Brush's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100

Thanks for the confirmation. As you say, the stock eyecup seems to be a bit fragile, or at least the rubber does. The last thing I want to worry about when I'm out is the eyecup, so if the GFX eyecup is more solid, I may pick it up.

Honestly, I think Fuji kind of over engineers their eyecups - just take a look at the X-T4 one. If Fuji was to sell a simple polished plastic or hard rubber block ala Nikon, Canon, Pentax I'd buy that instantly.

Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 726

Yes - I have the answer for you.  I struggled so much with the standard eye-cups on both of my H-1's.  They kept falling out but the worst thing for a spec's wearer like me is that they stuck out too far and I couldn't press my eye in close enough to see all of the EVF.  It wasn't until somebody mentioned in passing to me that the eye cup of the X-T1 would slide straight on.  Man, what a difference.  I have one on each of my H-1's and they have never fallen off, they never stick out and I can see all of the viewfinder magically.  Problem solved.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Sutto wrote:

Yes - I have the answer for you. I struggled so much with the standard eye-cups on both of my H-1's. They kept falling out but the worst thing for a spec's wearer like me is that they stuck out too far and I couldn't press my eye in close enough to see all of the EVF. It wasn't until somebody mentioned in passing to me that the eye cup of the X-T1 would slide straight on. Man, what a difference. I have one on each of my H-1's and they have never fallen off, they never stick out and I can see all of the viewfinder magically. Problem solved.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Thank you very much. Can you comment on the material it's made out of? Is the rubber more rigid? It seems so at least. The GFX one looked good, but now I'm torn .

Pan50 Contributing Member • Posts: 635

yayatosorus wrote:

Cheers.

Happens all the time, which is why I have several spare XT1 size L eyecups for my XH1.

Fuji makes great cameras, and even their straps are ok. But eyecups, lens hood and lens caps, pffttttt...they suck!

Pan50's gear list:Pan50's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +9 more
John356 Regular Member • Posts: 165

Can someone with both the M (standard) and the L eyecup help? As a spectacle wearer I have recently purchased a Fuji L eyecup but cannot for the life of me see any difference between this and the supposed standard M eyecup. What is the difference?

I have no reason to believe that the L is a copy – seller was reputable, box and leaflet’s look genuine.

-- hide signature --

John

John356's gear list:John356's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 +7 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,188

John356 wrote:

Can someone with both the M (standard) and the L eyecup help? As a spectacle wearer I have recently purchased a Fuji L eyecup but cannot for the life of me see any difference between this and the supposed standard M eyecup. What is the difference?

I have no reason to believe that the L is a copy – seller was reputable, box and leaflet’s look genuine.

As a fellow eye glass wirer I've struggled with Fuji's eye cups. I also tried JCC brand which do not hold up to frequent use. After trying many models I went agents the flow in the reviews on purchasing sites and tried the FUJIFILM EC-XH Wide Eyecup.  Works great with a few issues that I tolerate.  This eyecup dose the job of shading the opening preventing flare and glair as well as shading your eye.  It is large so it may block a bit of the LCD yet you can push back the bit that blocks the LCD if you need to see that area.  It also interferes with mounting a flash on my X-T3 yet I manage doing some jiggling.  None of the other eyecups come close to provide the level of comfort and view I get with the Wide Eyecup.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads