Geelong, Australia

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
robbo d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,103
Geelong, Australia

Welcome to my current hometown, which is situated 75km south west of Melbourne in the state of Victoria at the entrance to the Bellarine Peninsula. It has a population of about 260,000 and is a fast growing satellite of the state Capital.

I arrived here just over two years ago from the far West of Australia in Perth and getting use to the cooler climate similar to my native New Zealand and the southerly blasts which accompany living here.

It's a picturesque place with a beautiful waterfront, small boat harbour, a river which has great walkways and not far from the renowned Bells Beach which is near the southern coastal town of Torquay. It's also the gateway to the Great Ocean Road and the "12 Apostles" limestone monoliths close to the southern coast.

All images taken on my K3, usually with the 18-135, occasionally the 12-24, 55-300 & Bigma but I will admit in advance the slipping in an image or 2 taken on my N***n ..... (sshhh don't tell the moderators)

Sunrises and waterfronts here go hand in hand - The Jetty with restaurant & bar.

Cycling and walking along various areas of waterfront. Here the girl in question (another photographer) we met 5 minutes earlier inadvertently became the photographed, while cycling on the promenade. ( I couldn't resist the composition ) Shot from the nearby children's pool fence and old cafe building.

Several Kilometers of waterfront walking area's, the iconic jetty an the recently arrived Ferry which operates daily trips to Melbourne CBD

I believe these wooden sculptures and many others dotted around the foreshore were put here in the 1980's depicting various lifestyles and heritage of the city.

Plenty of yachts moored in the western bay and a small boat harbour in the Eastern Beach.

The Town Christmas tree is a floated into place each year, changes colour, plays music and has strobe lights

There's a good mix of classic Australian heritage buildings and........

...... new high rise apartments and office towers starting to appear and take the load of big brother Melbourne up the road.

This image is the 'imposter in the room', looking back to the CBD area from the promenade with boat harbour to right, permanently placed ferris wheel and car parking to the left, which gives immediate beach access. The water is sandy and shallow with loads of families here on good days.

Not far away from town on the south coast is Torquay. Another gem of waterfront. A bit more prone to rugged weather and surf, such as Bells Surf Beach. However on a nice day.... plenty of cafe's and bars plus miles of coastline.

Only a kilometer or two in a direct line from the waterfront is Point Henry, which was the site of an old Aluminium factory, now being removed. It is one of the favourite spots for kite surfing in our region. The image here was taken on the K3/Bigma combo .... don't look too closely because the AF got confused when both appeared in the same frame. The guy in front is a work colleague of mine from Spain.

Had to throw in a pet photo .... my wife keeping our little guy under control while shooting some Kite surfers

A small port just to the north of the CBD ships grain, fuel and soon to be the base for Ferries to the southern state of Tasmania

Not yet a fully polished Gem, there are a few obvious relics of a recent era including this old powerhouse, now home for Graffiti art. It has massive potential for waterfront development but nobody has been brave enough to spend the $$. Don't look to close if your offended easily....

Just over the hill behind the CBD is this ....... the Barwon River, home to rowing, about 20km of pathways and if your very very very lucky, able to spot a Platypus upstream.

So while it often appears stunning, there is the view across the bay which also includes a few smoke stacks. I loved this image as a contrast of ocean use but I also have this strange desire to want to do a few longer swims in that scary deeper water....

I have amassed countless other images of Geelong whilst visiting and now living here. It gets in your blood having a river, waterfront, moody skies, sunrises, rugged coast, shipping, vineyards, cafe's etc

Look me up if your ever downunder this way.

Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Samasama
Samasama Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Re: Geelong, Australia

Hi Rob,

Great pictures that showcase your beautiful place. Reminds me I worked on a bulk carrier and we called at Geelong in 1981 or 39 years ago! to load over 60,000 tons of wheat and took us over a month to sail across the southern Pacific Ocean to Santos, Brazil.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Raphael

-- hide signature --

RS
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3361/3259880665_309c5f9f00_m.jpg

Samasama's gear list:Samasama's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,339

Great set Rob, good timing on the bike shot.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
OP robbo d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,103

ozdean wrote:

Great set Rob, good timing on the bike shot.

Thanks Dean, yes I spied her sitting then moving away. Lucky but I got three shots away either sitting or riding.

Samasama wrote:

Hi Rob,

Great pictures that showcase your beautiful place. Reminds me I worked on a bulk carrier and we called at Geelong in 1981 or 39 years ago! to load over 60,000 tons of wheat and took us over a month to sail across the southern Pacific Ocean to Santos, Brazil.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Raphael

I'm sure things have changed a lot since then....

That's an awful long time to sail?

Benoz
Benoz Veteran Member • Posts: 6,516

Nice pictures, Rob.

Hope you're enjoying Geelong as much (or more) as you liked Perth.

Never been there but the settings look nice.

As soon as I saw #1, the sunset, my thoughts went straight to "Jo-Jo' Restaurant"! 

Is that a viewing tower? Or a Lighthouse?

Cheers,

Ben.

Benoz's gear list:Benoz's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Ricoh GR III Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +5 more

Benoz wrote:

Nice pictures, Rob.

Hope you're enjoying Geelong as much (or more) as you liked Perth.

Never been there but the settings look nice.

As soon as I saw #1, the sunset, my thoughts went straight to "Jo-Jo' Restaurant"!

Is that a viewing tower? Or a Lighthouse?

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

Its just a viewing tower at the end of the pier but not one that's readily accessible. Im not sure if the end part of the building is presently in use.

Geelong is a nice small city, with the city, waterfront and good food all in a compact area.

I still love Perth but a lot of the really good things are a long way from each other.

Beaches .... WA wins hands down but we have some nice shallow play areas for kids.

PentUp Contributing Member • Posts: 580

Great series Rob

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +8 more
flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,741

Absolutely fantastic series! Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads