What lens?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
TomWret
TomWret Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938
What lens?

What do you believe is the sharpest "prime" between 28mm and 100mm? That fits the K series without an adapter?

Thanks, Tom W

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault: My new site https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/3-thomas-whitehurst

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,737
Re: What lens?

TomWret wrote:

What do you believe is the sharpest "prime" between 28mm and 100mm? That fits the K series without an adapter?

Thanks, Tom W

I believe that two of them (31mm, 100mm) you already have .

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580

TomWret wrote:

Thanks, Tom W

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art and DA 35mm Macro f/2.8 Limited

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,984

TomWret wrote:

Thanks, Tom W

I would look at the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 and the D FA* 85mm f/1.4.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478

Alex Sarbu wrote:

TomWret wrote:

Thanks, Tom W

And dfa 50mm macro.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,388

TomWret wrote:

Thanks, Tom W

I would guess D FA* 85 mm f 1.4.

It's a portrait lens - however it gives enormous resolution. Sharpness comes from processing ...

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
PeterPentax
PeterPentax Contributing Member • Posts: 907

Alex Sarbu wrote:

TomWret wrote:

Thanks, Tom W

Alex

I have both and agree.

TomWret
OP TomWret Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938

Thanks to all, it looks like it is going to favor the 50mm and 85mm lens'. Maybe I'll live long enough to pick one up on ebay.😁

Tom W

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault: My new site https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/3-thomas-whitehurst

Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +9 more
DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,964

zakaria wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

TomWret wrote:

Thanks, Tom W

And dfa 50mm macro.

I have heard the DFA 50/f2.8 Macro is very sharp, even more than the DFA 100/f2.8 Macro which I have and find quite sharp.  I do not have the 50 since I have already many lenses covering this range and also macro.

It is / would be more affordable than the DFA* options.  Smaller and lighter too if that is a factor.

Doug

Alex

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP +32 more
TomWret

Thanks Doug. I'll check that out.

Tom W

-- hide signature --

bkpix
bkpix Contributing Member • Posts: 951

The 70 2.4 Limited is small and sharp can can be used on full frame as well as crop.

bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Pentax KP +13 more
xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,500

Sigma 35/1.4 Art

Most resolving K mount AF lens so far with minimum CA (has less CA than DFA* 50/85).

Then both DFA*50 + DFA*85 and then FA31/1.8 followed by FA77/1.8

And also DFA50/2.8 Macro can resolve huge amount of detail if you need something rather affordable and your working aperture is between F4-F11. Similar thing is Sigma 70/2.8 Macro.

DFA100/2.8 WR Macro follows, but has more CA and needs some more aperture to shine.

DA35/2.8 Macro can deliver nice results too, with F5.6+.

If zoom, then Sig 18-35/1.8, Sig17-50/2.8.

So it depends on budget, optimal focal length for the application and desired AF performance too. There are things like Zeiss ZK 35/2 manual focus only, which can render stunning details, but is hard to find and is manual focus only.

-- hide signature --
 xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Olympus Stylus 1s +33 more
TomWret

Thanks xmedia, I have the DFA 50mm 2.8 macro and I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

Tom W

-- hide signature --

zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478

DougOB wrote:

zakaria wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

TomWret wrote:

Thanks, Tom W

And dfa 50mm macro.

I have heard the DFA 50/f2.8 Macro is very sharp, even more than the DFA 100/f2.8 Macro which I have and find quite sharp. I do not have the 50 since I have already many lenses covering this range and also macro.

I have it .it's maybe the sharpest Pentax lens .

It is / would be more affordable than the DFA* options. Smaller and lighter too if that is a factor.

Doug

Alex

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more

xmeda wrote:

Sigma 35/1.4 Art

Most resolving K mount AF lens so far with minimum CA (has less CA than DFA* 50/85).

I consider CA alway as a minor problem. It can be removed in post-processing the easy way - and how much CA is left if you shoot with in-camera correction set ON?

And resolution as well as CA is just one side of the coin. The overall rendering is influenced by a lot of other factors like colour rendering, 3D pop (maybe caused by a well balanced microcontrast), performance against the light.

I prefer Pentax always because its coating does well in situations where you shoot against the light (and I do it very often). Some lenses end up with a strange soup of reflections, ghosting or strange colours.

Then both DFA*50 + DFA*85 and then FA31/1.8 followed by FA77/1.8

And also DFA50/2.8 Macro can resolve huge amount of detail if you need something rather affordable and your working aperture is between F4-F11. Similar thing is Sigma 70/2.8 Macro.

I have this 70 mm Sigma lens. Regarding AF it is a snail. However, if it comes to sharpness and also overall performance, this lens shines. I was even thinking twice before buying D FA 85 if this old Sigma lens is not all I need. I did also nice portraits with it. I think it is only availabe as used - and you may get it for little money.

DFA100/2.8 WR Macro follows, but has more CA and needs some more aperture to shine.

I think the 100 mm Pentax macro is based on the old Tokina lens design. I have a couple of macro lenses of this class - but this one is still missing. When I informed myself about these lenses I found that the Tokina lens has not best resolution but best rendering in terms of a harmonic look of the photos. If you don't do pixel peeping you may prefer this lens over the others due to its great rendering.

DA35/2.8 Macro can deliver nice results too, with F5.6+.

If zoom, then Sig 18-35/1.8, Sig17-50/2.8.

So it depends on budget, optimal focal length for the application and desired AF performance too. There are things like Zeiss ZK 35/2 manual focus only, which can render stunning details, but is hard to find and is manual focus only.

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more

TomWret wrote:

Thanks xmedia, I have the DFA 50mm 2.8 macro and I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

Tom W

That's a nice lens. I have FA 50 mm macro and it is one of the sharpest lenses in my bag. However, if you go for insects, distance between lens and subject may be a little small. But for everything else - a nice lens which can produce photos that shine.

KL Matt Veteran Member • Posts: 5,961
FA 43 Limited

n/t

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads