Cannot get Olympus OI.Share working with OMD-EM5 II on iPhone

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
M43Dirk New Member • Posts: 14
Cannot get Olympus OI.Share working with OMD-EM5 II on iPhone

Hi fellow MFT lovers!

I cannot connect my OMD-EM5 II to work with Olympus OI.Share.

- The OI. Share app on my iPhone reads the QR code on the camera

- App tarts easy set-up and shows the button 'Start Setup'

- After pressing this button is it suggests a connection to the Wifi of my camera

- I agree

- After about 10 seconds the wifi connection disappears (no Wifi symbol visible anymore) and the app tells me it cannot connect to my WiFi

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

JuliePDX New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Cannot get Olympus OI.Share working with OMD-EM5 II on iPhone

Here are the steps I follow.

1) select the WiFi option on the camera

2) go to iphone and select the camera WiFi name. It will look like E-M5MKIi-...  input the Bluetooth passcode  you only need to input the code the first time.  When I get the check that I’m connected...

3) open OI.Share and import or use the remote option.

-- hide signature --

Jappdx

JuliePDX's gear list:JuliePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III
Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,258

JuliePDX wrote:

Here are the steps I follow.

1) select the WiFi option on the camera

2) go to iphone and select the camera WiFi name. It will look like E-M5MKIi-... input the Bluetooth passcode you only need to input the code the first time. When I get the check that I’m connected...

3) open OI.Share and import or use the remote option.

That is how to do it but you may need to find a way to keep your iphone from automatically switching to WIFI (or 4G/5G) with internet access. I couldn't figure it out with my Samsung S8+ so I used an older one. The E-M5 III keeps the WIFI signal much better than the II.

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
JuliePDX New Member • Posts: 14

I have not experienced the phone changing networks on me.  Once I’m connected to the camera network, my iPhone 7 or iPad stay connected

-- hide signature --

Jappdx

JuliePDX's gear list:JuliePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III
rbl Forum Member • Posts: 99

I had the same problem.  Then I read an article that suggested you put the iPhone in Airplane mode first to turn off your wifi, and O.I Share connected fine to the camera...

Dick

Chris DC Regular Member • Posts: 469

Try deleting the camera from the phones list of connections. Reset the camera and do the process all over again. But make sure you disconnect the phone from the camera before disconnecting the camera from the phone.

this works for me.

Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,560
Bluetooth

Try turning Bluetooth off on your iPhone - it's been known to somehow interfere with Wifi connections.

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,912

M43Dirk wrote:

Hi fellow MFT lovers!

- After pressing this button is it suggests a connection to the Wifi of my camera

- I agree

- After about 10 seconds the wifi connection disappears (no Wifi symbol visible anymore) and the app tells me it cannot connect to my WiFi

Go into settings on the iPhone and select the camera WiFi, then go back to OI.Share.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
joeletx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,380

M43Dirk wrote:

Hi fellow MFT lovers!

- I agree

On my S8+ Android phone, after more than probably 20 seconds, a warning message came up saying no internet connection. If I ignore (escape on Android) and dismiss the message bringing me back to the OI.Share screen, the bottom connection (E-M1 II) said "On" and is ready to roll.

Ever since I updated the new OI.Share three weeks ago, the warning "no internet connection" is gone, the WIFI range symbol disappeared and automatically came back with an exclamation mark (!) indicated WIFI connection warning; but the bottom connection symbol said "On" and is ready to go. All of this takes a little while, so may be that you did not give it enough times IMO. My new E-M1 III connected to the android phones the same way, effortless I thought.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads