Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Orsonneke
Orsonneke Regular Member • Posts: 261
Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with  23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

can anyone give advice?

thanks

 Orsonneke's gear list:Orsonneke's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +9 more
JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,266
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2
1

Orsonneke wrote:

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

can anyone give advice?

thanks

Q2M or Q2. Booth will work for you but the option to use color will help.

 JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton +4 more
biocon Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

Orsonneke wrote:

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

can anyone give advice?

thanks

So, mainly a B/W shooter. Are you keeping the Fuji for color, or is the a replacement?

I was where you are a few weeks ago and went with the Q2. I do mostly b/w, but like the color option of the Q2 vs the better higher iso, but also higher price of the Q2M. 
The Q2 does wonderful b/w, and you play with the different color channels when converting, which may not be so important for street work. If you are regularly using iso 6400+, then the Q2M would be worth checking out.

Michal_G
Michal_G New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

+1 on Q2. You can still get stunning BW images but you're not limiting yourself in case you need a color. I know monochrome cameras have better high ISO performance and marginally higher resolution but that will make a difference n 0,05% of images.

Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,797
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2
3

A Monochrom-camera adds a lot of simplicity to the post-processing. To be honest, I prefer to shoot B&W with my M Monochrom, even though e.g. my K-1 is a technically better camera in all numerical aspects, from resolution to dynamic range to whatever. But the lack of colour information adds a lot of speed for me, and also makes me much more concious of what I will shoot in B&W. So for me, the "flexibility" of colour information is overrated (and not useful) when shooting B&W. But that's me

Whether you will want colours at all is a question only you can answer. If you do, get the colour-camera.

 Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
CM99 New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2
1

I have the Q2 M & can highly recommend it. Being able to see the image through the viewfinder before taking the shot really immerses into a black & white world.

FrithjofA Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2
3

Sjak wrote:

A Monochrom-camera adds a lot of simplicity to the post-processing. To be honest, I prefer to shoot B&W with my M Monochrom, even though e.g. my K-1 is a technically better camera in all numerical aspects, from resolution to dynamic range to whatever.

You are completely correct and I can fully understand your argument. However, it comes with a price people easily forget: You add complexity in the shooting since you have to define your B&W look up front while shooting.

Like in the old days of B&W film you need to add and use the appropriate color filter (red, orange or green) to generate the appropriate outcome.

With the color sensor of the Q2 you do not invest and even think about that. You just add color files in the post process via the software and can adjust the image to you liking later.

So if you are a RAW shooter and not not need very high ISO, personally I would go for the Q2. As an additional add on to you personal collection probably highly recommended but not as a replacement for a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23mm lens.

Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,797
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

FrithjofA wrote:

Sjak wrote:

A Monochrom-camera adds a lot of simplicity to the post-processing. To be honest, I prefer to shoot B&W with my M Monochrom, even though e.g. my K-1 is a technically better camera in all numerical aspects, from resolution to dynamic range to whatever.

You are completely correct and I can fully understand your argument. However, it comes with a price people easily forget: You add complexity in the shooting since you have to define your B&W look up front while shooting.

Myself, I don't experience any added complexity during the shooting.

Then again, I prefer to shoot B&W with an OVF, whereas many people may favour an EVF for this purpose.

Like in the old days of B&W film you need to add and use the appropriate color filter (red, orange or green) to generate the appropriate outcome.

In most of my shooting, filters are not useful anyway, due to low light / low saturation. In bright daylight, sometimes I'll walk around with a yellow or orange filter for a bit of extra contrast and/or lowering the highlights, in particular of the sky. But I find that much less time-consuming than fiddling with colour channels in every individual file.

With the color sensor of the Q2 you do not invest and even think about that. You just add color files in the post process via the software and can adjust the image to you liking later.

So if you are a RAW shooter and not not need very high ISO, personally I would go for the Q2. As an additional add on to you personal collection probably highly recommended but not as a replacement for a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23mm lens.

I can understand your point of view too, and I think you explained very well the virtues of a colour-cam for B&W-images.

It all comes down to personal preferences, and therefore, there's no absolute right or wrong; on the contrary, the same question can get 2 equally good but different answers from 2 different persons And I'm not saying a Mono-cam is an absolute necessity for B&W-images: I also make many nice B&W with my Fuji, Pentax, etc; I just happen prefer the process of a Monochrom-camera, which for me is much less time-consuming.

In addition, I would say that when in doubt, I'd recommend a colour-camera over a Mono-cam.

So in conclusion, both a colour and a mono-camera are very good tools, just different. It's just like talking about what type of car we like most: I highly enjoy driving a convertible, whilst others may argue the trunk-space in a 'vert is limited when compared to a wagon.

 Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
christophedameme New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

HI,

I am also a X-Pro 2 shooter, and am quite invested in Fuji gear. I also own a first generation Q. Both systems satisfy my color photo needs.

I however started converting a lot to B&W int he past 3 x years, and have been very attracted to the Q2M.

I really love ambient light low light shooting, as well as night street photo.

I pulled the trigger last week, and received my Q2M on Saturday. Seeing in B&W through the EVF is a great experience, and the camera is amazing if you can live with 28mm FL.

I however wont' depart from my beloved X-Pro 2 and first gen Q. Their color rendering is plenty satisfying.

Hope it helps

 christophedameme's gear list:christophedameme's gear list
Ricoh GR Leica Q Leica Q2 Monochrom Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 +12 more
Le Chef Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2
2

You don’t need a Q2M to see black and white in the EVF - you just adjust the settings to show b&w. I do that with my CL as it helps with framing the image. The output is still color.

David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

Sjak wrote:

It all comes down to personal preferences, and therefore, there's no absolute right or wrong; on the contrary, the same question can get 2 equally good but different answers from 2 different persons And I'm not saying a Mono-cam is an absolute necessity for B&W-images: I also make many nice B&W with my Fuji, Pentax, etc; I just happen prefer the process of a Monochrom-camera, which for me is much less time-consuming.

In addition, I would say that when in doubt, I'd recommend a colour-camera over a Mono-cam.

So in conclusion, both a colour and a mono-camera are very good tools, just different. It's just like talking about what type of car we like most: I highly enjoy driving a convertible, whilst others may argue the trunk-space in a 'vert is limited when compared to a wagon.

This is also how I see it. I absolutely love screwing a 2-stop orange filter onto my lens, mounting the lens on the M10 Mono, setting the ISO to 400 and taking pics as though I'm using Tri-X or HP5+ in an M6. Knowing b&w is my only option puts me in a different mindset.

But I don't have to do it this way to take b&w pics. It's not an either/or thing, just a useful and productive option.

-Dave-

 David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +9 more
FrithjofA Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

I can understand your point of view too, and I think you explained very well the virtues of a colour-cam for B&W-images.

It all comes down to personal preferences, and therefore, there's no absolute right or wrong; on the contrary, the same question can get 2 equally good but different answers from 2 different persons

I completely agree with your perspective. Therefore, we have to through back a set of questions to the TO becomes his personal preferences are the most important once for his decision.

I also like the idea of a monochrome only camera. Once I win in the lottery, I am definitely in the market for such a Leica.

best

F.

mikee_j Regular Member • Posts: 457
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2
2

Le Chef wrote:

You don’t need a Q2M to see black and white in the EVF - you just adjust the settings to show b&w. I do that with my CL as it helps with framing the image. The output is still color.

I was thinking the same. I set my Q-P jpeg setting to monochrome and I see B&W through the EVF

AlexWeih
AlexWeih Regular Member • Posts: 295
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

CM99 wrote:

I have the Q2 M & can highly recommend it. Being able to see the image through the viewfinder before taking the shot really immerses into a black & white world.

Thats also possible with any other Leica (except M).

Just set JPEG Option to Monochrome and I recommend Set High Contrast, and you see the World in B&W trough EVF.

I always have set my EVF in B&W trough JPEG Option..;)

-- hide signature --

I´m in Love with Streetphotography. https://supertramp.myportfolio.com

 AlexWeih's gear list:AlexWeih's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS +1 more
AlexWeih
AlexWeih Regular Member • Posts: 295
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

mikee_j wrote:

Le Chef wrote:

You don’t need a Q2M to see black and white in the EVF - you just adjust the settings to show b&w. I do that with my CL as it helps with framing the image. The output is still color.

I was thinking the same. I set my Q-P jpeg setting to monochrome and I see B&W through the EVF

yeah, it helps to see the scene different... it's assess light better.

-- hide signature --

I´m in Love with Streetphotography. https://supertramp.myportfolio.com

 AlexWeih's gear list:AlexWeih's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS +1 more
AlexWeih
AlexWeih Regular Member • Posts: 295
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

Orsonneke wrote:

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

can anyone give advice?

thanks

Honestly, while scrolling to your flickr account, you may will use your new Leica for Macro-Shots (Nature,Flowers,Insects...) as well?

Go for the Q2 May you will sell your Fuji in the next 3 months

-- hide signature --

I´m in Love with Streetphotography. https://supertramp.myportfolio.com

 AlexWeih's gear list:AlexWeih's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS +1 more
Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,210
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

Orsonneke wrote:

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

can anyone give advice?

thanks

IMHO consider the colour version, as then you can simulate adding colour filters in post... plus still have the viewfinder/JPEGs in B+W.

"JPEG settings:  Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Monochrome High Contrast, all with additional settings for contrast, saturation, and sharpness in 5 steps"

 Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
Asla
Asla Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2

Orsonneke wrote:

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

can anyone give advice?

thanks

Hi!

This may be already thought out, but what about fow? I guess crop mode 35 with q2 and q2m are excellent. In my own photography i have noticed quite big difference in photos I have made with Nikon CPA (28mm eqviv) and Leica X2 (35mm eqviv.) I have noticed that mainly that difference is of different fow's, only little of different camera, software etc.

I admit not having or even considering neither q2 not q2m. I just wanted to bring different viewpoint here...

A s l a

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 43,163
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2
1

Orsonneke wrote:

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

Well if you are mainly a B&W shooter, go Q2M.- particularly if you shoot in low light as the high iso is pretty great.  Just remember you don't have any ability to do post-B&W filters.

I would pick that over the Q2 color if you really can say bye to color.  If not the Q2 is still pretty great.

can anyone give advice?

thanks

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,954
Re: Leica Q2 M or Leica Q2
1

Raist3d wrote:

Orsonneke wrote:

I am looking for a camera to be used in street photography.
mostly using a Fujifilm Xpro 2 with 23/2 lens.

I want to indulge into the Leica world and made a first test with a Q2 at the local store.
However , as being mainly a b/w shooter , the Q2 M attracts a lot!

Well if you are mainly a B&W shooter, go Q2M.- particularly if you shoot in low light as the high iso is pretty great. Just remember you don't have any ability to do post-B&W filters.

I would pick that over the Q2 color if you really can say bye to color. If not the Q2 is still pretty great.

can anyone give advice?

thanks

pretty much agree but would add that unless the photog who primarily shoots b/w is also primarily shooting in low light, then I don't see the advantage of the Q2M b/w images over those that are converted (and with flexibility of color filters) produced by the Q2.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads