calling all photographers

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
colin pithers
colin pithers Regular Member • Posts: 145
calling all photographers

do you find your wish list forever growing

be it additional cameras tripods or all those add on,s you can buy

do you go all out and buy it or do you buy based on the amount of use it would get

lets also take into account the price factor

colin pithers's gear list:colin pithers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S9100
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 14,350
Re: calling all photographers

I purchase or rent equipment based on utility.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
Professional photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more
JeffSlade
JeffSlade Regular Member • Posts: 496

colin pithers wrote:

Right now it seems. I'm sticking my foot into the realm of astrophotography.

If I find I enjoy the activity with all its required post processing effort, then my list will start growing again.

-- hide signature --

I believe in wabi-sabi :a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. I appreciate beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/billpoplawski/albums/with/72157716942456506

JeffSlade's gear list:JeffSlade's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
rurikw
rurikw Veteran Member • Posts: 3,231

colin pithers wrote:

not much but it's been way beyond my means for decades.

the nice thing about little add-ons is that they are often affordable and ease the ache for that super duper camera/lens for a while. I try to remind myself of all the things I still have to learn about/with my present gear.

do you go all out and buy it or do you buy based on the amount of use it would get

I can't afford 'going all out'. Except for film gear (but I'll get there eventually if I stay healthy) all my stuff does get some use so I guess I've been somewhat successful with the latter.

That's the main determinant for me. In a way it makes life easier despite occasional (mild) frustration. I try to remind myself that in the big picture I'm incredibly privileged. Also, I'm an amateur who's gotten some paid assignments and since my gear was up to those, do I have anything to complain about? + seeing the great work some can do with similar or lesser gear puts one back on track.

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +28 more
colin pithers
OP colin pithers Regular Member • Posts: 145

i hear that.

myself i tend to learn with what I have got then as i progress  i buy more based on how much use it would get..i.i getting keen on Astro photrography so next purchase will be a tracker

that will be based on price and how often i can get to use it

Fujifilm FinePix S9100
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,033

One of the positives to come out of this year has been a greater appreciation of the gear I have and less interest in always seeking something more or better. Being restricted to my local area for weeks let me discover a new approach to photography which is really satisfying and for which my current gear is more than adequate.

-- hide signature --

"You should take photos of whatever you want. That's punk" - Joe Strummer

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
colin pithers

the same i appreciate  the gear i have and do not look to get better only to add as my hobby progress.s

Fujifilm FinePix S9100
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,421

colin pithers wrote:

No

be it additional cameras tripods or all those add ons you can buy

No

do you go all out and buy it

If I want something enough I buy it

or do you buy based on the amount of use it would get

That's back to front for me - if I won't use it I don't buy it so I only buy things I expect to use

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

BadExample Regular Member • Posts: 169

I’m on a self-imposed 9 to 12 month hold. I decided to spend a little on add-on junk for my iPhone, practice with it and rediscover the joys photography once yielded for me. With new models rolling out soon, I hope we’ll see prices on some of the older models drop. A year from now, I might be able to check off many or all the “wants.” Right now, I’d have just go with the “needs,” which happens to bring in some of the “wants.” I’ll be moving into a jungle environment that’s pretty tough on electronics, so the big “need” is a sealed system. That alone forces me above what I want to spend up front, so right now, I would have to give up on mirrorless (a strong “want”).

~~~I do understand the huge bang for the buck for cams that were released just a few years ago~~~

I finally convinced my lovely better half to retire early 😀😀😀 She’s a nurse, so that’s not chump change. So, I can’t justify to myself spending $2K US or so on a mirrorless with one lens (right now). Let a year go by and I should be able to save some or all of the money and get what I *really* want 🙂

IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,773

colin pithers wrote:

Of course not.

As soon as I have a 50 f1.2 in the collection, along with a 135 f2 and maybe a 300 f2.8, I reckon the wish list will stop growing. Then I'll just need a few 100-400s, maybe pad out the fleet with a few 24-105Ls to replace the 15-85s. And then I'll be done. Only need to buy in a few 28-300s to replace the 35-350s. And maybe add a 5th 70-200.

It's not so much a price or cost problem as a wife problem.

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
BadExample Regular Member • Posts: 169

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

colin pithers wrote:

No

No

That's back to front for me - if I won't use it I don't buy it so I only buy things I expect to use

Gerry, your last statement sure hits home these days. If I can’t wear it, eat it, or take a picture with it, I don’t want it!

colin pithers

hmmm. A tough situation  the wife or photo gear

lucky for me i have an understanding wife..cal her my photrographers assistant.

though not so understanding when in a field in the middle of the night

Fujifilm FinePix S9100
KAAMBIC
KAAMBIC Regular Member • Posts: 438

colin pithers wrote:

For a hobby, i have to take into account MPG so to speak. But yes it is ever growing, or shifting may be a better adjective. I've been through many systems and brands, back and forth, formats too, to find what suites me best. Im fairly stable now in where im at but lenses are always something i'd like more of.

I like to experiment, i like to test things, so it seems it will always be a game of what can i afford next. All in all it's still cheaper than sipping beer twice a week a the bar like some guys do, and my family gets nice photos out of it.

-- hide signature --

"Somewhere on a toilet wall
I read the words, 'You form a line,
to formalize, the former lies'
and I finally saw the truth"...

KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,123

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

colin pithers wrote:

No

No

If you have been at it for a while, it gets to be either sufficient or you shift priorities. Or sift and winnow. A hobbyist can now obtain some equipment that would have been dream stuff twenty years ago. I probably have too much for my actual needs. But keep that revelation between us girls.  

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Veteran Member • Posts: 4,342

There is a limit on what you can buy, and practical reasons to buy things.

If you are only going to use an item a few times and it is expensive then it might be better to rent.

I am figuring I will need a tripod in 2024, but still do not know if I will buy one yet.  I don't use most of such assiting as it is.

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 +3 more
supersargas Contributing Member • Posts: 523

I restrict myself to the stuff I am 100% sure I want. For example, I want a specific 35 1.2, a sturdy tripod, a colorimetry course, a few extra cards, etc.

I also peek at stuff I might want, like some way to mount an optical standalone viewfinder for my mirrrorless.

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,437

Same here,  However, if I do buy something I find I don't use, I'm not very good at re-selling.  After all, you never know 

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
mickdeblood Forum Member • Posts: 99

I'm happy with my current gear, my lenses go from 16 to 400 for the 5dmk111, i used a AE program slr for years and really  only wanted a digital replacement  for that, along the way i have picked up a couple fujifilm bodies.

i would like 5dmkiv though !

mickdeblood's gear list:mickdeblood's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 40D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +9 more
CJAM Forum Member • Posts: 59

Tim Reidy Productions wrote:

I am figuring I will need a tripod in 2024, but still do not know if I will buy one yet. I don't use most of such assiting as it is.

That's good forward-planning ....... what are you planning in the next 3 years where you are so sure you won't need one for at least 36 months ??

CJAM's gear list:CJAM's gear list
Canon PowerShot A510 Canon PowerShot S80 Olympus TG-5 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J2 +9 more
TravelLurker Forum Member • Posts: 85

My wish list peaked and then went downhill.

I realise that  for example while a 70-200 f/2.8 is a nice lens to own (and I did) there's no point in adding more kit. It was too big, too heavy to carry round thus I never used it.

Same with flash diffusers,graduated ND filters and so on.

I guess it depends on your style of photography. Mostly I like hand-held travel photos. You soon get very tired of carrying heavy kit all day or trying to get it onto planes.

My wish list really is for all kit that does not exist yet. A wish that camera companies would look at all the amazing tech in the latest iPhone and emulate this, thus cameras could be physically smaller, lighter and producer better images in low light etc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads