Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 2,904
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

Not sure what others have said.

If you can live with your world in B&W then get the monochrome only version. I am sure you can edit back into color but that is time consuming.

If you want versatility get the Q2 standard version and save $1000.  Spare batteries for the Q2 cost almost $300, if you want a TTl flash you have to drop another $500 at least. I needed those accessories so I did that.

Past that IMO the really right stuff grip for the Q2 is a must have for me.  I found holding the camera difficult much like Fuji X with no substantial grip.

I like the Rock n roll camera straps

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 43,443

brick33308 wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Orsonneke wrote:

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

Well if you are mainly a B&W shooter, go Q2M.- particularly if you shoot in low light as the high iso is pretty great. Just remember you don't have any ability to do post-B&W filters.

I would pick that over the Q2 color if you really can say bye to color. If not the Q2 is still pretty great.

can anyone give advice?

thanks

pretty much agree but would add that unless the photog who primarily shoots b/w is also primarily shooting in low light, then I don't see the advantage of the Q2M b/w images over those that are converted (and with flexibility of color filters) produced by the Q2.

Well the Q2M will still give you more detail for not having to do the demosaic. But you definitively lose the flexibility of post-capture color filters.

To be honest in a way, I see that as a bit of an advantage- you have to make the choices at the time of capture, think more ahead, etc.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,984

Raist3d wrote:

To be honest in a way, I see that as a bit of an advantage- you have to make the choices at the time of capture, think more ahead, etc.

that's a good point, it lends to a more deliberative thought process before pressing the shutter.

all you have to do with the standard Q2 is set monochrome mode and you can shoot in black and white. If you shoot raw only it will preview in color and you decide to stay in color or make the final conversion to b&w

depends like I’ve said if you want to always see things in black and white sure. But sometimes color is so much better. For example I want to see a sunrise or sunset with all the colors

I want to see colorful flowers etc

sure for certain artistic stuff it works. It’s all personal style

LenRivers wrote:

all you have to do with the standard Q2 is set monochrome mode and you can shoot in black and white.

But again, that's the point. On the Q2M the RAW Is B/W.  You have to make it work, there's no other choice.  Either you got it or you didn't.

If you shoot raw only it will preview in color and you decide to stay in color or make the final conversion to b&w

depends like I’ve said if you want to always see things in black and white sure. But sometimes color is so much better. For example I want to see a sunrise or sunset with all the colors

That's only if you care about color. Which is why I qualified my recommendation if you really want to go all B&W.

Oh definitively it's personal.  Just pointing out one advantage I see of the Q2M is the fact that even when you are between a rock and a hard place- B&W is all you have and you have to make it work. That extra "do or die" kind of constraint can push you to a new level of skill.

But again- if you care about B&W only.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

CM99
CM99 New Member • Posts: 11

Raist3d wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

all you have to do with the standard Q2 is set monochrome mode and you can shoot in black and white.

But again, that's the point. On the Q2M the RAW Is B/W. You have to make it work, there's no other choice. Either you got it or you didn't.

Exactly

If you shoot raw only it will preview in color and you decide to stay in color or make the final conversion to b&w

That's only if you care about color. Which is why I qualified my recommendation if you really want to go all B&W.

You can still care about both, my Q2M is used alongside my Canon 5d mkiv.

Oh definitively it's personal. Just pointing out one advantage I see of the Q2M is the fact that even when you are between a rock and a hard place- B&W is all you have and you have to make it work. That extra "do or die" kind of constraint can push you to a new level of skill.

I agree, this is why I bought one, it’s a whole different ball game.

CM99's gear list:CM99's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica Q2 Monochrom Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

CM99 wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

But again, that's the point. On the Q2M the RAW Is B/W. You have to make it work, there's no other choice. Either you got it or you didn't.

Exactly

you should not have to make anything just work  again if one is gunho about something that is a personal choice   Plus if you have the money to burn why not

I do that as well, but as soon as I see my usage slows a lot or my needs change I sell the camera gear used  it represents $100 bills that need to come back

I always sleep on the impulse to be sure as much as I can

Oh definitively it's personal. Just pointing out one advantage I see of the Q2M is the fact that even when you are between a rock and a hard place- B&W is all you have and you have to make it work. That extra "do or die" kind of constraint can push you to a new level of skill.

not really a different thing at all  in all my years no one will be critical of what they do or spend even if it is GAS it would mean they are wasting money   However if one thinks it’s the best money they spent then it is

if one holds on to gear cause they truly enjoy and use it it’s the right decision

biocon Junior Member • Posts: 28

Raist3d wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

I for one, can appreciate the B&W only philosophy. My issue with the Q2M, is that it is considerably more expensive then the Q2.

The Q2 has the advantage of using color channels for b&w conversion, and can be used for color and b&w images. The Q2M has the advantage of being a pure b&w camera with better high iso. A fairly equal trade off in my mind if identically priced. One being $1000 more than the other makes the decision real easy for me.

Then again, perhaps I’m not the typical customer for either if price is a concern, but I sure do like my Q2! We all have our individual criteria and thresholds. There is no wrong choice here, evaluate what’s important to you and pick one.

LenRivers wrote:

CM99 wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

Exactly

you should not have to make anything just work again if one is gunho about something that is a personal choice

Nobody is disputing this is a personal choice.  We are talking about what that personal choice entails if you go for a Q2M.

Plus if you have the money to burn why not

I do that as well, but as soon as I see my usage slows a lot or my needs change I sell the camera gear used it represents $100 bills that need to come back

I always sleep on the impulse to be sure as much as I can

This is always a good idea

not really a different thing at all in all my years no one will be critical of what they do or spend even if it is GAS it would mean they are wasting money However if one thinks it’s the best money they spent then it is

We aren't talking about GAS here. Sure, if you are buying because it's new, shiny and different then that's GAS.  But we are talking about forcing oneself to go all B&W and if that's the kind of photog style you want to go with.

It doesn't change the constraints you are imposing of yourself to go this route, and will force you to do things differently even when you think you can't.  Because there's no other option.

if one holds on to gear cause they truly enjoy and use it it’s the right decision

And to be clear again- yes, this is a personal choice.

-- hide signature --

biocon wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

I for one, can appreciate the B&W only philosophy. My issue with the Q2M, is that it is considerably more expensive then the Q2.

In pragmatic terms that's a consideration. As a concept, we can take money out and evaluate, and see what the concept brings.

The Q2 has the advantage of using color channels for b&w conversion, and can be used for color and b&w images.

Yup, but has the disadvantage of DR, ISO and not pin-point B&W plus always having that option to go back to color (the concept being discussed).

The Q2M has the advantage of being a pure b&w camera with better high iso. A fairly equal trade off in my mind if identically priced. One being $1000 more than the other makes the decision real easy for me.

I think part of the issue is that a monochrome sensor doesn't enjoy the same economies of scale. And we are all talking about Leica in this room too.

Then again, perhaps I’m not the typical customer for either if price is a concern, but I sure do like my Q2! We all have our individual criteria and thresholds. There is no wrong choice here, evaluate what’s important to you and pick one.

Well of course. That doesn't take away advantages for the concept- the decision in the end is up to each individual.

-- hide signature --

Paul JN Contributing Member • Posts: 517

I had an M240 and M246 a few years back. I still miss the M246 because (when you nailed focus) the tonality of the files was sublime. Very special indeed. Having that type of raw file with autofocus is very appealing to me. I would forego the benefits of colour channel control for those amazing files.

Paul JN's gear list:Paul JN's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm GFX 100S +6 more
Orsonneke
OP Orsonneke Regular Member • Posts: 294

I still didn’t make up my mind yet.

looking after reviews, it is now clear to me that:

-you don’t get that much difference in sharpness with the Q2M compared to the Q2.

-you loose flexibility in post.

-however , as being a street shooter going out in the evening as well , the noise advantage is obvious!

Can one of the Q2M shooters tell how many stops in noise you win with the Q2M?

Thanks

Orsonneke's gear list:Orsonneke's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +9 more
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,882

To be honest, I think you're over-emphasizing tiny technical spec differencess; it's very likely these will be irrelevant in most viewing situations. At 40+MP, and with modern demozaicing-algorithms, differences in sharpness will be very much irrelevant, and modern 135-format sensors, even colour-versions, handle low light very well.

The major difference between the Bayer and M-version of the camera is the presence or absence of the colour array filter. Will you embrace its absence? Then go for the M-version, otherwise for the Bayer-version Get the camera you think you will enjoy most.

At 4.18, Mattias gives the advice that pretty well summarizes my attitude to buying cameras:

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,757

Orsonneke wrote:

-you don’t get that much difference in sharpness with the Q2M compared to the Q2.

-however , as being a street shooter going out in the evening as well , the noise advantage is obvious!

From what I've seen the Q2M's noise advantage at higher ISOs is 1.5–1.67 stops.

My take overall is much like Sjak's: if you have any interest in color photography with a 28mm lens, get the standard Q2. IMO the noise factor isn't relevant 'til ~ISO 3200 and not really significant 'til ISO 12500, when the Q2's files start breaking up a bit when viewed at full res. But in real-world use, unless you're regularly making huge prints, even this isn't that big a deal.

Anyway, pic one and start using it!

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +9 more
Carl Schofield Senior Member • Posts: 2,678

Orsonneke wrote:

Thanks

I also struggled with the RGB/MONO choice and had almost decided to go with the RGB version, but in the end chose the Mono.  My Hasselblad 907x/50CII produces fantastic color images so I had no real need for another RGB camera.  The files from the Q2m are just amazing for their tonality and detail, even at very high ISO.

-- hide signature --
 Carl Schofield's gear list:Carl Schofield's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Leica Q2 Monochrom Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Venus Laowa 14mm F4 FF RL Zero-D +2 more
Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,326

I own (and love) my Q2. It is an amazing street camera. I frequently convert the color images to B&W in ON1 Photo RAW. The results are excellent. About two weeks ago, I surrendered to GAS and purchased a Q2M. What I have learned is that everything that M-Monochrom users have been saying for years is true. The difference in B&W image quality is real and it is not trivial. This difference is due to a combination of detail, sharpness and especially tonality. There seems to be almost no limit to how far shadows can be pulled. Some of the prints I have made are astounding. The images almost fly off the paper. Even my wife is impressed. Her immediate response was "Wow!"

Is the Q2M worth its lofty price? For me it is, but I can speak only for myself.  In any case, one needs to have a second camera (preferably with interchangeable lenses) for color shooting.  In addition to the Q2, I have a CL with a nice set of lenses.

brick33308

Robgo2 wrote:

I own (and love) my Q2. It is an amazing street camera. I frequently convert the color images to B&W in ON1 Photo RAW. The results are excellent. About two weeks ago, I surrendered to GAS and purchased a Q2M. What I have learned is that everything that M-Monochrom users have been saying for years is true. The difference in B&W image quality is real and it is not trivial. This difference is due to a combination of detail, sharpness and especially tonality. There seems to be almost no limit to how far shadows can be pulled. Some of the prints I have made are astounding. The images almost fly off the paper. Even my wife is impressed. Her immediate response was "Wow!"

Is the Q2M worth its lofty price? For me it is, but I can speak only for myself. In any case, one needs to have a second camera (preferably with interchangeable lenses) for color shooting. In addition to the Q2, I have a CL with a nice set of lenses.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. But let's be real, how many people laying out that price are going to say "I hate it"?

Also can you elaborate exactly what you mean by tonality and how it differs from that of your Q2?

Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,326

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Is the Q2M worth its lofty price? For me it is, but I can speak only for myself. In any case, one needs to have a second camera (preferably with interchangeable lenses) for color shooting. In addition to the Q2, I have a CL with a nice set of lenses.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. But let's be real, how many people laying out that price are going to say "I hate it"?

Also can you elaborate exactly what you mean by tonality and how it differs from that of your Q2?

Nope, I'm not going to try to describe the tonality.  If you really want to know, rent or borrow a Q2M for one week, and I'm quite confident you will see what I mean.

Also, If I weren't genuinely thrilled with the camera, I would have returned it to the dealer within the allotted time.  I'm not a fool.

cheekz4dayz Forum Member • Posts: 70

Robgo2 wrote:

Damn this definitely isn't helping my G.A.S. 😂

Glad you like it though! Maybe in a few years when it's cheaper used I'll buy one lol

cheekz4dayz's gear list:cheekz4dayz's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica SL2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Leica SL 75mm F2 +1 more
brick33308

Robgo2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Nope, I'm not going to try to describe the tonality.

I wonder why especially since you made such a point of it in your prior post.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads