Question on R5 Image Processing

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Noogy
Noogy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,351
Question on R5 Image Processing

I have raw files from my EOS R with file size range of 40-45mb a piece, while my 32mp M6II would range from 35-40mb a piece. In my 12-core 9th Gen i7 desktop machine that runs on nVidia GT1050ti GPU and SSD, to batch process/convert to JPEG 5 raw files would take me approx:

• EOS R - 109 seconds
  • M6II - 134 seconds
  • 6D - 56 seconds
  • All processed on SSD then later on moved to HDD

While my PC specs are just slightly above average, I was wondering if I would need to also start upgrading my machine in the event I purchase the R5. For obvious reasons, I did not have to upgrade more than a year ago when I moved from the 5DMIV to the EOS R.

What's the file size range of an R5 raw file and how long does it take to convert it into either TIFF or JPEG?

All figures here btw are using Canon's proprietary DPP (digital lens optimization on), landscape profile, all other settings at default). I also don't have any storage issue because I have more than adequate cloud subscription and 8TB of HDD that's only 40% full on a machine with an OS that runs on 512gb SSD.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +11 more
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Blokfluitist
Blokfluitist Contributing Member • Posts: 686
Re: Question on R5 Image Processing

I’ve had no issues processing R5 files on my 2018 iMac. I did decide to use CRaw which saves a smaller file and I haven’t had any quality issues with that so far.

Rose
-----
https://www.facebook.com/roseatkinsoncreative

Blokfluitist's gear list:Blokfluitist's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +4 more
PicPocket Veteran Member • Posts: 4,172

No drastic differences observed when moving from 5D IV to R5. There would probably have been some if I bothered to sit down and measure, but the point I am making is the difference doesn't feel perceptible enough for me to sit down and spend any time on it

I say, get the R5. Then you will know yourself. In any case, it won't be something that will cripple your workflow.

-- hide signature --
 PicPocket's gear list:PicPocket's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +12 more
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,317

Noogy wrote:

I have raw files from my EOS R with file size range of 40-45mb a piece, while my 32mp M6II would range from 35-40mb a piece. In my 12-core 9th Gen i7 desktop machine that runs on nVidia GT1050ti GPU and SSD, to batch process/convert to JPEG 5 raw files would take me approx:

• EOS R - 109 seconds
  • M6II - 134 seconds
  • 6D - 56 seconds

While my PC specs are just slightly above average, I was wondering if I would need to also start upgrading my machine in the event I purchase the R5. For obvious reasons, I did not have to upgrade more than a year ago when I moved from the 5DMIV to the EOS R.

What's the file size range of an R5 raw file and how long does it take to convert it into either TIFF or JPEG?

All figures here btw are using Canon's proprietary DPP (digital lens optimization on), landscape profile, all other settings at default). I also don't have any storage issue because I have more than adequate cloud subscription and 8TB of HDD that's only 40% full on a machine with an OS that runs on 512gb SSD.

I did have to build a new PC when I bought the 32 MP M6ii last year.  DPP is definitely pokey, but my beef isn’t about the converting times (I just take a break and check my email).  It’s the rendering delay as I make my initial adjustments.  I’d love to see a more efficient software build!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
Chris_Chapterten Regular Member • Posts: 207

R2D2 wrote:

Noogy wrote:

• EOS R - 109 seconds
  • M6II - 134 seconds
  • 6D - 56 seconds

I did have to build a new PC when I bought the 32 MP M6ii last year. DPP is definitely pokey, but my beef isn’t about the converting times (I just take a break and check my email). It’s the rendering delay as I make my initial adjustments. I’d love to see a more efficient software build!

R2

I completely agree. It’s difficult to make adjustments when there is so much delay in the rendering. I like to move the slider back and forth quickly to be able to eye ball the results. It’s a shame that the colours in Adobe software are so poor...

Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,085

Noogy wrote:

• EOS R - 109 seconds
  • M6II - 134 seconds
  • 6D - 56 seconds

Though you didn’t mention the amount of memory you are running, I can assure you your pc specs are above average.

That depends largely on whether you are shooting RAW or cRAW and what program you are using to batch convert?

Also, I don’t know why you are using dpp, it is agonizingly slow and resource intense.  Yes, there has been some criticism with adobe’s profiles for the R5 though one can easily find other profiles or use other PP software.

Noogy
OP Noogy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,351

Adam2 wrote:

Noogy wrote:

• EOS R - 109 seconds
  • M6II - 134 seconds
  • 6D - 56 seconds

Though you didn’t mention the amount of memory you are running, I can assure you your pc specs are above average.

That depends largely on whether you are shooting RAW or cRAW and what program you are using to batch convert?

Also, I don’t know why you are using dpp, it is agonizingly slow and resource intense. Yes, there has been some criticism with adobe’s profiles for the R5 though one can easily find other profiles or use other PP software.

32gb RAM and converting RAW not cRAW. DPP still provides the best results for Canon raw files based on my experience. And yes it's quite slow even on a capable system.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +11 more
Noogy

R2D2 wrote:

Noogy wrote:

• EOS R - 109 seconds
  • M6II - 134 seconds
  • 6D - 56 seconds

I did have to build a new PC when I bought the 32 MP M6ii last year. DPP is definitely pokey, but my beef isn’t about the converting times (I just take a break and check my email). It’s the rendering delay as I make my initial adjustments. I’d love to see a more efficient software build!

R2

That's actually another concern I have. My rendering on EOS R raw file, after I apply something as simple as Landscape settings, is anywhere from 10-20 seconds. That's a considerable lag when editing multiple files. From what I have surfed over the net, it seems a more powerful GPU will shorten render times dramatically, especially when using 4k display.

-- hide signature --

NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,549

I just glanced at the recommended setup for raw video

" The following environment is required in order to use "RAW movie tool".

[Recommended]
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 3.1GHz x2 or faster
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB or more
Storage: Read 400MB/s or faster"

That video card is fairly high end. The storage is at LEAST Sata SSD. I don't think working off an HDD fits.

Okay you're doing stills so you can likely get by with less but if you're working off an HDD dropping in an SSD is going to be a lot cheaper than trying to find a high end GPU at the moment.

https://id.canon/en/support/0200608202/1

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
Noogy

NickZ2016 wrote:

I just glanced at the recommended setup for raw video

" The following environment is required in order to use "RAW movie tool".

[Recommended]
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 3.1GHz x2 or faster
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB or more
Storage: Read 400MB/s or faster"

That video card is fairly high end. The storage is at LEAST Sata SSD. I don't think working off an HDD fits.

Okay you're doing stills so you can likely get by with less but if you're working off an HDD dropping in an SSD is going to be a lot cheaper than trying to find a high end GPU at the moment.

https://id.canon/en/support/0200608202/1

Yes my system runs on SSD. However, wow! The requirement for video editing / rendering is even more costly / demanding

-- hide signature --

noms78 Regular Member • Posts: 185

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

Noogy wrote:

• EOS R - 109 seconds
  • M6II - 134 seconds
  • 6D - 56 seconds

R2

I completely agree. It’s difficult to make adjustments when there is so much delay in the rendering. I like to move the slider back and forth quickly to be able to eye ball the results. It’s a shame that the colours in Adobe software are so poor...

/rant on

I don't like the processing of the vast majority of the R5 / R6 / 5D4 photos I see on the web. Im still trying to find R5 samples on Flickr that would entice me to upgrade. Seems like most people who currently buy R5 are bird photographers.

I also hate the heavily edited images that are becoming commonplace in landscape photography. Hate instagram - the quality of photos is rubbish (low res/compressed) compared to Flickr. There is too much crap on Flickr and skyscrapercity now. Its getting harder and harder to find "inspiration" for the type of photography I am into.

/ rant off

noms78's gear list:noms78's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,094

noms78 wrote:

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

Noogy wrote:

• EOS R - 109 seconds
  • M6II - 134 seconds
  • 6D - 56 seconds

R2

/rant on

I don't like the processing of the vast majority of the R5 / R6 / 5D4 photos I see on the web. Im still trying to find R5 samples on Flickr that would entice me to upgrade. Seems like most people who currently buy R5 are bird photographers.

I also hate the heavily edited images that are becoming commonplace in landscape photography. Hate instagram - the quality of photos is rubbish (low res/compressed) compared to Flickr. There is too much crap on Flickr and skyscrapercity now. Its getting harder and harder to find "inspiration" for the type of photography I am into.

/ rant off

In the interest of learning, would you mind sharing some examples of what type of processing and look that appeals to you ?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Tom-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,336
DPP4 vs Capture One 20

This discussion got me curious about processing and conversion speed. I've been using Capture One for years and am familiar with it. I just barely know how to use DPP4.

Below are examples of an image processed with Capture One 20 and with DPP4.

Capture One produced a jpeg in 7.5 seconds. And that occurs in the background, so I can start work on the next image right away. Adjustments are quick, so feedback from making adjustments is just about instantaneous.

DPP4 took 10 times as long: 75 seconds to produce a jpeg. Adjustments usually aren't all that quick.

As for image quality, my lack of knowledge of using DPP4 means that someone used to using DPP4 could probably do better than what I did. So the image quality comparison is less valid than the timing comparison. Also these aren't full size as I reduced them to improve transfer times.

Capture One 20

DPP4

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5
steveg
steveg Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: DPP4 vs Capture One 20

I have an R5 and have not found the conversion time to be noticeably slower than my 5D MK III files.  As pointed out though, I have found the time to make adjustments unacceptable.  I am currently using a four year old Alienware 15" laptop.  I just ordered a Dell XPS 17 with 32 GB of memory, 2 TB SSD, UHD Display, and NVIDIA 2060 6GB.  This should give me a big difference over my old PC.

steveg's gear list:steveg's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +8 more
Nimonus Regular Member • Posts: 138

steveg wrote:

I have an R5 and have not found the conversion time to be noticeably slower than my 5D MK III files. As pointed out though, I have found the time to make adjustments unacceptable. I am currently using a four year old Alienware 15" laptop. I just ordered a Dell XPS 17 with 32 GB of memory, 2 TB SSD, UHD Display, and NVIDIA 2060 6GB. This should give me a big difference over my old PC.

You will be disappointed.

Slow rendering of DPP is mostly caused by software.

Look at the conversion progress bar,  it's from age of windows 95 if not WIN3.1. The DPP doesn't look like know to utilize the latest PC or MAC hardware.

I am always wondering, since the jpg process can be finished at light speed in camera, why can't they do it on computer ? Or their magic DIGIC processor and OS  is better than latest CPU + GPU with Windows 10 or MAC 10?

photomxp0 Forum Member • Posts: 95

Noogy wrote:
All figures here btw are using Canon's proprietary DPP (digital lens optimization on), landscape profile, all other settings at default).

Hi Noogy - DPP has GPU support but it's disabled by default. Enabling may help.

Preferences -> Image Processing 2 -> Graphics processor settings* -> use graphics processor for image processing

Nimonus Regular Member • Posts: 138

photomxp0 wrote:

Noogy wrote:
All figures here btw are using Canon's proprietary DPP (digital lens optimization on), landscape profile, all other settings at default).

Preferences -> Image Processing 2 -> Graphics processor settings* -> use graphics processor for image processing

Sorry to step in.

My one is RTX2060, no difference (or at least i can not sense) at everything to turn it on or off.

Noogy

Nimonus wrote:

photomxp0 wrote:

Noogy wrote:

Sorry to step in.

My one is RTX2060, no difference (or at least i can not sense) at everything to turn it on or off.

I confirm that my GPU is enabled but rendering and conversion remains quite sluggish.

-- hide signature --

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,198

steveg wrote:

I have an R5 and have not found the conversion time to be noticeably slower than my 5D MK III files. As pointed out though, I have found the time to make adjustments unacceptable. I am currently using a four year old Alienware 15" laptop. I just ordered a Dell XPS 17 with 32 GB of memory, 2 TB SSD, UHD Display, and NVIDIA 2060 6GB. This should give me a big difference over my old PC.

Very few laptops have the grunt of even a mid-range desktop. This is because the laptop CPUs are so heavily throttled back to reduce heat and power consumption that they are nowhere close to a desktop CPU.

Think about the size of even a stock Intel CPU cooling fan & heatsink and an average desktop 700W power supply (and obviously the "infinite" mains power supply) and compare that to the cooling and power supplies from even a decent laptop like a XPS 17 - that will tell you why the laptop can never house a CPU of similar grunt to a desktop (except in very rare & expensive cases perhaps).

As an example, here is a benchmarking comparison between a 3rd gen i5 desktop CPU and a 10th gen i5 laptop CPU, and the ancient desktop CPU is still 50% faster than the brand new laptop CPU.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3340-vs-Intel-Core-i5-10210U/m2710vsm819403

If you want "real" performance get a desktop (or spend massive dollars on a very high spec gaming laptop) - and perhaps use something other than DPP.

In all seriousness, I just try to plan my conversion so that I am not waiting for DPP. I might go to DPP, open 1,000 RAW files, apply lens corrections and DLO, do a decent number of "spot checks" on whether I want to change WB settings or Picture Styles, and once done wait until the evening when I am not going to use my desktop in the evening, and start the conversion to TIFF and walk away.

Come through in the morning and it is all done.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
noms78 Regular Member • Posts: 185

BirdShooter7 wrote:

noms78 wrote:

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

Noogy wrote:

• EOS R - 109 seconds
  • M6II - 134 seconds
  • 6D - 56 seconds

R2

/rant on

/ rant off

In the interest of learning, would you mind sharing some examples of what type of processing and look that appeals to you ?

Thanks

Canon DPP 4, standard picture profile, desaturate colours to 85%. the desaturation makes images look less "digital" and closer to film/fuji look. I think any brand can produce nice colors when processed correctly

noms78's gear list:noms78's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads