Got my R5 finally!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
yoonsung
yoonsung New Member • Posts: 19
Got my R5 finally!

Santa came early this year!

Ordered this on the 24th, and got it on the 27th.

So nice to have this even though I have not even shot this since my controlling adapter is still on the way, but still so excited!

yoonsung's gear list:yoonsung's gear list
Ricoh GR II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS R5 GoPro Hero8 Black Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +3 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,884
Re: Got my R5 finally!

yoonsung wrote:

So nice to have this even though I have not even shot this since my controlling adapter is still on the way, but still so excited!

Congrats.

-- hide signature --
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,134

Enjoy. I know the feeling. Got mine a few weeks ago.

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
danferrin Regular Member • Posts: 408

Congratulations.  Hoping to get mine within the next two weeks.  Fingers crossed.

-- hide signature --

My life is a circle of confusion - photography is my meditation.

danferrin's gear list:danferrin's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM +16 more
rmexpress22 Senior Member • Posts: 1,569

I ordered from Adorama and cancelled since I was on the very back of the line. I ordered from Best Buy today since they seem to have more stock. I'm hoping they ship out faster than their December 30th estimate. I have a CF card, adapter, and accessories, pretty much all except for the camera.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Canon PowerShot G16 +18 more
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,221

yoonsung wrote:

Congratulations on the quick delivery.   I got my 9 days ago and I preordered it July 9.  It has been 9 days bliss after the four month wait.   I have used it a little every day.

I have learned many the little diffherences with EOS R which has a lot in common and lot of small things are different.   This language difference in the menu words slows down my ability to thoroughly learn the new camera and it's language.   Still I know the EOS the best currently but I love both the EOS R and this new to me R5.

Menu terms are changed between these two cameras.  Silent shutter in EOS R is the Electronic shutter in the R5 menu.   Electronic shutter is much more specific and a better choice. Mechanical shutter is enable turning "off" Silent shutter (to make it (noisy).  Silent LV (live view) Shoot has three selection choices (mode 1, mode 2, & disable).  model 1 is EFCS and Mode 2 is delayed EFCS.   I find the changes in language and modes confusing at times.    More to learn and keep in my mind when frequently going back and forth between these two related cameras.  The R5 can do more for me but it also has more to learn.  I have 18 month experience with the EOS R and 1/3 month (of euphoria) so far with R5.

The eye tracking AFII is amazing and seems like cheating but it has requirements and limitations.   As Clint Eastwood  said in a Dirty Harry role "a man has to learn limitations".  So I spent a lot of time in December learning the real world, real shooting limitations of the R5.    I set up BIF shooting for birds with eye tracking along with single button switch to video with a repurposed MFn button.   I like this but I need to define and setup  C1, C2 and C3.  I need quick switching for both wildlife stills and 4KHQ video with focus tracking in modes that suit me.  This will take time and many trial to achieve my perfection suited for me.

I just hope when I do this shooting high school action sports will fit in to many of the settings.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
Edward Leiken Forum Member • Posts: 65

Congratulations! You must be so proud! And it’s funny but it kind of looks like you too!

-- hide signature --

Dyslexics are teople poo.

Edward Leiken's gear list:Edward Leiken's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM +1 more
David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,469

yoonsung wrote:

Congratulations on figuring out how to get an R5 3 days after having ordered one. I ordered mine in the beginning of July and got mine 3.5 months later.

Regardless of timing, you will enjoy the R5; it's a great camera. Just read the owner's manual well and check out some internet sites that do a good job of going over the menu and controls. There are so many options that you can use to make your photography and video better, but it can sometimes be a little confusing as to how to best use them.

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

David Franklin's gear list:David Franklin's gear list
Canon EOS R5
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,134

David Franklin wrote:

yoonsung wrote:

Congratulations on figuring out how to get an R5 3 days after having ordered one. I ordered mine in the beginning of July and got mine 3.5 months later.

I did better than that. I ordered mine from Competitive Camera and got it next day a few weeks ago. I too gave up on B&H. Ft. Worth Camera and several others had them in stock and I believe they still do. Worth checking out. I'm not big on patience. I nearly gave up on getting a RF100-500 but got one a week after looking around at Cameraland NY.  Joel the owner there is a great guy.

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
yoonsung
OP yoonsung New Member • Posts: 19

Thanks!

Ricoh GR II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS R5 GoPro Hero8 Black Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +3 more
yoonsung

Thank you! 
I hope yours arrive soon, too!

yoonsung

That sounds better! 
Hope you get yours around the holidays

yoonsung

Oh, thank you for sharing your tips/opinion.

Since this R5 is very first mirrorless to me(I have been using 5d mark 2 for almost 10 years), I think I should dig into the manual for sure.

yoonsung

Thanks! 
Yes, I think I should do what you said this time. I am so excited to have a new camera in 10 years, and I definitely think this mirrorless camera features new things and I should get used to them.

yoonsung

Good for you to find a decent seller!

That is such a good thing that finding a nice place to rely on in purchase!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads