Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
rick in vegas Contributing Member • Posts: 557
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.
1

Look at some of those Iso's. What do you expect. Get a small flash for those shots. Also JPEG's or RAW? If JPEG check what you have it set on (vivid, flat,etc) also sharpness of settings.

 rick in vegas's gear list:rick in vegas's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R
MHshooter
MHshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

Your problems:  Motion blur, and not understanding how DOF works.  Imagine if you had to pass a proficiency test to own an upper-tier camera?  How many would fail?

FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,845
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.
5

MHshooter wrote:

Your problems: Motion blur, and not understanding how DOF works. Imagine if you had to pass a proficiency test to own an upper-tier camera? How many would fail?

You are suggesting he's getting motion blur with a 1/8000 shutter speed?

What does too shallow DOF have to do with excessive noise?

You'd better study up for that test!

Raymond L
Raymond L Regular Member • Posts: 265
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.
6

This thread is turning pretty brutal... Just saying.. The OP has got the direction/guidance he has required. That's the important bit..

 Raymond L's gear list:Raymond L's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Leica M9 Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-E3 +24 more
MHshooter
MHshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

FingerPainter wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

Your problems: Motion blur, and not understanding how DOF works. Imagine if you had to pass a proficiency test to own an upper-tier camera? How many would fail?

You are suggesting he's getting motion blur with a 1/8000 shutter speed?

What does too shallow DOF have to do with excessive noise?

You'd better study up for that test!

There is clear motion blur in one shot.  Check out the pupils in the kid's eye.

Shallow DOF has nothing to do with noise, it has to do with the reaction of people who are used to phone shots where everything is in-focus or APS shots with slow, inexpensive lenses where "most" things are in-focus to FF lenses where it "appears" unsharp simply because focus is concentrated on one, thin area.

FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,845
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.
9

MHshooter wrote:

FingerPainter wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

Your problems: Motion blur, and not understanding how DOF works. Imagine if you had to pass a proficiency test to own an upper-tier camera? How many would fail?

You are suggesting he's getting motion blur with a 1/8000 shutter speed?

What does too shallow DOF have to do with excessive noise?

You'd better study up for that test!

There is clear motion blur in one shot. Check out the pupils in the kid's eye.

Perhaps you missed it, but the shots taken with the D300 are not ones he is asking for help with. They are shots he is using to demonstrate how he gets better results with his old D300 than with his new Z6. He wants help for the shots taken with the Z6. There is no motion blur in the only shot of the kid taken with the Z6 (at 1/800), just noise.

Don't confuse him by criticizing what he considers to be his good shots.

Shallow DOF has nothing to do with noise,

Well his noisy Z6 shorts are the issue OP wished to address here, not the lack of absolute perfection with his D300 shots. So why are you critiquing his D300 shots instead of giving him the help he wants?

it has to do with the reaction of people who are used to phone shots where everything is in-focus or APS shots with slow, inexpensive lenses where "most" things are in-focus to FF lenses where it "appears" unsharp simply because focus is concentrated on one, thin area.

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,399
Exposure
3

You have to understand exposure. Why are you shooting at f/16 indoors? And 1/8000sec indoors?

Small aperture will allow less light to get in which will raise your ISO to extremely high numbers in Auto ISO.

A very fast shutter speed would do the same. I suggest you take the time to understand the 3 principals of exposure (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) to determine correct exposure at any given scene. The camera has a built in light meter that you can use as reference. "0" being optimal.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 II
Dosstramp Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

rick in vegas wrote:

Its the lens you are using. Slow and old. Also on Z6 that's like 9.5MP only. Suggest 24-70mm f/4 used .

Yes, I was going to make that point too.

Surprised it hadn't been picked up before, Not that the lower MP should make much noticeable visible difference. But those lenses were not that good when first out, compared to other at the time.

Another vote too for the 24-70 f/4. Should be a few used available from those who bought the bundle and have upgraded since.

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,293
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.
1

whatamIdoingwrong wrote:

Whois wrote:

Considering the incredibly high ISO settings that you are using these photos are not bad at all.

I appreciate the comment. Should I just turn the auto ISO off completely or just set a max?

None of that. Keep auto ISO on but configure it right. Let the camera figure out the best shutter speed and ISO, fix the aperture and use A mode, or if you want to make sure you freeze the motion, use S mode. Personally I use M mostly but have auto ISO on and let it float between min and max ISO. Really, there is no difference between the Z6 and the D300 when it comes to exposure settings. IQ wise the Z6 wins but it is not a P&S... Regardless how you set it up.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
bolthead
bolthead Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

olyflyer wrote:

whatamIdoingwrong wrote:

Whois wrote:

Considering the incredibly high ISO settings that you are using these photos are not bad at all.

I appreciate the comment. Should I just turn the auto ISO off completely or just set a max?

None of that. Keep auto ISO on but configure it right. Let the camera figure out the best shutter speed and ISO, fix the aperture and use A mode, or if you want to make sure you freeze the motion, use S mode. Personally I use M mostly but have auto ISO on and let it float between min and max ISO. Really, there is no difference between the Z6 and the D300 when it comes to exposure settings. IQ wise the Z6 wins but it is not a P&S... Regardless how you set it up.

What do you have your min/max set at?

 bolthead's gear list:bolthead's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED +6 more
msu79gt82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,369
Re: Please Help.
8

I'm late to the party, but after reading this entire thread I want to congratulate the OP for the way he handled all the replies. He remained very level-headed and calm throughout.

Hope things are continuing to go well for you.

As an aside my very first DSLR was the D300 followed by the D610 and D500, in early 2019 I traded away all my F-Mount gear and went all in with the Z-System without any regrets.

 msu79gt82's gear list:msu79gt82's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads