Canon Pro 10 sat for 2 years

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
RED i Senior Member • Posts: 1,810
Canon Pro 10 sat for 2 years

Anyone  ran into any issues with not using their Pro 10 for a year + Did it work normal after flushing the heads?

-- hide signature --

(Yes I do take and have photos and they're grainy) http://bluei.ca

 RED i's gear list:RED i's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +1 more
Philip Eihuyar
Philip Eihuyar Regular Member • Posts: 453
Re: Canon Pro 10 sat for 2 years

RED i wrote:

Anyone ran into any issues with not using their Pro 10 for a year + Did it work normal after flushing the heads?

I would replace the carts with new OEM carts and when the printer is started up, the new ink will flush into all the channels and all should be well. It is better to start fresh just to avoid any problems. Or, if you do not want to do that, remove each cart and shake it to equalize the particles that will have settled. It is using pigment ink which has particles which settle out in to the bottom of cart.

OP RED i Senior Member • Posts: 1,810
Re: Canon Pro 10 sat for 2 years

Philip Eihuyar wrote:

RED i wrote:

Anyone ran into any issues with not using their Pro 10 for a year + Did it work normal after flushing the heads?

I would replace the carts with new OEM carts and when the printer is started up, the new ink will flush into all the channels and all should be well. It is better to start fresh just to avoid any problems. Or, if you do not want to do that, remove each cart and shake it to equalize the particles that will have settled. It is using pigment ink which has particles which settle out in to the bottom of cart.

Yah I was going to buy a new set of carts and try it just don't know much about printers so no idea how solid dyes can get.

-- hide signature --

(Yes I do take and have photos and they're grainy) http://bluei.ca

 RED i's gear list:RED i's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +1 more
palombian Regular Member • Posts: 242
Re: Canon Pro 10 sat for 2 years

If the ink has dried in the carts it also will be in the printhead. I ruined printheads using the printer cleaning cycles (they are made to sell ink :)).

Personally I would remove the printhead and bath it a night in a bottom of demineralised water (up to the ink inlets).

Dry with paper towel and a hairdryer (or let try on a warm place) and reinstall.

Apply some pressure on the carts to see if the ink is still liquid and the outlet sponge is wet. If so you could try to reinstall, but stop if you can't get a clean nozzle check after 2 or 3 cleaning cycles.

Success!

 palombian's gear list:palombian's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M6 II +22 more
mikling Regular Member • Posts: 225
Re: Canon Pro 10 sat for 2 years
1

If the ink has dried out, it is unlikely that you will dissolve it with any water or windex if it is OEM ink then it is pigment and not dye. The OEM pigment is a very tough when it dries and one reason why Canon bakes in maintenance cycles in its operation....for a reason. Same for Pro-1000. Once dried OEM pigment  resin becomes very hard to dissolve without some aggressive solvents.

Before doing ANYTHING do as little as possible first.

Remove the tanks, shake them to determine if there is any ink inside. If there is, pop in and just let go, do a nozzle check and see what you have. You might need to do nothing.

museo Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Canon Pro 10 sat for 2 years

mikling wrote:

If the ink has dried out, it is unlikely that you will dissolve it with any water or windex if it is OEM ink then it is pigment and not dye. The OEM pigment is a very tough when it dries and one reason why Canon bakes in maintenance cycles in its operation....for a reason. Same for Pro-1000. Once dried OEM pigment resin becomes very hard to dissolve without some aggressive solvents.

Before doing ANYTHING do as little as possible first.

Remove the tanks, shake them to determine if there is any ink inside. If there is, pop in and just let go, do a nozzle check and see what you have. You might need to do nothing.

If by chance the print head is permanently clogged and does not work, I have a spare print head taken out of a canon Pro 10 that I am willing to sell.  Send me a PM if interested.

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Re: Canon Pro 10 sat for 2 years

I had a pro 9000 that sat for two years, including a summer in an uncooled storage unit, that worked with no problem when I fired it up to sell.

Of course pigment may be different.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads