Stepup ring with lenshoods

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Neverland76uk Forum Member • Posts: 50
Stepup ring with lenshoods

Can Olympus  lenses like the 12-100 or 40-150 f2.8 use their lens hoods if you use a step up ring 72-77?

Or are their universal lens hoods for this ?

Neverland76uk's gear list:Neverland76uk's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
Samuel Dilworth
Samuel Dilworth Contributing Member • Posts: 742
Re: Stepup ring with lenshoods

There is about 83.5 mm of clear space inside the hood for the 40–150 mm f/2.8.

I don’t have a step-up ring or 77 mm filter to test it, but that should be more than enough for a 77 mm filter ring, assuming a typical ~1.5 mm bezel (adding ~3 mm to the diameter of the threads for a total diameter of ~80 mm).

That said, a part of the hood’s attachment assembly produces a ledge around the lens’s [72 mm] filter threads. This ledge is fractionally (by ~0.5 mm) higher than the end of the lens (that is, the ledge is higher than the end of the lens’s filter threads). So if the step-up ring extends straight out to the sides rather than tapered forward, it will be prevented from completely seating against the lens by the hood’s attachment system. There would still be sufficient thread engagement to hold the step-up ring securely, but it would not be elegant engineering. Some care may be required to avoid crushing plastic parts (the ledge) of the hood attachment assembly while screwing in the step-up ring.

Stizzu68 Regular Member • Posts: 267

No

At least with the 40-150

The lens hood is much much wider than the lens but the part that attaches to the lens is narrow and so the hood cannot be attached with a 72-77 step-up ring adapter attached to the lens.

You can try to attach the hood and then the step-up filter.

I did not manage it and I nearly scratched the lens by trying to remove the ring. So I will never try again.

Stefano

Samuel Dilworth

Stizzu68 wrote:

I did not manage it and I nearly scratched the lens by trying to remove the ring. So I will never try again.

The hood for this lens can be fitted and then retracted. The retracted position allows good access to the filter ring – except, as I previously noted, that it creates a ledge fractionally higher than the tip of the lens.

Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,023

If you need a hood then I would recommend an inexpensive screw-on collapsible lens hood. This will screw onto the outer filter and also let you turn your CPL filter as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=77mm+collapsible+lens+hood&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

My two main lenses are my Pl 8-18 (67mm filter) and 12-100 (72mm filter). I use step up rings on the 8-18 to attach my filters to shoot waterfalls at slow shutter speed. Often the light is soft so I so not need a hood. For protection slap on a generic 72mm lens cap onto the 67-72mm step up ring.

i have used step-up rings for almost 15 years and occasionally a collapsible hood. Never a problem. However, be aware that collapsible hood can cause vigentting at wide angles - more often when used without a steup up ring as the stepup ring offers more room due to the wider radius. This is not a big issue unless the sun is at the edge and needs to be blocked since a collapsible hood can be folded back in two seconds to remove vignetting and still act as a bumper

try one, they are inexpensive and since they collapse, they take up almost no space

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +10 more

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

Stizzu68 wrote:

The hood for this lens can be fitted and then retracted. The retracted position allows good access to the filter ring – except, as I previously noted, that it creates a ledge fractionally higher than the tip of the lens.

Do you have this lens and such a ring? I

f yes please show me how to fit it. I would really like to use it. I bought this step up ring to fit filters on both 300 and 40-150.

And I can tell you that is not working.

You can place the ring in front of the lens but it is so tight that there is no way to screw it in. The hood retracts but also with the retracted hood the step-up ring will be entirely inside the hood. If you try you will then risk damaging the lens when you try to get it out again.

Stefano

Albert Valentino wrote:

If you need a hood then I would recommend an inexpensive screw-on collapsible lens hood. This will screw onto the outer filter and also let you turn your CPL filter as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=77mm+collapsible+lens+hood&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

My two main lenses are my Pl 8-18 (67mm filter) and 12-100 (72mm filter). I use step up rings on the 8-18 to attach my filters to shoot waterfalls at slow shutter speed. Often the light is soft so I so not need a hood. For protection slap on a generic 72mm lens cap onto the 67-72mm step up ring.

i have used step-up rings for almost 15 years and occasionally a collapsible hood. Never a problem. However, be aware that collapsible hood can cause vigentting at wide angles - more often when used without a steup up ring as the stepup ring offers more room due to the wider radius. This is not a big issue unless the sun is at the edge and needs to be blocked since a collapsible hood can be folded back in two seconds to remove vignetting and still act as a bumper

try one, they are inexpensive and since they collapse, they take up almost no space

Yes, such a rubber collapsible hood should solve the problem.

I just bought the step-up ring to use a Hoya starscape 77mm filter on both the 300 and on the 40-150 for astrophotography.

Where I live I cannot buy it so I will have to wait for the end of the pandemic or pay 50USD of customs clearance costs for an 8USD hood.

Right now I use a rolled matt black drawing board as a hood but it is clearly not a long term solution

Stefano

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,995

I tried just that with the 12-100 and no, it doesn't clear. A 77mm threaded hood would be needed, I added a 72 pola instead.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Samuel Dilworth

Stizzu68 wrote:

Do you have this lens and such a ring? If yes please show me how to fit it. I would really like to use it. I bought this step up ring to fit filters on both 300 and 40-150.

I have the lens but not a suitable step-up ring. The end of my lens looks like this:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/5310/J6t2RL.jpg

(It seems that DPReview has broken the external image sharing feature. Sorry I can’t embed the image directly.)

Attaching the hood creates a ledge that protrudes slightly beyond the end of the lens (that is, it protrudes beyond the end of the filter thread). Only by a very small amount, less than 0.5 mm, which is much less than the depth of thread machined onto a typical filter or step-up ring. So a step-up ring could still be screwed in, just not fully seated against the lens. Instead it would seat against this plastic ledge.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/8066/P33Qcx.jpg

When the hood is extended (shown here partially extended for clarity), the ledge does not move:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/4536/R3lMWU.jpg

You can place the ring in front of the lens but it is so tight that there is no way to screw it in. The hood retracts but also with the retracted hood the step-up ring will be entirely inside the hood. If you try you will then risk damaging the lens when you try to get it out again.

Does your lens and hood look like mine?

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

Stizzu68 wrote:

Do you have this lens and such a ring? If yes please show me how to fit it. I would really like to use it. I bought this step up ring to fit filters on both 300 and 40-150.

I have the lens but not a suitable step-up ring. The end of my lens looks like this:

(It seems that DPReview has broken the external image sharing feature. Sorry I can’t embed the image directly.)

Attaching the hood creates a ledge that protrudes slightly beyond the end of the lens (that is, it protrudes beyond the end of the filter thread). Only by a very small amount, less than 0.5 mm, which is much less than the depth of thread machined onto a typical filter or step-up ring. So a step-up ring could still be screwed in, just not fully seated against the lens. Instead it would seat against this plastic ledge.

When the hood is extended (shown here partially extended for clarity), the ledge does not move:

I have the original so should be the same as  your

No ring

With ring

It is so tight that cannot be screwed in

A reason more to dislike this hood.

Stefano

BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,043

Stizzu68 wrote:

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

Stizzu68 wrote:

I have the original so should be the same as your

No ring

With ring

Stefano

I don't have that combination, but did you try using an empty filter ring as a spacer? I have a stepped filter that wouldn't fit in my bayonet hood until I noticed it did with a filter attached. It just moved it far enough forward that it cleared.

stateit
stateit Senior Member • Posts: 1,378

I took a chunk out of my wallet a couple of days ago and bought a 72mm cpl for my 40-150 as I couldn't get my 77mm to fit nicely. It arrived this afternoon.

The upside is being able to have a cpl on two lenses on separate bodies.

Now, where's that daylight gone?

stateit's gear list:stateit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +10 more
OP Neverland76uk Forum Member • Posts: 50

Reason I asked what cause I was thinking of getting the kase magnetic stepup rings (promo on the 77mm filter pack) and the idea was to leave stepup ring on there permanently but sounds like that won't work

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +7 more

BBbuilder467 wrote:

Stizzu68 wrote:

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

Stizzu68 wrote:

I have the original so should be the same as your

No ring

With ring

Stefano

I don't have that combination, but did you try using an empty filter ring as a spacer? I have a stepped filter that wouldn't fit in my bayonet hood until I noticed it did with a filter attached. It just moved it far enough forward that it cleared.

No, I did not try it but it is a good idea. The question will be if it will produce some vignetting, especially at 40 mm focal length. I will give it a try but I have first to find another 77 mm filter, as  I normally use square filters.

Stefano

Seasider Forum Member • Posts: 72

I have the Oly 40-140 f2.8 and I permanently leave my Breakthrough 72 - 77 mm step up ring on the lens so I can readily use 77mm polarisers and ND filters (Breakthrough and Hoya).

There is no snagging on the Olympus hood whatsoever i.e the hood works perfectly.

I meant 40-150!

OP Neverland76uk Forum Member • Posts: 50

Thank you all for your insights.

Dori C
Dori C New Member • Posts: 21

Neverland76uk wrote:

Can Olympus lenses like the 12-100 or 40-150 f2.8 use their lens hoods if you use a step up ring 72-77?

Neverland - for the 12-100 it matters what you mean by does the lens hood work with a step-up ring.

If you mean get the hood on and off while the step-up ring is on the lens, no the lens hood doesn't work.

If you mean have the lens hood on the lens in the shooting position and then screw on the step up ring - it sort of works.

But you can't take the lens hood off the camera. And that is the fatal flaw.

It is not easy to get the step up ring on - you don't have room to use your fingers. As one person said you can slip the ring and scratch your glass. How I've tested it is  to use my 77mm lens cap on the step-up ring to screw on the step-up ring (mine has ridged grips that that make it easy to turn).

In real life I wouldn't do this because the reason I'd use this would be to make use of circular polarizers and I'd be scared that polarizer thread and the step-up ring thread would jam.

Then turning the lens cap/filter wouldn't take the step-up ring off the lens. You don't have room to get your fingers in there to pry the filter and ring off and personally i'm not sure you can fit a tool either. In that case I think you'd have to break the lens hood off (and its a pretty nice hood and I bet not a cheap replacement).

So I take the lens hood off to use step up rings with my good 77mm filters and have a couple of older, not quite as good 72 mm filters if I feel I really need to leave the hood on.

Dori C's gear list:Dori C's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm XP80 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J4 +13 more
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,770

Dori C wrote:

Neverland76uk wrote:

Can Olympus lenses like the 12-100 or 40-150 f2.8 use their lens hoods if you use a step up ring 72-77?

Neverland - for the 12-100 it matters what you mean by does the lens hood work with a step-up ring.

If you mean get the hood on and off while the step-up ring is on the lens, no the lens hood doesn't work.

If you mean have the lens hood on the lens in the shooting position and then screw on the step up ring - it sort of works.

But you can't take the lens hood off the camera. And that is the fatal flaw.

It is not easy to get the step up ring on - you don't have room to use your fingers. As one person said you can slip the ring and scratch your glass. How I've tested it is to use my 77mm lens cap on the step-up ring to screw on the step-up ring (mine has ridged grips that that make it easy to turn).

In real life I wouldn't do this because the reason I'd use this would be to make use of circular polarizers and I'd be scared that polarizer thread and the step-up ring thread would jam.

Then turning the lens cap/filter wouldn't take the step-up ring off the lens. You don't have room to get your fingers in there to pry the filter and ring off and personally i'm not sure you can fit a tool either. In that case I think you'd have to break the lens hood off (and its a pretty nice hood and I bet not a cheap replacement).

So I take the lens hood off to use step up rings with my good 77mm filters and have a couple of older, not quite as good 72 mm filters if I feel I really need to leave the hood on.

This is my solution to the problem. I find the Olympus lens hood for the 40-150 f2.8 to be on the large side for normal use and fitting polarizers of any size inside the hood makes them difficult to adjust. So a 72mm to 77mm step up ring and a 77mm metal telephoto lens hood, fit the adaptor to the lens, the 77mm filter to the adaptor and the lens hood to the filter. turn the lens hood and you adjust the filter. The hood is itself a step up ring with a filter diameter of 82mm at the open end for a lens cap and approx 36mm long, it does not vignette at any focal length. without a filter fitted just the lens hood it fits nicely in my bad where with the original hood it is difficult to fit.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads