Torn between Canon and Sony (Black Friday/week deals)

Started 3 months ago | Questions
JasonDR Junior Member • Posts: 29
Torn between Canon and Sony (Black Friday/week deals)

The Canon eos r and Sony a7iii are on sale where i live right now, and i am torn between them for different reasons.

I did a lot of research on Sony and i was set on buying the A7iii , the plan was to get  two budget lens as new fullframe shooter. I was going to buy Tamron 28-75mm ($630 ) and Samyang/rokinon 85mm(600$) , which looked like the perfect the deal to me considering the great IQ and price for these two lens.

But then i went to the store and held a Canon EOS R , the feeling of the grip and over all ergonomics just complete blew me away. I guess once you hold canon in your hand its hard to want pick up a Sony again. But then i looked at lens options for EOS R which is 2x or 3x the prices of my lens budget. This really sucks and is keeping me away from Canon.

I understand RF lens are new and expensive but damn those prices are even higher than some of Sony GM lenses and zeiss. I looked at EF lens but i am just lost there , i have no what what i could get and if EF adapter would work well with those EF lens.

Atm, i am leaning towards Sony just because of the lens options and not having to fear adapter issues. The canon 24-105 ii with its f4  and its price ($1300) doesn't sounds as appealing as Tamron 28-75 mm at f 2.8 and half the price of the canon.

What are your recommendations, which options do i have on the canon side for around 1.5K $ ? I would like a great walk around zoom and one portrait lens for that price, i fear i am asking much lol .

Tomorrow, cyber Monday , is the last sale day.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
johncal Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: Torn between Canon and Sony (Black Friday/week deals)

JasonDR wrote:

The Canon eos r and Sony a7iii are on sale where i live right now, and i am torn between them for different reasons.

I did a lot of research on Sony and i was set on buying the A7iii , the plan was to get two budget lens as new fullframe shooter. I was going to buy Tamron 28-75mm ($630 ) and Samyang/rokinon 85mm(600$) , which looked like the perfect the deal to me considering the great IQ and price for these two lens.

But then i went to the store and held a Canon EOS R , the feeling of the grip and over all ergonomics just complete blew me away. I guess once you hold canon in your hand its hard to want pick up a Sony again. But then i looked at lens options for EOS R which is 2x or 3x the prices of my lens budget. This really sucks and is keeping me away from Canon.

I understand RF lens are new and expensive but damn those prices are even higher than some of Sony GM lenses and zeiss. I looked at EF lens but i am just lost there , i have no what what i could get and if EF adapter would work well with those EF lens.

Atm, i am leaning towards Sony just because of the lens options and not having to fear adapter issues. The canon 24-105 ii with its f4 and its price ($1300) doesn't sounds as appealing as Tamron 28-75 mm at f 2.8 and half the price of the canon.

What are your recommendations, which options do i have on the canon side for around 1.5K $ ? I would like a great walk around zoom and one portrait lens for that price, i fear i am asking much lol .

Here,

$1300 for both. I own the Tamron. It' is quite good but does pick up some Chromatic aberration at certain focal lengths. But I use DXO so any issues disappear quite nicely. For the Tamron you'll need an EF adapter but it works fine. That was the widest focal range I could find at a decent price so that's why I went with it. It's no L lens, but hey.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LC6LMD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08C6XBCN6/?coliid=I3JVKN0RMR2UC8&colid=2NL86J0QP6SEY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im

johncal's gear list:johncal's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD +6 more
OP JasonDR Junior Member • Posts: 29

johncal wrote:

JasonDR wrote:

Atm, i am leaning towards Sony just because of the lens options and not having to fear adapter issues. The canon 24-105 ii with its f4 and its price ($1300) doesn't sounds as appealing as Tamron 28-75 mm at f 2.8 and half the price of the canon.

Here,

$1300 for both. I own the Tamron. It' is quite good but does pick up some Chromatic aberration at certain focal lengths. But I use DXO so any issues disappear quite nicely. For the Tamron you'll need an EF adapter but it works fine. That was the widest focal range I could find at a decent price so that's why I went with it. It's no L lens, but hey.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LC6LMD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08C6XBCN6/?coliid=I3JVKN0RMR2UC8&colid=2NL86J0QP6SEY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im

Wow i didnt know Samyang had 85mm for canon , thanks. It delivers excellent images on Sony. I think i will need to find something better than that Tamron.

What are you experience with EF adapters, do you use it ?

johncal Regular Member • Posts: 421

I use the Tamron and a few other EF lenses and the adapter works flawlessly. I use the Canon with the control ring, although you can just get the plain one.

I don't have the 85mm, but I have the 14mm and the build quality is great... if plain. Images look great and motors are so quiet you wouldn't think it works.

Here's an image using the Tamron. It's not tack sharp, but I'm fine with it for what it costs.

johncal's gear list:johncal's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD +6 more
nutraman Forum Member • Posts: 63

JasonDR wrote:

I've settled at the thought, for myself, that ergos are #2 most important in a camera, right behind AF being #1. If a camera sucks to hold or use or shoot with and the photography experience is difficult then I won't own that camera for a long time. Sony's had 10 years to get ergos right and they still stink (for me. I've returned or sold several Sony's over the years and I'm done trying). I'm not crazy about Nikon Z AF nor Panny AF so that leaves Canon. Go for Canon. Grab the RP unless you needs tons of DR and 4K video...I just picked up an RP + 24-240 for $1,050 (canon refurb + returning customers upgrade) and so far it's great. I'm working around the DR issue with ETTR by 1-2 stops in darker conditions. So far so good. (In bright sunlight I'm going to try highlight priority and overexpose 1-2 stops, we'll see how it goes in the shadows) The EOS R has much better DR but the RP deal I got was too good to pass up. Canon is about to eat everyone's lunch. The $199 50mm 1.8 coming next month, the compact 70-200 2.8 and 4.0 coming soon. The unique 600 and 800. Mirrorless owners also want compact lens options, Sony, Panny, Nikon seem to have forgotten this. Canon isn't. A f2.8 compact 70-200, can't beat it! I see Sony losing market share and eventually dropping out in 4-7 years. Panny niche video. Nikon, who knows what will happen to them and I'm a Nikon fan of Nikon DSLRs. So that's another reason to build into Canon and not Sony. IMHO. Here's a down sized image I took 2 nights ago with the RP. I really enjoy the ability to change the AF point on the rear screen while looking through the EVF.

nutraman's gear list:nutraman's gear list
Nikon D3400 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS RP
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,193

There is no need to be "limited" to RF mount lenses. A Canon adapter will work very well with just about every EF lens ever made, and many report that the EF lenses work better with a R than with a Canon DSLR.

As an added bonus, since the release of the R5 & R6 bodies, there seems to be even more people switching to RF lenses, and as a result there is a lot of great EF lenses hitting the second hand market at good prices. The L series lenses are generally very good quality build lenses so even a few years old are close to as-good-as-new.

In general the Sony lenses tend to be more costly than the equivalent Canon EF lenses, and there is obviously a LOT more Canon EF lenses available if you look at the used market.

Picking the right body is more about picking the right lens ecosystem, and I think it is hard to go wrong with Canon lenses (EF or RF).

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads