R5 growing pains

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
KatManDEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,197
R5 growing pains

Haven't had much chance to use my R5 since I got it a few weeks ago. Last week I photographed my first bird in flight with the R5. I'm very used to birds in flight with my 200-400 and my 7D2 and 5D3 and 5D4. I was shocked by the blackout time in the view finder with the R5. Is there something I can change to minimize that? I was using mechanical shutter.

Also shot some video with it last week. Shot the same event with the R5 and my Mavic 2 Pro drone. 4k video with both, 29.97 FPS. 128 GB cards in both. Halfway thru the event the card in the R5 was full. The Mavic kept recording for the whole show.

My computer struggles hard to play the 4k R5 video. It plays a few seconds and then chews at the hard drive, and then plays a few more seconds. The computer has no problem with the 4k Mavic videos. It's an older core i7. 3 Ghz, 48 GB memory. Nvidia Quadro 4000 video card.

KatManDEW's gear list:KatManDEW's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R +21 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Davidof_CR Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: R5 growing pains

You should use Hi+ only to minimise blackout.

For Hi there is an option called High Speed Display in Camera / 7.

Also, in Camera / 8 set Diplay Perf. to Smooth

David

Davidof_CR's gear list:Davidof_CR's gear list
Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +5 more
gdvincentjr Junior Member • Posts: 42

KatManDEW wrote:

Also shot some video with it last week. Shot the same event with the R5 and my Mavic 2 Pro drone. 4k video with both, 29.97 FPS. 128 GB cards in both. Halfway thru the event the card in the R5 was full. The Mavic kept recording for the whole show.

The bit rate for these 2 devices are very different - which is why the file size is much larger on the R5.  I believe the Mavic is around ~100Mbps,  where the R5 is 120, 470, or 930Mbps, depending on the format chosen.

gdvincentjr's gear list:gdvincentjr's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
OP KatManDEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,197

Davidof_CR wrote:

You should use Hi+ only to minimise blackout.

For Hi there is an option called High Speed Display in Camera / 7.

Also, in Camera / 8 set Diplay Perf. to Smooth

David

Thank you very much! I will try that.

Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R +21 more

gdvincentjr wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

The bit rate for these 2 devices are very different - which is why the file size is much larger on the R5. I believe the Mavic is around ~100Mbps, where the R5 is 120, 470, or 930Mbps, depending on the format chosen.

Thank you! I suspected it might be something to do with bit rates.
What kind of horsepower do I need to view and edit the 5R files?
My CPU is Core i7-6700K. It's 4.0 GHz not 3.0 as I said before. I use a wide gamut "10 bit" NEC monitor with the Nvidia Quadro P4000. I wonder if the wide gamut is slowing things down?
I'm using Premiere Premiere Pro 2019 for editing.

Lisa Kiehls Regular Member • Posts: 350

Yes, turn on high-speed display, and turn off automatic image review in the viewfinder, and you should be good to go.

Lisa Kiehls wrote:

Yes, turn on high-speed display, and turn off automatic image review in the viewfinder, and you should be good to go.

Thank you!

Chris_Chapterten Regular Member • Posts: 204

KatManDEW wrote:

gdvincentjr wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

The bit rate for these 2 devices are very different - which is why the file size is much larger on the R5. I believe the Mavic is around ~100Mbps, where the R5 is 120, 470, or 930Mbps, depending on the format chosen.

Thank you! I suspected it might be something to do with bit rates.
What kind of horsepower do I need to view and edit the 5R files?
My CPU is Core i7-6700K. It's 4.0 GHz not 3.0 as I said before. I use a wide gamut "10 bit" NEC monitor with the Nvidia Quadro P4000. I wonder if the wide gamut is slowing things down?
I'm using Premiere Premiere Pro 2019 for editing.

If you are shooting video in h.265 like the R5 does it doesn’t really matter how fast your PC is it won’t help. Unfortunately no current PC hardware has built in hardware acceleration for decoding h.265 4:2:2 footage.

Your cheapest option to edit these video files more easily would be to pick up one of the new M1 Mac Minis for under $1000. Pretty much the only video that particular system will struggle with is 8k. But it has hardware acceleration so your 4K videos won’t be a problem

bernie r
bernie r Regular Member • Posts: 263

KatManDEW wrote:

Haven't had much chance to use my R5 since I got it a few weeks ago. Last week I photographed my first bird in flight with the R5. I'm very used to birds in flight with my 200-400 and my 7D2 and 5D3 and 5D4. I was shocked by the blackout time in the view finder with the R5. Is there something I can change to minimize that? I was using mechanical shutter.

My computer struggles hard to play the 4k R5 video. It plays a few seconds and then chews at the hard drive, and then plays a few more seconds. The computer has no problem with the 4k Mavic videos. It's an older core i7. 3 Ghz, 48 GB memory. Nvidia Quadro 4000 video card.

You're going to need a significantly better computer than that for playing back the footage in real time, also the R5 records at a significantly higher bitrate than your drone.

You'll want a 3090 ideally.

frostybe3r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

You're going to need a significantly better computer than that for playing back the footage in real time, also the R5 records at a significantly higher bitrate than your drone.

A 3090 costs more than a Mac Mini and doesn’t have hardware acceleration for h.265 10bit 4:2:2 video files that the R5 needs..

bernie r
bernie r Regular Member • Posts: 263

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

frostybe3r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

A 3090 costs more than a Mac Mini and doesn’t have hardware acceleration for h.265 10bit 4:2:2 video files that the R5 needs..

Oh that's cute, a mac. Btw my pc doesn't stutter at all with any R5 video file

frostybe3r wrote:

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

frostybe3r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

Oh that's cute, a mac. Btw my pc doesn't stutter at all with any R5 video file

That’s great, I’m happy for you. I am also a PC user. But for $699 starting price the Mac is still the cheapest way to get into editing h.265 10bit 4:2:2 R5 files for someone on a budget.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,184

KatManDEW wrote:

A mechanical shutter always needs blackout time, to setup and reset the curtains for each frame.  Electronic curtains can be working on more than one frame at a time.

Full electronic shutter only gives one short black pulse at the beginning of a burst, and then just slows down a little in the EVF, but still better quality than a lot of older EVF or Live View systems.  Caveats are more post-gain noise (with a little bit of fine horizontal banding), possible noticeable jello/shearing for very fast objects or pans, and horizontal color/exposure banding from strobing lights.

There are a few quality parameters that greatly affect the bandwidth of 4K video, and Your Mavic Pro might be using a lot more compression than even the lowest quality possible with the R5 (I have no idea, but that's a possibility).

What are your 4K video quality options?  With the highest qualities of video, unpacking compression itself should be faster, but the more demand there is on storage transfer speed.  Perhaps until you get a system that can handle the high-Q video better, you can make copies of your quality videos at quality and size per second like your Mavic Pro, running that in batch in the background.

Davidof_CR Regular Member • Posts: 144

In Hi+ there is no blackout as such, there is the last taken picture visible.

With 9-12 fr/sec it is acceptable for following moving objects.

For slower speeds it is clumsy.

David

Davidof_CR's gear list:Davidof_CR's gear list
Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +5 more
dgumshu
dgumshu Veteran Member • Posts: 4,238

The challenge for me is the momentary lag in wake up, from sleep, in order to focus on a subject that suddenly appears.

dgumshu's gear list:dgumshu's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R5 +49 more
David Carlyon Contributing Member • Posts: 566

If you don't want to spring for an M1 Mac (or like me, are trying to hold out for the higher end models), you can still edit the files by using proxies. In Premiere Pro, for example, you would make low-quality/bitrate proxies of the clips when you start, which will take some time, but once done, you can edit with those files. Then when you export, it will automatically use the high quality versions.

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,088

dgumshu wrote:

The challenge for me is the momentary lag in wake up, from sleep, in order to focus on a subject that suddenly appears.

I found turning off IS helped a lot with this.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Kelvin_Woooo Junior Member • Posts: 39

Hi, may I know what type of mass storage device you are currently using? SSD or HDD?

Since it seems to me that the bottleneck is with the storage device.

Kelvin_Woooo's gear list:Kelvin_Woooo's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +8 more
murzik Junior Member • Posts: 38

R5 video files recorded with ALL-I are very easy to edit, much easier then MP4 from Mavic. Most likely hard drive is the problem.  Or editing software...

1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432

man, that looks like my home air condition unit

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads