Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,325
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

I own (and love) my Q2. It is an amazing street camera. I frequently convert the color images to B&W in ON1 Photo RAW. The results are excellent. About two weeks ago, I surrendered to GAS and purchased a Q2M. What I have learned is that everything that M-Monochrom users have been saying for years is true. The difference in B&W image quality is real and it is not trivial. This difference is due to a combination of detail, sharpness and especially tonality. There seems to be almost no limit to how far shadows can be pulled. Some of the prints I have made are astounding. The images almost fly off the paper. Even my wife is impressed. Her immediate response was "Wow!"

Is the Q2M worth its lofty price? For me it is, but I can speak only for myself. In any case, one needs to have a second camera (preferably with interchangeable lenses) for color shooting. In addition to the Q2, I have a CL with a nice set of lenses.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. But let's be real, how many people laying out that price are going to say "I hate it"?

Also can you elaborate exactly what you mean by tonality and how it differs from that of your Q2?

Nope, I'm not going to try to describe the tonality.

I wonder why especially since you made such a point of it in your prior post.

I emphasized that the tonality was exceptional and that shadows seem to have limitless detail. I would add that the prints have a presence and a beautiful radiance that exceeds what I have previously been able to achieve in my B&W conversion images from the Q2. Now my description may mean nothing until you actually see Q2M images for yourself. You may agree with me or disagree. Or you may decide that the difference is real but not important enough to justify the expense. Get your hands on a Q2M, and decide for yourself.

CM99
CM99 New Member • Posts: 11

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

I own (and love) my Q2. It is an amazing street camera. I frequently convert the color images to B&W in ON1 Photo RAW. The results are excellent. About two weeks ago, I surrendered to GAS and purchased a Q2M. What I have learned is that everything that M-Monochrom users have been saying for years is true. The difference in B&W image quality is real and it is not trivial. This difference is due to a combination of detail, sharpness and especially tonality. There seems to be almost no limit to how far shadows can be pulled. Some of the prints I have made are astounding. The images almost fly off the paper. Even my wife is impressed. Her immediate response was "Wow!"

Is the Q2M worth its lofty price? For me it is, but I can speak only for myself. In any case, one needs to have a second camera (preferably with interchangeable lenses) for color shooting. In addition to the Q2, I have a CL with a nice set of lenses.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. But let's be real, how many people laying out that price are going to say "I hate it"?

Also can you elaborate exactly what you mean by tonality and how it differs from that of your Q2?

I emphasized that the tonality was exceptional and that shadows seem to have limitless detail. I would add that the prints have a presence and a beautiful radiance that exceeds what I have previously been able to achieve in my B&W conversion images from the Q2. Now my description may mean nothing until you actually see Q2M images for yourself. You may agree with me or disagree. Or you may decide that the difference is real but not important enough to justify the expense. Get your hands on a Q2M, and decide for yourself.

I agree, the images are amazingly malleable.

CM99's gear list:CM99's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica Q2 Monochrom Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 468

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Better tonality is having smoother transitions between different values (value = a point in the scale from black to white) – basically more shades of gray between dark and light. It gives images made with the Leica Monochrom an almost surreal look where you can have normal contrast but cinematic tonal transitions that span the full Zone System with grace and finesse.

And whomever above was saying there wasn't much sharpness difference between the Q2 and Q2M – I don't agree – at all. The Q2M is noticeably sharper than my GFX 50R with the best GF primes (45/110). On the GFX I can punch in to 200% and the image still looks good, but with a properly-steadied Q2M shot I can hit 300% and it doesn't start looking pixelated/digital until 400% zoom. If someone isn't getting that kind of performance, then a few things may be going on – 1) eyesight issues (don't laugh, lots of people have never had their eyes checked and don't know for sure they can see 20/20), 2) they are not using ISO 100 (ISO 200 is the default, and Leica says it's the Base ISO for the Q2M, but it is NOT – Photos to Photos charts confirm this) and/or 3) they are not stabilizing the camera well enough. The Q2M can look sharp at 100% when hand holding, but it takes ISO 100 and a tripod (or 1/250-500 sec. or higher shutter speed) to get what it's truly capable of. Just fiddle-farting around with the Q2 versus Q2M hand held at 1/50–1/125 sec. in a camera shop will not show you what is achievable with the Mono.

If you have literally ANY digital camera, you can take it with you and "dual-wield" with the Q2M. Using an X100V would be the perfect companion to the Q2M for when you need color. I use the Q-P alongside the Q2M, but the X100V is a much more reasonable choice, mainly due to its smaller size. The compact Ricoh GR III for a color companion might even be better.

highdesertmesa wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Better tonality is having smoother transitions between different values (value = a point in the scale from black to white) – basically more shades of gray between dark and light. It gives images made with the Leica Monochrom an almost surreal look where you can have normal contrast but cinematic tonal transitions that span the full Zone System with grace and finesse.

And whomever above was saying there wasn't much sharpness difference between the Q2 and Q2M – I don't agree – at all. The Q2M is noticeably sharper than my GFX 50R with the best GF primes (45/110). On the GFX I can punch in to 200% and the image still looks good, but with a properly-steadied Q2M shot I can hit 300% and it doesn't start looking pixelated/digital until 400% zoom. If someone isn't getting that kind of performance, then a few things may be going on – 1) eyesight issues (don't laugh, lots of people have never had their eyes checked and don't know for sure they can see 20/20), 2) they are not using ISO 100 (ISO 200 is the default, and Leica says it's the Base ISO for the Q2M, but it is NOT – Photos to Photos charts confirm this) and/or 3) they are not stabilizing the camera well enough. The Q2M can look sharp at 100% when hand holding, but it takes ISO 100 and a tripod (or 1/250-500 sec. or higher shutter speed) to get what it's truly capable of. Just fiddle-farting around with the Q2 versus Q2M hand held at 1/50–1/125 sec. in a camera shop will not show you what is achievable with the Mono.

If you have literally ANY digital camera, you can take it with you and "dual-wield" with the Q2M. Using an X100V would be the perfect companion to the Q2M for when you need color. I use the Q-P alongside the Q2M, but the X100V is a much more reasonable choice, mainly due to its smaller size. The compact Ricoh GR III for a color companion might even be better.

Your description of tonality is a good one, but in order to truly appreciate it, one has to see it with his/her own eyes.

I also agree that the sharpness of the Q2M is significantly greater than that of the Q2.  It isn't even close.  I hate over-sharpened images, but that is not what you see with the Monochrom.  The sharpness is natural and lifelike, and seeing it in a good print or on a monitor can be breathtaking.

gsmith08 Regular Member • Posts: 340

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Ok Rob you convinced me being a long time Zone 10, b&w view camera, landscape photographer that the Q2M is the way to go and in no small part due to your comments on tonality. BTW, my color camera is a Hasselblad X1DII.

The question I have is I am never without a good set of b&w filters and especially a yellow #2. Leica as a new E49 Yellow Filter for $150 or maybe a B+W 49mm Yellow MRC 022M Filter which is a lot cheaper. Do you use filters and what do you recommend?

/gale

gsmith08's gear list:gsmith08's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100S Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4 Zeiss Milvus 18mm F2.8 +3 more

gsmith08 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Ok Rob you convinced me being a long time Zone 10, b&w view camera, landscape photographer that the Q2M is the way to go and in no small part due to your comments on tonality. BTW, my color camera is a Hasselblad X1DII.

The question I have is I am never without a good set of b&w filters and especially a yellow #2. Leica as a new E49 Yellow Filter for $150 or maybe a B+W 49mm Yellow MRC 022M Filter which is a lot cheaper. Do you use filters and what do you recommend?

/gale

My 2 cents is go for a darker filter than you’re used to using for film. Even the 091 dark red will not make the skies black like it does with film printed to a high contrast paper. You will need to use the Dehaze tool in Lightroom to get that kind of effect, and you may want to use a gradient mask to apply it just the sky since it can mess with the tones in the rest of the shot (which can be compensated for by raising the shadows in some cases).

I was going to buy the Leica versions of the color filters, but after trying the Leica UV protective filter, I decided not to. The Leica filter rings are surprisingly made of aluminum and not brass. The Leica UV filter almost got stuck on the lens with very little tightening on my part. Their filters end up either so tight they won’t come off or loose enough that they don’t feel secure. Also it’s a small thing, but the white lettering on the filter ring is very bright, I’m guessing due to the aluminum behind it — doesn’t match the white on the camera and lens, and looks garish by comparison. The B+W filter bronze lettering on the matte black rings matches better, and I enjoy seeing “Made in Germany” on the ring (Leica filters are made in Japan, but they don’t say so on the ring thankfully).

I keep the B+W orange filter on my Q2M as the daily-use filter. I can barely see any effect from the yellow, but something that subtle might be good as a clear filter substitute for some.

LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 2,860

Sorry to pop in, check out Breakthrough Technology filters.
I do like Heliopan and B&W

i also replace the oem lens caps for lenses now with breakthrough technology they are not expensive they are well made as silly as that sounds for a lens cap. The clamping force is great more so when you have filters attached. Customer service at BT has always been very helpful when you call them

Most important is the breakthrough tech warrantee that is literally like 10 or 11 months that’s how confident each filter has a serial number you want to register with them.

gsmith08 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

/gale

Gale, unlike others who have responded, I have no prior experience with shooting B&W film, so I am not an expert on the subject of filters. I can tell you that I am using a light yellow Heliopan filter for general shooting. I am awaiting delivery of medium yellow and orange B+W filters. It seems that better quality filters are in short supply these days, possibly due to supply line delays. My Leica dealer advised against the Leica color filters, more because of poor quality than the ridiculous price.

I hope that you like the QM2, as I feel responsible for your decision to buy it. If you do not, call my lawyer.

Addendum:  With regard to tonality, be sure not to overexpose, as the possibility of recovering blown highlights is poor with a monochrome sensor.  I always use the live histogram to get correct exposure.

David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,753

highdesertmesa wrote:

My 2 cents is go for a darker filter than you’re used to using for film. Even the 091 dark red will not make the skies black like it does with film printed to a high contrast paper. You will need to use the Dehaze tool in Lightroom to get that kind of effect, and you may want to use a gradient mask to apply it just the sky since it can mess with the tones in the rest of the shot (which can be compensated for by raising the shadows in some cases).

My experience with the M10 Mono is in line with this. I mostly use 2-stop B+W orange filters on my Mono lenses. I don't try to replicate the look of film, though…I use film when I want a filmic look. 

I've also experimented with a 1.5-stop Heliopan blue filter to see if I could get something like an ortho look. The filter does take the tonal response in that direction, but it's very subtle.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +9 more
Orsonneke
OP Orsonneke Regular Member • Posts: 289

What still puts me off buying the Q2 Monochrom is the lately discussed  issue with dead pixels in the sensor.I am just waiting on order to be 100 % sure before spending 6000 €.

please I would refer to the Leica camera forum where stumbled upon and reading some forum discussions.
I am still pretty convinced of the gorgeous pictures it is able to take .

Orsonneke's gear list:Orsonneke's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +9 more

Orsonneke wrote:

What still puts me off buying the Q2 Monochrom is the lately discussed issue with dead pixels in the sensor.I am just waiting on order to be 100 % sure before spending 6000 €.

please I would refer to the Leica camera forum where stumbled upon and reading some forum discussions.

If you use Capture One, it's a non-issue, as you can set the Noise Reduction panel's Single Pixel NR to "1" and set that as the default. I don't think Lightroom has that feature, though.

Leica has said that the Q2M should run an automatic dead-pixel cleanup routine every two weeks – many of us reporting the issue have not used the camera for two weeks yet. Leica also said they would be looking into adding an option to manually run the dead-pixel detection feature to a future firmware update.

highdesertmesa wrote:

Orsonneke wrote:

What still puts me off buying the Q2 Monochrom is the lately discussed issue with dead pixels in the sensor.I am just waiting on order to be 100 % sure before spending 6000 €.

If you use Capture One, it's a non-issue, as you can set the Noise Reduction panel's Single Pixel NR to "1" and set that as the default. I don't think Lightroom has that feature, though.

Leica has said that the Q2M should run an automatic dead-pixel cleanup routine every two weeks – many of us reporting the issue have not used the camera for two weeks yet. Leica also said they would be looking into adding an option to manually run the dead-pixel detection feature to a future firmware update.

I upgraded from an old Capture One version to v21 not only to take advantage of the Single Pixel feature but also because I found that C1 handles the Q2M's files better than other programs that I tested (Camera Raw and ON1).

However, for those who do not want to go the C1 route, Photoshop's Dust and Scratches filter also fixes stuck pixels in a snap.  Hence, I have no worries with regard to that particular issue.

Robgo2 wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

Orsonneke wrote:

I upgraded from an old Capture One version to v21 not only to take advantage of the Single Pixel feature but also because I found that C1 handles the Q2M's files better than other programs that I tested (Camera Raw and ON1).

However, for those who do not want to go the C1 route, Photoshop's Dust and Scratches filter also fixes stuck pixels in a snap. Hence, I have no worries with regard to that particular issue.

The only thing that bums me out about C1 with the Q2M is the Dehaze tool is not near as strong for creating dark skies as the same tool in Lightroom – I still have to add adjustments to Levels, Contrast, etc. and manually work out each image.

highdesertmesa wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

Orsonneke wrote:

However, for those who do not want to go the C1 route, Photoshop's Dust and Scratches filter also fixes stuck pixels in a snap. Hence, I have no worries with regard to that particular issue.

The only thing that bums me out about C1 with the Q2M is the Dehaze tool is not near as strong for creating dark skies as the same tool in Lightroom – I still have to add adjustments to Levels, Contrast, etc. and manually work out each image.

Well, you will simply have to decide if you agree with me on C1 doing a better job overall on Q2M files, and if so, is the compromise with the Dehaze tool acceptable.  If you decide to stick with Lightroom, then I presume you have access to PS's Dust and Scratches filter, which works just fine on stuck pixels.

Robgo2 wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

Orsonneke wrote:

Well, you will simply have to decide if you agree with me on C1 doing a better job overall on Q2M files, and if so, is the compromise with the Dehaze tool acceptable. If you decide to stick with Lightroom, then I presume you have access to PS's Dust and Scratches filter, which works just fine on stuck pixels.

C1 is the program I use for everything, including the Q2M, but I don't see much difference between C1 and LR for it. What specifically is better about C1 for Q2M for you?

gsmith08 Regular Member • Posts: 340

highdesertmesa wrote:

gsmith08 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

/gale

I was going to buy the Leica versions of the color filters, but after trying the Leica UV protective filter, I decided not to. The Leica filter rings are surprisingly made of aluminum and not brass. The Leica UV filter almost got stuck on the lens with very little tightening on my part. Their filters end up either so tight they won’t come off or loose enough that they don’t feel secure. Also it’s a small thing, but the white lettering on the filter ring is very bright, I’m guessing due to the aluminum behind it — doesn’t match the white on the camera and lens, and looks garish by comparison. The B+W filter bronze lettering on the matte black rings matches better, and I enjoy seeing “Made in Germany” on the ring (Leica filters are made in Japan, but they don’t say so on the ring thankfully).

I keep the B+W orange filter on my Q2M as the daily-use filter. I can barely see any effect from the yellow, but something that subtle might be good as a clear filter substitute for some.

Greatly appreciate the details and found a Q2M reviewer that also recommends the B+W orange filter so will go for that and their 49mm red. Again thanks.

gsmith08's gear list:gsmith08's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100S Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4 Zeiss Milvus 18mm F2.8 +3 more

highdesertmesa wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

Well, you will simply have to decide if you agree with me on C1 doing a better job overall on Q2M files, and if so, is the compromise with the Dehaze tool acceptable. If you decide to stick with Lightroom, then I presume you have access to PS's Dust and Scratches filter, which works just fine on stuck pixels.

C1 is the program I use for everything, including the Q2M, but I don't see much difference between C1 and LR for it. What specifically is better about C1 for Q2M for you?

I feel that C1 delivers slightly better separation of tones, especially in the midtones. Sharpening and Clarity are also superior, IMO.

Serhan2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,434

From Leica Miami:

B&W ISO SHOWDOWN 2021: LEICA Q2 MONOCHROM / M10 MONOCHROM / Q2 / M10-R

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2021/02/bw-iso-showdown-2021-leica-q2-monochrom-vs-m10-monochrom-vs-q2-vs-m10-r/

Jared Willson Senior Member • Posts: 1,124

Orsonneke wrote:

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

can anyone give advice?

thanks

Whiops—just noticed the age of this thread. Ignore the rest of my post if it is no longer relevant.

Even for black and white I would recommend the color version of whichever camera. Having color data allows you to choose different profiles for B&W conversion that use the color data to assign tonal ranges in the monochrome image. Want darker skies with more contrast? The software can darken blues throughout the image. Want more contrast in earth tones and greens? Choose a camera profile that provides exactly that in your monochrome conversion. I think better B&W results are generally achieved with a color camera. Plus the flexibility of also shooting in color.

That being said, the monochrome does have a couple advantages. First, it performs better in low light. If you find yourself shooting above ISO 1600 a lot and longing for cleaner images the monochrome camera performs better. Second, if you want a really simple workflow for your B&W images the monochrome excels.

I also think the Q2 is a better camera for most people than the M. The digital zoom is effective up to 50mm equivalent, the lens is excellent, the controls are wonderful, the AF is fast and accurate, and you get image stabilization. It even has a useful macro function. One of my favorite cameras of all time, and the best travel and street camera I have ever used. Nearly silent, too, even when compared to an M.

Jared Willson's gear list:Jared Willson's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica SL2 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Leica SL 90-280mm F2.8–4 Hasselblad XCD 30mm F3.5 +8 more
CM99
CM99 New Member • Posts: 11

Jared Willson wrote:

Orsonneke wrote:

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

can anyone give advice?

thanks

Whiops—just noticed the age of this thread. Ignore the rest of my post if it is no longer relevant.

Even for black and white I would recommend the color version of whichever camera. Having color data allows you to choose different profiles for B&W conversion that use the color data to assign tonal ranges in the monochrome image. Want darker skies with more contrast? The software can darken blues throughout the image. Want more contrast in earth tones and greens? Choose a camera profile that provides exactly that in your monochrome conversion. I think better B&W results are generally achieved with a color camera. Plus the flexibility of also shooting in color.

That being said, the monochrome does have a couple advantages. First, it performs better in low light. If you find yourself shooting above ISO 1600 a lot and longing for cleaner images the monochrome camera performs better. Second, if you want a really simple workflow for your B&W images the monochrome excels.

I also think the Q2 is a better camera for most people than the M. The digital zoom is effective up to 50mm equivalent, the lens is excellent, the controls are wonderful, the AF is fast and accurate, and you get image stabilization. It even has a useful macro function. One of my favorite cameras of all time, and the best travel and street camera I have ever used. Nearly silent, too, even when compared to an M.

Buyer beware........I have owned the Q2M for 3 months now & have loved every minute using it. However I do have on order the Q2. These little cameras are highly addictive!

CM99's gear list:CM99's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica Q2 Monochrom Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads