An Ode to 24-105 (and Cape Town, South Africa)

Started 3 months ago | User reviews
N4865G
N4865G Contributing Member • Posts: 691
An Ode to 24-105 (and Cape Town, South Africa)

Well, I have had this lens for quite a while now, in fact it was my first 'kit' lens I bought along with Sony A7III - my first Sony full frame camera.

But, ever since expanding my lens collection by the magnificent 100-400GM, excellent 16-35GM and few Batis primes the good, old 24-105 got a bit neglected. At one stage I decided to run away from the 'mainstream' documentary focal length range and try to go to extremes not normally seen by our eyes - either the wide angle (hence 16-35) or my favourite telephoto. In fact, during the last several months the 100-400GM was a permanent resident on my A9 whenever I was travelling. After all, this lens can be so versatile, great for quasi-macro, close-up shots, fantastic for subject compression in the landscape genre, quite handy shooting people portraits, never mind it being my workhorse for outdoor sports photography.

When I was assigned to operate the flight to South Africa the COVID quarantine restrictions were very unclear. It seemed we would be stuck in our hotel rooms for 2 days. Hence I did not consider bringing along all my traditional armada of lenses, rather I thought, the 24-105 could be useful for taking a picture or two during the flight or at the hotel's garden.

Little did I expect, that my 24-105 will become my versatile photographic tool to document my sightseeing moments.

As we were free to go and explore the place I embarked on a full day tour of the favourite spots in the South Cape.

The 24-105 turned out to be a very reliable lens whether I wanted to capture the stunning landscape of the place, macro-zoom in on tiny, little insects populating local flora, or freeze the action of the local surfing community riding the waves of the frigid waters of the Atlantic Ocean. On the way back it proved to be equally reliable tool to capture my colleagues landing the plane back at our home airport.

As they say, the picture is worth a thousand words, so here are the few:

Very close minimum focusing distance allows for almost macro-like affect when shot at 105mm. This flower was very small.

She looks like a massive raptor, but in fact this little lizard was not more than 5cm long

Such a great place cannot be left without proper landscape vista shots

24-105 never hesitated acquiring focus on a distant surfer (yes, the A9 helped a lot, too)

At the culmination of the long day, the mandatory Camps Bay sunset picture was in order

The next day, this lens managed to capture stunning scenery from up above (through the thick, multilayer, heated cockpit glass - the worst filter of all)

Approaching home airport during the early hours of the morning, 24-105's incredible optical image stabilisation allowed for this picture to be shot handheld at 1/20th of a second.

As the trip came to the happy end I came to ever great appreciation of my original 'kit' lens. Is it perfect? No, I wish it had more reach (those surfer pictures were cropped a lot), it could have been faster at f2.8, but then again it would come at a cost.

The balance of portability of this lens with excellent rendering, amazing optical stabilisation and very useful focal length range makes this optics a very reliable companion.

Highly recommended!

-- hide signature --

www.dombuszek.com

N4865G's gear list:N4865G's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +5 more
Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
Sony FE
Announced: Oct 25, 2017
N4865G's score
Average community score
Sony a9 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
basleigh Contributing Member • Posts: 651
Re: An Ode to 24-105 (and Cape Town, South Africa)

The versatility of Sony 24-105mm once again gets the nod of approval and deservedly so judging by this portfolio. However there may be a case for opting for Sony 135mm f1.8 and wide angle lens in reserve say Sony 20mm f1.8. A more expensive option for sure.

basleigh's gear list:basleigh's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
drmarkf Contributing Member • Posts: 733

I’m very fond of Cape Town, and these images make me feel nostalgic!

I hope we can return soon.

drmarkf's gear list:drmarkf's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Sony a7S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III +19 more
DmitryA7III Regular Member • Posts: 117

I had a lot of fun "traveling" through your web portfolio! What aircaraft are you usually flying?? I am asking with a bit of envy as someone who always looked up to you guys since childhood.... :))) Safe flying Dominik!

DmitryA7III's gear list:DmitryA7III's gear list
Sony a7 III
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 563

I think if one could only have one lens for their Sony system - to me it's the 24-105 f4.  They are magical.

-- hide signature --

It's just my educated opinion. Don't get bent out of shape.
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
N4865G
OP N4865G Contributing Member • Posts: 691

Thank you, indeed such a wonderful place. I always find myself mesmerised by the beauty of its landscape.

Pity, it becomes such a dangerous place to travel these days. Formerly safe places like the Waterfront see huge increase of even daylight mugging.

Cheers

Dom

drmarkf wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.dombuszek.com

Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +5 more
N4865G
OP N4865G Contributing Member • Posts: 691

Spasiba Dmitry,

I am fortunate enough to still be able to fly (787) whilst many of my colleagues lost their jobs and face very uncertain future in this industry.

There is a lot of beauty and fun to this job, but honestly as hard it is to believe, after so many years it becomes like any other job.

Thank you

Dom

DmitryA7III wrote:

I had a lot of fun "traveling" through your web portfolio! What aircaraft are you usually flying?? I am asking with a bit of envy as someone who always looked up to you guys since childhood.... :))) Safe flying Dominik!

-- hide signature --

www.dombuszek.com

Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 4,366

In the not so distant past, most of my photography was done when travelling.

I have had numerous "all-in-one" lenses over the decades, all with compromises of one kind or another. The most recent one before I got the 24-105 F4 was the Sony 24-240. It was the best I had had and I took a lot of very nice photos with it, but I never was able to get truly acceptable photos above 150mm or so. As soon as the 24-105 F4 became available, I jumped on it based on very positive reviews and I was not disappointed. It was clearly superior to the 10x lens in all regards except of course for the FL.

I have compared it to my 16-35 F4 and primes from 24 to 85mm and it is as good or close enough that I have confidence that I'm getting excellent quality in nearly all situations. I now carry around a Samyang 18 2.8 for the wide end and sometimes also the 24 and 35 2.8s for low light situations. They weigh next to nothing.

I will admit that if the Tamron 28-200 had been available at the time I probably would have chosen it for the longer FL, but I'm not really tempted at the moment. I also have the relatively compact 70-300G for the long end which I take along when I think I might make use of it.

Would love to visit Cape Town!

Cheers

-- hide signature --

"It is perfectly possible to ignore reality. It is not possible to ignore the consequences of ignoring reality" Ayn Rand
"People who don't accept science should stop using it." GM
Visit my galleries at:
http://beautiful-life.smugmug.com/

Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 +15 more
DmitryA7III Regular Member • Posts: 117

Dziękuję Dominik!

I completely understand what you mean... and, yet, you are in the cockpit of 787 and I am in an office chair at home. :))) I know... :)))) Your industry is hit particularly hard, hope you will succeed. Best of luck Dom!!!

DmitryA7III's gear list:DmitryA7III's gear list
Sony a7 III
drmarkf Contributing Member • Posts: 733

N4865G wrote:

Thank you, indeed such a wonderful place. I always find myself mesmerised by the beauty of its landscape.

Pity, it becomes such a dangerous place to travel these days. Formerly safe places like the Waterfront see huge increase of even daylight mugging.

Cheers

Dom

drmarkf wrote:

I was last there in August ‘19 with 4 photo friends, staying at Boulders Beach for a few nights before flying home after a wildlife & landscape photo trip to a friend’s farm in the Karoo.

Mostly we stayed in the scenic, out of town areas around the Cape & Constantia - I’ve been to the Waterfront several times before, so I and one other went off shooting landscapes around the Cape while the other 3 did the tourist thing. 
They survived without incident! I must say the Waterfront seemed a lot safer on my trip in 2018 than it did during my first visit 5 years before, but obviously things can change day by day.

As ever in so many places around the world, bad things can happen very quickly in urban areas in SA (and I’ve seen a few during earlier visits, fortunately only from a safe distance), but realistically you’re very unlucky to be involved in any in rural areas, especially if you keep alert and especially don’t drive at night!

drmarkf's gear list:drmarkf's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Sony a7S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads