calling all photographers

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,800
Re: calling all photographers

colin pithers wrote:

hmmm. A tough situation the wife or photo gear

lucky for me i have an understanding wife..cal her my photrographers assistant.

though not so understanding when in a field in the middle of the night

Gonna be honest, my wife really isn't a problem. If she had her way right now she'd have an R6 in her hands

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,995

I've always had multiple cameras (and associate accresories) Because GAS takes over at different times, I agreed with my wife that she can choose a new car every 3 years & I buy her good/expensive jewelry throughout the year.. This leaves me clear to follow my hobby (buy/sell) - As for getting up at odd hours, here she she makes it quite clear -No Way..  L

-- hide signature --

Trying Harder Than Ever ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more
Thomas166
Thomas166 Regular Member • Posts: 420

I just bought a new camera last month. My wife said "now that you have that camera you don't need anything else to go with it, right?" Fingers crossed I said "SURE"....:-D

Thomas166's gear list:Thomas166's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D5500 Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Leica Eye

Thomas166 wrote:

I just bought a new camera last month. My wife said "now that you have that camera you don't need anything else to go with it, right?" Fingers crossed I said "SURE"....:-D

Fatal Mistake, there are Always accessories - Lady buys a new dress, shoes, bags and jewelry follow as sure as day follows night..    L

-- hide signature --

nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,982
No. Just the opposite.

colin pithers wrote:

do you find your wish list forever growing

Maybe it comes with age. I constantly look at what I can do do lighten my load - not regarding weight but to just simplify my photography.

Money is not an issue. Ideally I'd like to leave the house with one camera that does everything I need. But one of my needs, at times, is pocket-ability. So........ it's not really possible. Can I make it work with 2 cameras? Maybe.

I think it's a curve related to experiences (age?)  One starts out wanting more and more gear and there's a point when you don't want to continually deal with more.  Simplification becomes important.  I recognize that starting out, you may not know what you like to photograph, so experimenting with different gear for different genres comes into play.

I like to say that it's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have. It's relative that there is always something better, newer, more capable, able to do something different, etc. That road never ends and at some point "good enough" has to be good enough.

-- hide signature --

I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.
Life is short - drive a convertible.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
colin pithers
OP colin pithers Regular Member • Posts: 145

ahhh, but women think different

colin pithers's gear list:colin pithers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S9100
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 6,127
GAS never

I don't think I've had issues with GAS since my 20s.

The gear I have is paid for. Not buying gear to fulfill an emotional want makes it easier to afford things that I need to get the images I enjoy.

All hobbies have their version of GAS.

If GAS is a problem then seeking professional help is a good investment.

-- hide signature --

Satan loves the shadows - and the highlights.

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Leica Eye
Re: GAS never

HRC2016 wrote:

I don't think I've had issues with GAS since my 20s.

The gear I have is paid for. Not buying gear to fulfill an emotional want makes it easier to afford things that I need to get the images I enjoy.

All hobbies have their version of GAS.

If GAS is a problem then seeking professional help is a good investment.

I presume the Professional Help you are referring to means either the local camera store or Online!!    --------

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 15,446

colin pithers wrote:

do you find your wish list forever growing

No, I don't have the space to store much new stuff. I can just carry one bag with the Olympus E-M10 kit (14-42 plus 40-150 lenses), and another bag with with the E-M10 IV (14-150 plus 75-300 lenses).

be it additional cameras tripods or all those add-ons you can buy

I bought a Olympus 14-150 lens, because it is more convenient than switching between my 14-42 and my 40-150.

I bought the Olympus E-M10 IV body, so I can shoot uninterrupted video on that with the 14-150 lens, while doing stills on the E-M10 II with the 40-150.

do you go all out and buy it or do you buy based on the amount of use it would get

The 75-300 was bought for moon shots.

It does less noise and more detail than my SH-50 and SH-1 pocket zooms with the same maximum optical zoom. It also does Sky Tower close-ups across the harbor.

Still have to use it with the Gannets In Flight at Muriwai Beach. But mostly the 75-300 just sits in the bag.

lets also take into account the price factor

Both the 14-150 and the 75-300 came at a very favorable price. The E-M10 IV body cost twice as much as the 75-300 lens, benefitting from a tax return.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - E-M10 Mark II and Mark IV, SH-1, SH-50
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
cSalmon Regular Member • Posts: 217
Re: Nope

Maybe it's a good thing, but lately I've been repulsed by the way manufactures seem to be making inferior or bloated gear with the obvious intent to either increase the price or bring forth a revised version.  I don't need f1.4 lenses nor do I want a camera body that doesn't have a specific shutter speed dial.

There is something very freeing about going out with just one lens.

Leica Eye
Re: Nope

cSalmon wrote:

Maybe it's a good thing, but lately I've been repulsed by the way manufactures seem to be making inferior or bloated gear with the obvious intent to either increase the price or bring forth a revised version. I don't need f1.4 lenses nor do I want a camera body that doesn't have a specific shutter speed dial.

There is something very freeing about going out with just one lens.

Leica's will certainly scratch that itch..  L

-- hide signature --

Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,675
Calling all photographers? Wrong website. (NT)

NT

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,393

No.

I have 2 cameras and 3 lenses and need nothing else.

X-T2 and 23mm f2 for street

X-T2 and 18-55 for everything else like walkabout, serious travel shots

LX100 for 'snapshot / memory type travel,' social, and product photography.

Of course if I did landscapes I'd want to add a wide prime and also maybe a 50mm f2 or the 16-55 F2,8

Portraits, 35mm f1.4 plus 56mm f1.2

Actual work, probably 14mm f2.8, 23mm F2, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f12 plus 90mm F2.  Or the 16-55 F2.8 and the 50-140mm F2.8 but meh I might go FF if I went pro (which I don't plan on) plus flash, strobes etc.... and a much more powerful PC ha ha

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Before you say (or post in our context) = THINK.
Is what you're going to say - True. Helpful. Important (or Inspiring.) Necessary. Kind.

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads