RF 70-200 F2.8 Still Front Focusing

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
gmanc Forum Member • Posts: 51
RF 70-200 F2.8 Still Front Focusing

I've read through all the threads that started almost a year ago regarding the front focusing issue with the RF 70-200 F2.8 when used at F2.8, 200mm at MFD. The firmware update 1.0.6 was supposed to fix this problem but I haven't seen very much posted since the firmware was issued either positive or negative. I recently received a new RF 70-200 F2.8 and based on the testing I've done with it it seems the problem still exists. It's possible the firmware update may have improved the issue I don't know but based on what I'm seeing the problem is still there. When I focus manually the lens is as sharp as can be at all focal lengths. BTW, I've updated the lens firmware to 1.0.8 and my R5 has 1.2.0. Is anyone else still having this problem and is Canon aware and working on a fix?

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris_Chapterten Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: RF 70-200 F2.8 Still Front Focusing

gmanc wrote:

I've read through all the threads that started almost a year ago regarding the front focusing issue with the RF 70-200 F2.8 when used at F2.8, 200mm at MFD. The firmware update 1.0.6 was supposed to fix this problem but I haven't seen very much posted since the firmware was issued either positive or negative. I recently received a new RF 70-200 F2.8 and based on the testing I've done with it it seems the problem still exists. It's possible the firmware update may have improved the issue I don't know but based on what I'm seeing the problem is still there. When I focus manually the lens is as sharp as can be at all focal lengths. BTW, I've updated the lens firmware to 1.0.8 and my R5 has 1.2.0. Is anyone else still having this problem and is Canon aware and working on a fix?

Also very interested to know this...

highdesertmesa
highdesertmesa Regular Member • Posts: 454

gmanc wrote:

Most report no issues at 200mm MFD with the latest firmware. You may want to exchange yours for another copy or send to Canon for repair.

Make sure when testing in AF mode that you are not handholding – it's too easy to lean forward slightly and move the sensor closer than MFD. So if handholding, move back a few inches from MFD and make sure and use servo mode. In single shot, you will almost always move out of perfect focus before the shot can be recorded.

OP gmanc Forum Member • Posts: 51

highdesertmesa wrote:

gmanc wrote:

Most report no issues at 200mm MFD with the latest firmware. You may want to exchange yours for another copy or send to Canon for repair.

Make sure when testing in AF mode that you are not handholding – it's too easy to lean forward slightly and move the sensor closer than MFD. So if handholding, move back a few inches from MFD and make sure and use servo mode. In single shot, you will almost always move out of perfect focus before the shot can be recorded.

I tested using a tripod (IBIS off) at MFD as well as several other longer distances at 200mm F2.8 and all were slightly out of focus. When I did the test using manual focus all were in focus. I also tested my RF 24-70 and it was spot on so it’s not a camera issue.

highdesertmesa

gmanc wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

gmanc wrote:

I tested using a tripod (IBIS off) at MFD as well as several other longer distances at 200mm F2.8 and all were slightly out of focus. When I did the test using manual focus all were in focus. I also tested my RF 24-70 and it was spot on so it’s not a camera issue.

Sounds like you got a lemon. Return it or send it in for repair. This isn't firmware related.

Sounds like you got a lemon. Return it or send it in for repair. This isn't firmware related.

Do you have a RF 70-200 with newer firmware that you’ve tested yourself to know it’s not firmware related? In reading past posts on the subject I didn’t see any that said they updated the firmware and they no longer had a front focus issue.

highdesertmesa

gmanc wrote:

Do you have a RF 70-200 with newer firmware that you’ve tested yourself to know it’s not firmware related? In reading past posts on the subject I didn’t see any that said they updated the firmware and they no longer had a front focus issue.

I do. It's currently at Canon CPS to fix an IS issue or might be slightly decentered. But the focus has always been spot on. You just haven't read far enough – people with the issue report it's gone. It was only an issue at MFD – if yours is not in focus at distance, too, its obviously not the same issue. You'd have RF 70-200 users raising holy hell if every shot was slightly out of focus. I'm done with this thread – you can hold on to your defective lens and wait for a firmware update that will never come, or you can return it or send it for repair. Your choice!

I do. It's currently at Canon CPS to fix an IS issue or might be slightly decentered. But the focus has always been spot on. You just haven't read far enough – people with the issue report it's gone. It was only an issue at MFD – if yours is not in focus at distance, too, its obviously not the same issue. You'd have RF 70-200 users raising holy hell if every shot was slightly out of focus. I'm done with this thread – you can hold on to your defective lens and wait for a firmware update that will never come, or you can return it or send it for repair. Your choice!

No need to get testy. Counter to your assumption, I did read through every thread I could find and only found one comment where the user ‘thought’ the issue was resolved but wasn’t sure because they hadn’t really tested it yet and many comments that their copy still had issues. That’s why I posted my question. The lens I have is new so it will be returned to the dealer that sold it to me not repaired I was just trying to get feedback from users who had actually owned and tested their copy post firmware upgrade to try to confirm whether it’s a hardware or firmware issue.

highdesertmesa

gmanc wrote:

No need to get testy. Counter to your assumption, I did read through every thread I could find and only found one comment where the user ‘thought’ the issue was resolved but wasn’t sure because they hadn’t really tested it yet and many comments that their copy still had issues. That’s why I posted my question. The lens I have is new so it will be returned to the dealer that sold it to me not repaired I was just trying to get feedback from users who had actually owned and tested their copy post firmware upgrade to try to confirm whether it’s a hardware or firmware issue.

The firmware fix did a good enough job for most of us – it's not perfectly split with 50/50 on either side of the focus point, but it's much better than it was before the firmware update. But if your lens is sharper manually-focused at distance – that's a serious issue I've not seen reported before. It sounds more like a mis-aligned lens element or group or possibly a bad circuit board in the lens.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4456790?page=2

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads