Canon R5 Hand-Held

Started 3 months ago | Questions
ColinR2016 Junior Member • Posts: 33
Canon R5 Hand-Held

Hi,

I'm currently an Olympus user considering investing in the Canon system (either R5 or R6). A lot of my usage is hand-held landscape photography whilst hiking, something the Olympus excels at. However, I keep reading statements along the lines of "to get the best from the R5 you need to use a tripod". How true is that ? I understand the benefits of using a tripod as a compositional aid etc but will you get sharper shots than hand-held ?

Thanks for any help.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
davidwien Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Canon R5 Hand-Held

ColinR2016 wrote:

A lot of my usage is hand-held landscape photography whilst hiking, something the Olympus excels at. However, I keep reading statements along the lines of "to get the best from the R5 you need to use a tripod". How true is that ? I understand the benefits of using a tripod as a compositional aid etc but will you get sharper shots than hand-held ?

I am not sure in what context you have read this.

They will only be sharper on a tripod if the shutter speed is so slow that it is impossible to hold the camera still during the exposure. That said, the R5 performs more impressively at higher ISO settings than older cameras, and taking advantage of this avoids long exposures in poor light.

David

davidwien's gear list:davidwien's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 11,492

At low shutter speeds you will always benefit from using a tripod in landscape photography, irrespective of brand and camera features.

At higher shutter speeds you can make it work without a tripod, especially if using IBIS.

IBIS on the R5 and R6, especially when in combination compatible lenses that feature OIS, has been tested and reported at least as good as the Olympus solutions.

The statement you read about the R5 is not related to the R5, per si but rather something related to all high-MP count cameras.

Slight shakes are more prone to induce visible blurriness when the photo is seen at 100% simply because there are more pixels to resolve any given scene area. This, obviously, can be better neutralized by using a tripod.

I know dragging along a tripod can be a pain but, if serious about landscape photography , you should use one.

Hope this helps.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.humbertoborgesfotografia.com/
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Funny Valentine
Funny Valentine Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Canon R5 Hand-Held: the pixels are much smaller.

I use both Olympus em1-3 and canon R6. The R6 is a very good handheld landscape camera. But I consider my Olympus a better landscape camera because of HHHRS and live ND.

There are many reports of shutter shock and motion blur on the R5 on this forum. The high megapixel sensors picks up a lot of motion blur. So you rarely get the actual 45 megapixels that you paid for, unless you use a very steady tripod and a remote shutter release.

So far I always use the EFCS antishock on the R6 and I can handhold with the RF 35mm f/1.8 up to 1/2s shutter speed with near to 100% keepers rate. With the Olympus at 50mm equivalent I can go up to 1 or 2 seconds with high keepers rate. The general rule is the bigger the pixel pitch dimensions are, the easiest it is to handhold. So the R6 is a better choice.

Also there are reports of R5's IBIS going crazy and not working as seen in this video: https://www.reddit.com/r/canon/comments/jwrl9c/my_new_r5_ibis_is_rattling_like_crazy_can_anyone/

It seems the IBIS in this video is not responding to the gyro sensor. So far this problem seems to be limited to the R5.

-- hide signature --

Funny Valentine's gear list:Funny Valentine's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Davidof_CR Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: Canon R5 Hand-Held: the pixels are much smaller.

I just wanted to write something similar like Valentine.

Having both R6 + 24-105/4 and EM1-3 + 12-100/4, I would probably choose Oly for handheld landscapes.

Still, R6 is a fantastic camera, best AF I ever saw.

David.

Davidof_CR's gear list:Davidof_CR's gear list
Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +5 more
Swerky Regular Member • Posts: 346

ColinR2016 wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently an Olympus user considering investing in the Canon system (either R5 or R6). A lot of my usage is hand-held landscape photography whilst hiking, something the Olympus excels at. However, I keep reading statements along the lines of "to get the best from the R5 you need to use a tripod". How true is that ? I understand the benefits of using a tripod as a compositional aid etc but will you get sharper shots than hand-held ?

Thanks for any help.

Depends on what you consider "sharp". What is your degree of satisfaction. If you shoot mainly in daylight you shouldn't have a problem even if you stop the aperture down to f8 or f11 to maximise sharpness and have good depth of field. Plus you shouldn't have a problem with a bit lower shutter speeds since you get at least 6 stops of stabilisation with the combined lens IS and body ibis. 5 stops with ibis only. You can stay at iso 100 in daylight. But even if you can have good stabilisation with lower shutter speed, if the climate is windy, this can introduce some shake in you environment due to the wind. Here nothing can help. You have to increase iso in order to have a faster shutter speed. Or open your aperture. Depending on the situation you're in. In any case the only situation when you'll need to use a tripod to maximise sharpness is when the light goes down. Of course added to that you still need to have good technique in stabilising your gear while shooting. Specially as you said you shoot landscapes while hiking. You need to make sure to take your time while taking the shot. The stability of your hands and body add a big difference to the end result even with all the added gear stabilisation.

-- hide signature --

Canon, you revive the 20mm f2.8 for RF mount with a similar close focus capability as the 35mm 1.8 and 24-105 f4-7.1, and these three lenses would form all I need as a compact and light kit for travel, street and hiking.

Swerky's gear list:Swerky's gear list
Canon G1 X III Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM
ckor Junior Member • Posts: 30

Would you like to explain me, when would  you reccomned (in which situation) and when wouldn't  you  EFCS? (i am never sure.....tripod? handheld? etc.).

Funny Valentine

ckor wrote:

Would you like to explain me, when would you reccomned (in which situation) and when wouldn't you EFCS? (i am never sure.....tripod? handheld? etc.).

I use EFCS all the time on the R6. But it's not the best option for all situations.

It's advised that for the best bokeh rendition or best high ISO performance it's better to use the normal shutter instead.

On tripod or handheld, EFCS is useful for both situations. Shutter shock can also happen on a tripod.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
ckor Junior Member • Posts: 30

Thanks!

Funny Valentine wrote:

ckor wrote:

Would you like to explain me, when would you reccomned (in which situation) and when wouldn't you EFCS? (i am never sure.....tripod? handheld? etc.).

I use EFCS all the time on the R6. But it's not the best option for all situations.

It's advised that for the best bokeh rendition or best high ISO performance it's better to use the normal shutter instead.

On tripod or handheld, EFCS is useful for both situations. Shutter shock can also happen on a tripod.

Uladzimir Forum Member • Posts: 58

Davidof_CR wrote:

Having both R6 + 24-105/4 and EM1-3 + 12-100/4, I would probably choose Oly for handheld landscapes.

David.

@Funny Valentine

@Davidof_CR

thanks for sharing this, very interesting.

i am also debating which way to go R6 with 24-105 or EM1 iii with 12-100.

If used for landscapes exclusively ( mostly golden hour, also long exposure, but no night sky photography) do you feel the R6 setup would be preferable for this kind of photography because of the higher DR, or the difference is kind of there but not a deal breaker?

Uladzimir

https://www.instagram.com/roadsideviews/
https://www.instagram.com/bnwonmyiphone/

Funny Valentine

Uladzimir wrote:

Davidof_CR wrote:

David.

@Funny Valentine

@Davidof_CR

thanks for sharing this, very interesting.

i am also debating which way to go R6 with 24-105 or EM1 iii with 12-100.

If used for landscapes exclusively ( mostly golden hour, also long exposure, but no night sky photography) do you feel the R6 setup would be preferable for this kind of photography because of the higher DR, or the difference is kind of there but not a deal breaker?

Uladzimir

https://www.instagram.com/roadsideviews/
https://www.instagram.com/bnwonmyiphone/

I will post a comparison between the R6 and em1-3 once I get the chance to travel to landscape worthy sceneries.

But for single shots the R6 is a lot better. The aspect ratio is 3:2 which is more suitable for landscapes. The noise level in the bright skies, up to ISO 800, is barely noticeable, which is great. And the shadow recovery is very good. For landscapes I try to never go above ISO 1600 with the R6, which is achievable thanks to the IBIS.

I use the R6 with prime lenses only, so I can't comment on the 24-105. All I can say is the 35 f/1.8 and 85 f/2.0 make a great landscape combination. With the R6, I think the ETTR rule doesn't apply either. But I need more time to experiment.

The em1-3 is really good when you use the HHHRS. It's really great for noise reduction as it stacks 16 pictures together. You can get very clean skies up to ISO 1600 with HHHRS. But for single shots, the bright blue skies look a bit noisy, even at ISO 200. I use the em1-3 mostly with primes so I can't comment on the 12-100. Also the best software to edit HHHRS files is Olympus Workspace, which is painfully slow and makes my laptop to overheat a lot.

But if you do mostly landscapes the Canon R6 is the more versatile camera with the better workflow. I keep the em1.3 for macro and product photography.

-- hide signature --

Davidof_CR Regular Member • Posts: 144

Difficult to answer.

I have both, but there were no time to compare them both in the same situation.

If you value lightness of your gear and if you never use tripod, then EM1-3 has a lot to offer, especially with 12-100. Such lens is difficult to beat - with 24-100 you have half the reach. 24-240 is no match to 12-100, I think.

It also depends, what other lenses you plan, and how much you value thin depth of field.

With EM1-3 + 12-100 + 25/1.2 you can travel the world and bring beautiful pictures.

With R6 + 24-105 + 50/1.8 too

But you might miss the 106-200 reach, HHHR, 1-2 sec exposures, Live ND, Live Composite, PreCapture, 60 RAWs/sec ...

It all depends on you

David

Davidof_CR's gear list:Davidof_CR's gear list
Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +5 more
Uladzimir Forum Member • Posts: 58

Davidof_CR wrote:

Difficult to answer.

I have both, but there were no time to compare them both in the same situation.

If you value lightness of your gear and if you never use tripod, then EM1-3 has a lot to offer, especially with 12-100. Such lens is difficult to beat - with 24-100 you have half the reach. 24-240 is no match to 12-100, I think.

It also depends, what other lenses you plan, and how much you value thin depth of field.

With EM1-3 + 12-100 + 25/1.2 you can travel the world and bring beautiful pictures.

With R6 + 24-105 + 50/1.8 too

But you might miss the 106-200 reach, HHHR, 1-2 sec exposures, Live ND, Live Composite, PreCapture, 60 RAWs/sec ...

It all depends on you

David

@Funny Valentine

@Davidof_CR

thank you for your replies! they do not make the choice easier though ))

taking into account all you said I do lean to Oly because of all those nice tricks like hhhr, live nd and composite and all, and it seems like ibis is a bit better compared to canon, i would leave tripod at home whenever possible. but single shot IQ is obviously better with either canon. will have to try Oly software to see how my laptop handles it.

OP ColinR2016 Junior Member • Posts: 33

Thanks for your insight here.  Most of my landscape photography is in good light so a fairly fast shutter speed is used.  I think it's about 50% hand-held and 50% tripod mounted.  This is a big decision for me and I don't want to spend a lot of money and only get an incremental improvement.  Aside from sharpness, do you see any other advantages of the R6 in terms of the "full frame look" ?

Funny Valentine

ColinR2016 wrote:

Thanks for your insight here. Most of my landscape photography is in good light so a fairly fast shutter speed is used. I think it's about 50% hand-held and 50% tripod mounted. This is a big decision for me and I don't want to spend a lot of money and only get an incremental improvement. Aside from sharpness, do you see any other advantages of the R6 in terms of the "full frame look" ?

As for the "full frame look" and "3D pop" I would go with the R6. Simply because the R6 is better than the R5 when using older lenses for example the EF lenses, thanks to its 20 megapixel sensor.

For the R5 to bring out the best of its high resolution sensor you need modern lenses that are overcorrected. For example new RF lenses have very high number of optical elements for maximum sharpness and aberration corrections. But the downside it they look very flat and lack micro contrast.

If you plan to use older lenses with less optical elements for more micro contrast and better depth, then it's better to avoid the 45 megapixel R5 as it will be crushed by those lenses. So in this type of use the 20 megapixels from the R6 are better.

You can read this article to find out more about depth and micro contrast: https://yannickkhong.com/blog/2015/10/4/the-flattening-of-modern-lenses-or-the-death-of-3d-pop

If you want maximum cropping and sharpness go for the R5.

If you want to play with low optical element lenses for better micro contrast and depth rendition go with the R6.

-- hide signature --

Serhan2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,420

I can push the Olympus EM5 III with Panasonic 12-32mm to 1.3-1.6sec with silent shutter hand held vs 2 sec with Canon R5 with 24-105 / 24-240 IS lenses + mech shutter hand held. You have to consider that you have much higher MP with Canon R5 so it exceeded my expectation. One thing is the silent shutter is limited to 0.5sec with R5.

2 sec hand held:

https://pbase.com/sc_20170/image/171250466/original,jpg

https://pbase.com/sc_20170/image/171250462/original.jpg

30 sec supported by railing:

https://pbase.com/sc_20170/image/171250429/original.jpg

and cropped:

https://pbase.com/sc_20170/image/171250441/original.jpg

ColinR2016 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

bernie r
bernie r Regular Member • Posts: 263

ColinR2016 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

What? If anything the IBIS on the R5 will be better than any other camera for hand-held, either way, getting the most out of the R5 by using a tripod is just a ridiculously absurd thing to say and I don't know who said that.

Marximus
Marximus Forum Member • Posts: 80

I've recently simplified my gear down to an R5 and R6 for weddings/portraits/wildlife, and two m4/3 bodies for landscapes/macro/walkaround (E-M1 II/Panasonic G95). The R5 and R6 are fantastic, but I'm sticking with m4/3 for landscapes, because of the far lighter/smaller/weather sealed package. I also appreciate the fact that I only need to stop down to f/8 to simulate f/16 full-frame when I want almost everything in focus (almost always the case when I'm shooting landscapes).

Marximus's gear list:Marximus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic G95 Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads