Best lens for a Sony a6400 Mirrorless ????

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
The Von-ographer
The Von-ographer New Member • Posts: 21
Best lens for a Sony a6400 Mirrorless ????

Hi, I have a Sony a6400 mirrorless (E or FE mount) and on my trip to Uluru last week I noticed a black dot ( a chip/scratch) is on all of my pics. I can photoshop them out but it time to replace the lens. I broke the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera. Its ok, but i want a more professional lens but my max budget is $1200 AUD ($1000 US).

My research came up with these 3 options..... (I looked at the Sony G lens range but they are way too dear for my little Mirrorless.. i only paid $800 for the body!)

Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS

Sony E 16-70mm F4 Carl Zeiss ZA OSS

Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Thank you.

This is what I already have:

The Von-ographer's gear list:The Von-ographer's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a6400 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,350
Re: Best lens for a Sony a6400 Mirrorless ????

The answer depends on what you want to do with it. What type of photography do you do?

The Von-ographer
OP The Von-ographer New Member • Posts: 21

Autonerd wrote:

The answer depends on what you want to do with it. What type of photography do you do?

1. Portraits of kids/family. (want a good aperture range)
2. Pics of kids on MTB bikes doing jumps or riding on trails (loads of shadows) and kids at soccer games. (I already have an A mount/convertor for an old zoom lens which works fine)
3. Landscapes
4. Holiday snaps / beach pics

Im basically wanting to replace the 18 to 55mm I got a chip/scratch on last week whilst on holiday, but i want a better lens.... the reviews are the one i have thats damaged says its just a basic lens.... for beginners.. I want more.... I want a more professional grade lens. I do all my pictures for free for the kids club. So as I dont get paid I dont want to spend $2000 on a lens. I used to have a DLSR but i never took it as it was to heavy to carry around on holidays. (Went to India last year and left it in the hotel as it was annoying)

Sony SLT-A57 Sony a6400 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,825

Two that you don't have on your list. The 18-135 and the 16-55/2.8. The E 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS is very popular for general uses. It has a longer focal length range than your current lens, and is generally given very good reports for optical performance. I don't if the seasonal savings in the US are available there but I'd expect there would be savings on most lenses. It does have OSS which can be handy on the A6400 which doesn't have IBIS.  I'm quite happy with my 18-135.

Sony E 16-55mm f/2.8 G quite a bit more expensive but is a fast and optically excellent lens.  It doesn't have OSS.

The 18-105 is a constant f4 as is the 16-70.  It's a rather bulky lens compared to the others.  It's pretty comparable to the 18-135 optically (reviews can be handy to check on any of these lenses.)  With power zoom it's somewhat better suited for video than the smaller, more compact 18-135.  The 16-70/4 is kind of expensive and perhaps either lens to lens variations and/or optical performance maybe not up to it's price.

The 24-70/4 is OK, but with a 24mm wide end, isn't as convenient as the others on aps-c cameras.  Many don't find it wide enough.

I'm wondering a little bit if the spot you are seeing on your images might not be a dust spot on the sensor.  I've got a spot on mine and it only showed up when I tried some video which resulted in a smaller aperture than I usually use.  Not sure how a chip or scratch might show up.

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,374
Is your lens really broken?

The Von-ographer wrote:

Hi, I have a Sony a6400 mirrorless (E or FE mount) and on my trip to Uluru last week I noticed a black dot ( a chip/scratch) is on all of my pics. I can photoshop them out but it time to replace the lens. I broke the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera. Its ok, but i want a more professional lens but my max budget is $1200 AUD ($1000 US).

The dot on your pictures is almost certainly not from your lens. It is most probably dirt on your sensor. You can check for this by taking 2 pictures, one with the lens wide open and one with the lens at f/16. If you have dirt on your sensor, the dot will be much more visible at f/16. Dirt can be removed either by you (with a sensor cleaning kit) or by others (for money).

Is this what you're referring to when you say "I broke the 18-55 lens"? Or did you actually break the lens, like by dropping it on a rock?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Handsome90 Contributing Member • Posts: 584

The Von-ographer wrote:

My research came up with these 3 options..... (I looked at the Sony G lens range but they are way too dear for my little Mirrorless.. i only paid $800 for the body!)

Have you looked into adapting (by using an adapter) your A mount (Sony DT) lenses on to your A6400 camera?

The Von-ographer

Handsome90 wrote:

Have you looked into adapting (by using an adapter) your A mount (Sony DT) lenses on to your A6400 camera?

Yes i already have the adaptor and still have my 18-55mm and my zoom from my old DLSR which i can use... but they also just came with the basic bundle package.. and are now over 8 years old.

I want a proper good quality lens... not a beginner lens now....

Image stabilization ... fast speed for getting images of kids jumping on bikes etc and a good aperture range. the beginner range just isnt as good anymore for what i want.

The Von-ographer
Re: Is your lens really broken?

Leonard Migliore wrote:

The Von-ographer wrote:

The dot on your pictures is almost certainly not from your lens. It is most probably dirt on your sensor. You can check for this by taking 2 pictures, one with the lens wide open and one with the lens at f/16. If you have dirt on your sensor, the dot will be much more visible at f/16. Dirt can be removed either by you (with a sensor cleaning kit) or by others (for money).

Is this what you're referring to when you say "I broke the 18-55 lens"? Or did you actually break the lens, like by dropping it on a rock?

Thanks.. I took a few pics at different zoom and yes.. there were 2 spots.. so I cleaned the back on my 18-55mm lens and no different. I blew into the camera itself and now i only have 1 dot! So i think you maybe correct Ive gotten some dust/dirt stuck in there from Uluru.....  Will look into buying a cleaning product to clean inside teh camera sensor.

I had seen a mark on the front of my lens... but after what you wrote and went and cleaned the front properly and it was a bit of tough grit when i rubbed harder etc..

What a novice! Never had that happen before..... and i wa so looking forward to getting another new lens! hahahahahha Might investigate the 2nd hand market instead now....

Thanks

Handsome90 Contributing Member • Posts: 584
Re: Is your lens really broken?

The Von-ographer wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

The Von-ographer wrote:

Thanks.. I took a few pics at different zoom and yes.. there were 2 spots.. so I cleaned the back on my 18-55mm lens and no different. I blew into the camera itself and now i only have 1 dot! So i think you maybe correct Ive gotten some dust/dirt stuck in there from Uluru..... Will look into buying a cleaning product to clean inside teh camera sensor.

I had seen a mark on the front of my lens... but after what you wrote and went and cleaned the front properly and it was a bit of tough grit when i rubbed harder etc..

What a novice! Never had that happen before..... and i wa so looking forward to getting another new lens! hahahahahha Might investigate the 2nd hand market instead now....

Thanks

Phew, Good to hear it’s not broken!

lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,975

The Von-ographer wrote:

It looks like you found all the reasonably-priced E-mount OSS lenses. You could try using the Lens Feature search to make sure. There just aren't that many lenses of the type you're looking for.

I have this crazy idea that moving to a used A6500 or A6600 (both have IBIS) would cost more in the short-term but give you more (and cheaper), lens choices in the long run. It would be great if you could use the SAL1650 f/2.8, a truly top-notch A-mount DT lens. In the USA, Sony will still sell one to you for US$800 but the last time I checked used ones were going for US$300.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +26 more
The Von-ographer

lehill wrote:

The Von-ographer wrote:

It looks like you found all the reasonably-priced E-mount OSS lenses. You could try using the Lens Feature search to make sure. There just aren't that many lenses of the type you're looking for.

I have this crazy idea that moving to a used A6500 or A6600 (both have IBIS) would cost more in the short-term but give you more (and cheaper), lens choices in the long run. It would be great if you could use the SAL1650 f/2.8, a truly top-notch A-mount DT lens. In the USA, Sony will still sell one to you for US$800 but the last time I checked used ones were going for US$300.

Do you mean this lens???

https://www.camerapro.com.au/9027-sony-e-16-55mm-f-2-8-g-aps-c-lens.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs70gm9N7-WUGAiEvS5cAWTSsCQdiKQ4vebVbagqu9Ima9yZLbmFXKmEaAmKdEALw_wcB

I have an amount to e mount converter which works great... so i can buy any a mount lens as well. And i can see some good A mount version on Ebay for sale for only $500

Also found this?

Sony SAL-1680Z Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T DT 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 cameras lens

One sale on Ebay as well. Never bought a second hand lens

lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,975

The Von-ographer wrote:

lehill wrote:

Do you mean this lens???

https://www.camerapro.com.au/9027-sony-e-16-55mm-f-2-8-g-aps-c-lens.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs70gm9N7-WUGAiEvS5cAWTSsCQdiKQ4vebVbagqu9Ima9yZLbmFXKmEaAmKdEALw_wcB

No, the SEL1655G is an E-mount lens. Nice lens, but expensive and isn't stabilized (no OSS). You mentioned you needed stabilized lenses.

The SAL1650 is an A-mount lens with built-in SSM focus motor. It doesn't have OSS but it's really good, fast (f/2.8), and cheap. It's a logical step up from your SAL1855 f/3.5-5.6.

Get a SAL1650 if you can be OK with a non-OSS lens. It has all the requirements to work with your adapter and A6400.

I have an amount to e mount converter which works great... so i can buy any a mount lens as well. And i can see some good A mount version on Ebay for sale for only $500

Also found this?

Sony SAL-1680Z Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T DT 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 cameras lens

The SAL1680Z does not have a built-in focus motor (no SAM, no SSM). It may not work with your adapter. Sony makes five different A- to E-mount adapters. Each one has different capabilities.

Please don't start buying random A-mount lenses for your A6400 without learning more.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +26 more
Andersonm Contributing Member • Posts: 522

You're definitely looking for a zoom lens? Sigma makes some cheap fixed Sony E-mount lenses that are also sharp.

Andersonm's gear list:Andersonm's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,419

The Von-ographer wrote:

There is no "best" lens; only a lens or lenses that suits your own individual needs. Unless you can define those precisely we can't really help.

Hi, I have a Sony a6400 mirrorless (E or FE mount) and on my trip to Uluru last week I noticed a black dot ( a chip/scratch) is on all of my pics. I can photoshop them out but it time to replace the lens. I broke the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera. Its ok, but i want a more professional lens

What do you mean by that? There's no such thing as "professional" lens; if you mean "better" you need to explain what it is about the lens you have that is letting you down. I see from your later posts that there is, in fact, no damage to the lens.

but my max budget is $1200 AUD ($1000 US).

These are al relatively slow lenses. There's nothing wrong with that but in terms of light gathering they are only slightly better than the zoom lenses you already have (and significantly slower than your primes).

This covers the focal length range of your 18-55 and part of your 55-200.

This gives you slightly (12.5% each way) more fields of view than your 18-55.

This gives narrower field of view than your 18-55.

I can't see any worthwhile difference with these to what you already have.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

The Von-ographer

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

The Von-ographer wrote:

There is no "best" lens; only a lens or lenses that suits your own individual needs. Unless you can define those precisely we can't really help.

Hi, I have a Sony a6400 mirrorless (E or FE mount) and on my trip to Uluru last week I noticed a black dot ( a chip/scratch) is on all of my pics. I can photoshop them out but it time to replace the lens. I broke the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera. Its ok, but i want a more professional lens

What do you mean by that? There's no such thing as "professional" lens; if you mean "better" you need to explain what it is about the lens you have that is letting you down. I see from your later posts that there is, in fact, no damage to the lens.

These are al relatively slow lenses. There's nothing wrong with that but in terms of light gathering they are only slightly better than the zoom lenses you already have (and significantly slower than your primes).

Wow. Thanks Gerry.... I was looking for a faster lens with image stabilisation built in and the a6400 doesnt have it built into the camera body.

I take the majority of my pictures of kids on mountain bikes. So i need fast speed and quick focusing.. and often the light is in the shade as I am out of the tracks with them and i can have 12 kids go by in 20 secs! And i dont want to miss each one.

Good to know that the lens I am looking at aren't any better. the little research I did pointed to the G range in Sony for a more professional lens. I dont want a large body camera and i had one and never took it out! I want a light one with a good lens that i can easy carry in a small bag.

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,419

The Von-ographer wrote:

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

The Von-ographer wrote:

Wow. Thanks Gerry.... I was looking for a faster lens with image stabilisation built in and the a6400 doesnt have it built into the camera body.

Stabilisation is obviously a good thing in the circumstances you describe below. It makes up to a large extent for the slowness of the lenses so the fact that they are all f/4 isn't a big thing.

I take the majority of my pictures of kids on mountain bikes. So i need fast speed and quick focusing.. and often the light is in the shade as I am out of the tracks with them and i can have 12 kids go by in 20 secs! And i dont want to miss each one.

Of the lenses you mention the 18-105 is the most versatile so I'd say it is the best choice for this job.

Good to know that the lens I am looking at aren't any better. the little research I did pointed to the G range in Sony for a more professional lens.

SAs I've said, "professional" doesn't really mean anything in relation to lenses. The G series is a little better than the most basic lenses but for what you are doing I doubt if you'll find a visible difference.

I don't want a large body camera and i had one and never took it out! I want a light one with a good lens that i can easy carry in a small bag.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,825

With fast moving subject matter, you are likely to want fast shutter speeds to freeze motion, perhaps doing a pan now and then to get a sharp bicyclist and a blurred surrounding.  Not having stabilization in either the body nor the lens won't make too much difference for that kind of shooting.  The listed zooms, and others, aside from the high performance/high price 16-55/2.8 are f4 and slower (although some of the variable apertures start at f3.5 then drop.

You might want to consider a fast prime.  Perhaps the Sony 35/1.8 OSS.  It's got a fast aperture and OSS when useful for less dynamic subject matter/lower light.  You might need to consider a longer lens depending on the situation on how close you can get to the riders.  Good open daylight, a slower/longer lens might well be fine.  If in trees or lower light, maybe not.

The Von-ographer

Thanks for all your help. I think with my price bracket ($1000 AUD) these are the 2 that keep getting mentioned.

I need image stabilisation as i have a a6400 (which had none) and they seem good ????

Id go for a 16 - 70mm.. but cant find a good one with image stabilization ??? as I dont need a large zoom to be honest..... and I cant afford a $2000 lens

The Von-ographer

Craig Gillette wrote:

With fast moving subject matter, you are likely to want fast shutter speeds to freeze motion, perhaps doing a pan now and then to get a sharp bicyclist and a blurred surrounding. Not having stabilization in either the body nor the lens won't make too much difference for that kind of shooting. The listed zooms, and others, aside from the high performance/high price 16-55/2.8 are f4 and slower (although some of the variable apertures start at f3.5 then drop.

You might want to consider a fast prime. Perhaps the Sony 35/1.8 OSS. It's got a fast aperture and OSS when useful for less dynamic subject matter/lower light. You might need to consider a longer lens depending on the situation on how close you can get to the riders. Good open daylight, a slower/longer lens might well be fine. If in trees or lower light, maybe not.

So.. you're saying i need a portrait lens with small aperture for fast speed?? ie f1.8

or a zoom.... I happy to get a zoom instead.... i just assumed that they used a lower zoom for the shots and waited til riders were close. i used my 55-200.. sony recently and it was very good... still a tad bluuured on some jump.. focused on the tree and not the rider... but was ok.

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,265

Did you see this: Tamron announces f/2.8 17-70?

At USD 799 it should be within your budget.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads