Nikon D850 odd problem

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
blong10 Junior Member • Posts: 44
Nikon D850 odd problem

So I went out to shoot the full moon tonight and in Live view, it looked like a white blob on the screen without taking a picture. I also couldn't focus on it. My settings were 1/320 F 5.6 ISO 200 I was using silent photography mode 1. However, I noticed if I switch over to silent photography 2 it fixed my white blob on the screen and I could focus. I can focus perfectly when using the viewfinder. Any ideas? I tried a full camera reset and it didn't fix it

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,391
Re: Nikon D850 odd problem

The difference between the two modes is DX area only (#2) or full frame (#1).

There are no differences in autofocus between the modes, so something else must be going on here.

What autofocus point were you using?  Is it possible you had the point on some difficult subject outside the DX frame in mode 1, whereas in mode 2 the AF area would have (I assume) been restricted to the DX area and perhaps on tip of a suitable subject?)

Is the problem repeatable?

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
OP blong10 Junior Member • Posts: 44

I was using the middle autofocus point and as soon as I switched to s2 it immediately made the moon not a white blob. I tested it this morning on something that is not overly bright and it works perfect in s1 with no focus issues. Very strange

fpapp
fpapp Contributing Member • Posts: 892

blong10 wrote:

So I went out to shoot the full moon tonight and in Live view, it looked like a white blob on the screen without taking a picture. I also couldn't focus on it. My settings were 1/320 F 5.6 ISO 200 I was using silent photography mode 1. However, I noticed if I switch over to silent photography 2 it fixed my white blob on the screen and I could focus. I can focus perfectly when using the viewfinder. Any ideas? I tried a full camera reset and it didn't fix it

From the D850 manual. Perhaps this explains it?

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +53 more

Unfortunately that wasn't the issue. As I didn't have it turned on. I'm confused on what it would be. In s1 it didn't want to focus on the moon at all. In s2 it seemed to focus. Strange

Bill Janes Senior Member • Posts: 1,976

blong10 wrote:

Unfortunately that wasn't the issue. As I didn't have it turned on. I'm confused on what it would be. In s1 it didn't want to focus on the moon at all. In s2 it seemed to focus. Strange

To get full resolution, you should definitely be on mode 1, since you will have to crop the image. In this mode the mirror is already up and the electronic shutter prevents shutter shock. It is still important to use a remote shutter release. A shutter delay of 3 seconds would also work.

Last night I also photographed the moon with my D850 with the 500 PF and TC-14e. With live view I could easily focus with normal area AF, using an area with maximal contrast. I used MUP with EFCS and MC-30A shutter release. Exposure was 1/250 s, f/8, ISO 64. According to Photopills, the moon was not quite full and was a waxing gibbous with about 98% illumination.

I processed in LR and PS, using Topaz Sharpen AI.

-- hide signature --

Bill Janes

Almost Full Moon

Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,619
focusing on small, super bright objects

You cannot simply auto focus on stars ! It does not find focus. You have to use tricks.

The moon in "black" sky  is borderline, if it is big in the frame, AF  works. If it is small in the image it tends to appear as an overexposed blog, and the AF sensor is blinded.

Manual exposure setting with fixed ISO helps for proper exposure, when auto does not work.  AF onto a distant terrestrian object, like lights from a village,  may work at night. Otherwise manual focus with max magnification.

Bernard Delley's gear list:Bernard Delley's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

This actually fixed my issue! Thanks I was confused about trying it

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads