R5 growing pains

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
bernie r
bernie r Regular Member • Posts: 308
Re: R5 growing pains

1Dx4me wrote:

man, that looks like my home air condition unit

No, just a Intel Xeon W-3175X at 4.5GHz AVX2 on a just below ambient water chiller.

ilumo Regular Member • Posts: 301

that’s a diesel gaming rig setup you have there  jealous of your 3090

frostybe3r wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

man, that looks like my home air condition unit

No, just a Intel Xeon W-3175X at 4.5GHz AVX2 on a just below ambient water chiller.

ilumo's gear list:ilumo's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more
OP KatManDEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,233

frostybe3r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

Haven't had much chance to use my R5 since I got it a few weeks ago. Last week I photographed my first bird in flight with the R5. I'm very used to birds in flight with my 200-400 and my 7D2 and 5D3 and 5D4. I was shocked by the blackout time in the view finder with the R5. Is there something I can change to minimize that? I was using mechanical shutter.

Also shot some video with it last week. Shot the same event with the R5 and my Mavic 2 Pro drone. 4k video with both, 29.97 FPS. 128 GB cards in both. Halfway thru the event the card in the R5 was full. The Mavic kept recording for the whole show.

My computer struggles hard to play the 4k R5 video. It plays a few seconds and then chews at the hard drive, and then plays a few more seconds. The computer has no problem with the 4k Mavic videos. It's an older core i7. 3 Ghz, 48 GB memory. Nvidia Quadro 4000 video card.

You're going to need a significantly better computer than that for playing back the footage in real time, also the R5 records at a significantly higher bitrate than your drone.

You'll want a 3090 ideally.

What is a 3090?

KatManDEW's gear list:KatManDEW's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R +21 more

Kelvin_Woooo wrote:

Hi, may I know what type of mass storage device you are currently using? SSD or HDD?

Since it seems to me that the bottleneck is with the storage device.

It is HDD.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R +21 more
bernie r

KatManDEW wrote:

frostybe3r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

Haven't had much chance to use my R5 since I got it a few weeks ago. Last week I photographed my first bird in flight with the R5. I'm very used to birds in flight with my 200-400 and my 7D2 and 5D3 and 5D4. I was shocked by the blackout time in the view finder with the R5. Is there something I can change to minimize that? I was using mechanical shutter.

Also shot some video with it last week. Shot the same event with the R5 and my Mavic 2 Pro drone. 4k video with both, 29.97 FPS. 128 GB cards in both. Halfway thru the event the card in the R5 was full. The Mavic kept recording for the whole show.

My computer struggles hard to play the 4k R5 video. It plays a few seconds and then chews at the hard drive, and then plays a few more seconds. The computer has no problem with the 4k Mavic videos. It's an older core i7. 3 Ghz, 48 GB memory. Nvidia Quadro 4000 video card.

You're going to need a significantly better computer than that for playing back the footage in real time, also the R5 records at a significantly higher bitrate than your drone.

What is a 3090?

Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,752

dgumshu wrote:

The challenge for me is the momentary lag in wake up, from sleep, in order to focus on a subject that suddenly appears.

I get around this by flipping the LCD backwards, or going to EVF-Only mode. That way I can wake the camera up on the way to my eye.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
dgumshu
dgumshu Veteran Member • Posts: 4,282

Tazz93 wrote:

dgumshu wrote:

The challenge for me is the momentary lag in wake up, from sleep, in order to focus on a subject that suddenly appears.

I get around this by flipping the LCD backwards, or going to EVF-Only mode. That way I can wake the camera up on the way to my eye.

I typically don’t use the LCD in the field, as all can be accessed from the EVF... so LCD is typically closed to save on power.  I rely on the EVF and use a button to switch between the two when needed.  
I find that Unless the camera is in standby as opposed to sleep, that delay is just long enough to miss the fast shot... as I’m bringing it up to my eye.

dgumshu's gear list:dgumshu's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R5 +49 more
Kelvin_Woooo Junior Member • Posts: 39

KatManDEW wrote:

Kelvin_Woooo wrote:

Hi, may I know what type of mass storage device you are currently using? SSD or HDD?

Since it seems to me that the bottleneck is with the storage device.

It is HDD.

Then I am afraid it is the bottleneck since most of the HDD read speed is around 150MB/s.

If you compare it to a UHS-II SD card which is usually around 300MB/s read or CFExpress which usually offer 1500MB/s, you will found yourself in need of a SSD.

Kelvin_Woooo's gear list:Kelvin_Woooo's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +8 more
Nimonus Regular Member • Posts: 178

dgumshu wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

dgumshu wrote:

I typically don’t use the LCD in the field, as all can be accessed from the EVF... so LCD is typically closed to save on power. I rely on the EVF and use a button to switch between the two when needed.
I find that Unless the camera is in standby as opposed to sleep, that delay is just long enough to miss the fast shot... as I’m bringing it up to my eye.

EVF eats up more power than back LCD.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,341

Nimonus wrote:

Even if that is true, the LCD can't be set to shut off as soon as you stop looking at it, though.

dgumshu
dgumshu Veteran Member • Posts: 4,282

Nimonus wrote:

dgumshu wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

dgumshu wrote:

I typically don’t use the LCD in the field, as all can be accessed from the EVF... so LCD is typically closed to save on power. I rely on the EVF and use a button to switch between the two when needed.

But I need the EVF all the time  I just don’t need to use both.

dgumshu's gear list:dgumshu's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R5 +49 more

bernie r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

frostybe3r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

What is a 3090?

Thank you. Would a 3080 work for 4k from the R5?

bernie r

KatManDEW wrote:

bernie r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

frostybe3r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

What is a 3090?

Thank you. Would a 3080 work for 4k from the R5?

Yeah, I mean it'll still work for 8K if you use proxies.

This is VRAM usage with 8K 12 bit.

RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,350

bernie r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

I have a Thinkpad W541 laptop with 32GB of RAM and Nvidia GPU that is standard with the 4 Core 8 thread laptop. I have no trouble playing back 4K30. I have tried to play back 8K ALL-I and it was a little choppy using the windows app.  IPB may better.

. I am not opposed to creating a proxy file for editing and that will permit playback for editing.  Playing back on PC 8K should have an 8K display and mine is only 4K so I would no benefit from 8K on it for playback.  $2000 TV with 8K are appearing now so in few years lots of home TV may have 8K capability.

I a have a couple of these W541 laptops should I require heavier workload using proxies. However, I am primarily a still shooter. I most will use 4K30 but may occasionally use 4K30HQ and 4K60.  I will just dabble a little with 8K. Since for most cases 2K downsamped from 4K is excellent and 4K60 maybe useful for Youtube or only storage player content creation.   I have a Ninja V to speed up 4K60 production if required.   The 1TB SSDs for the Ninja V are only $200 each which are handy if you need 4k60 in longer recordings.  The Ninja V has a recent firmware update 10.56 that is very import if yours is behind in firmware update I recommend you do that for these more demanding videos.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R +38 more

RDM5546 wrote:

bernie r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

I have a Thinkpad W541 laptop with 32GB of RAM and Nvidia GPU that is standard with the 4 Core 8 thread laptop. I have no trouble playing back 4K30. I have tried to play back 8K ALL-I and it was a little choppy using the windows app. IPB may better.

. I am not opposed to creating a proxy file for editing and that will permit playback for editing. Playing back on PC 8K should have an 8K display and mine is only 4K so I would no benefit from 8K on it for playback. $2000 TV with 8K are appearing now so in few years lots of home TV may have 8K capability.

I a have a couple of these W541 laptops should I require heavier workload using proxies. However, I am primarily a still shooter. I most will use 4K30 but may occasionally use 4K30HQ and 4K60. I will just dabble a little with 8K. Since for most cases 2K downsamped from 4K is excellent and 4K60 maybe useful for Youtube or only storage player content creation. I have a Ninja V to speed up 4K60 production if required. The 1TB SSDs for the Ninja V are only $200 each which are handy if you need 4k60 in longer recordings. The Ninja V has a recent firmware update 10.56 that is very import if yours is behind in firmware update I recommend you do that for these more demanding videos.

Thank you, and everyone, for all the information.
I used proxies in Premiere and that worked.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads